University of Virginia School of Law
University of Virginia
BA, 1983, with honors
Brian Goldstein, co-chair of the firm's Business & Technology Group, has over 20 years of experience in the areas of general business, venture capital, technology transactions and M&A.
Mr. Goldstein previously served as Assistant General Counsel at Groundwater Technology, Inc., where he handled SEC reporting; acquisitions, divestitures, and joint ventures; and the sale of a controlling interest of the company to Fluor Daniel.
He is listed in Best Lawyers in America and is named a Massachusetts Super Lawyer.
Business & Technology: general counsel to growth-oriented companies in a variety of industries, including digital media, Internet, software, semiconductors and medical devices, advising on domestic and international licensing and distribution agreements, strategic partnerships and joint ventures and general business counseling. His international practice includes cross-border financings and acquisitions, as well as advice on other US-based activities, for companies headquartered or with significant operations in Israel.
Mergers & Acquisitions: national and cross-border mergers and acquisitions on behalf of public and private companies in a wide range of industries.
Private Equity: recapitalizations and investments in early stage ventures and later stage companies for private equity and venture capital firms.
Venture Capital & Private Equity Matters
- Representation of companies in seed, Series A and follow-on rounds of venture capital financing.
- Representation of Israeli technology companies organized in Delaware in recapitalizations and venture capital investments.
- Representation of syndicate of venture capital, late stage and hedge funds led by Battery Ventures in recapitalization of and investment in ITA Software.
- Representation of Greylock Partners in investments in Facebook and in two China-based companies.
- Representation of Atlas Ventures and Wellington Partners in spinout of software product line from existing company based in Germany and investment in the new enterprise.
- Representation of Breakaway Ventures in several investments in consumer product companies.
- Representation of Broadview Ventures in investments in medical device companies.
Mergers & Acquisitions Matters
- Representation of Shire in strategic investment and “Build to Buy” transactions with Nimbus Discovery, Inception 1 and ArmaGen.
- Representation of venture-backed companies in acquisitions of other businesses for stock and cash.
- Representation of Dotomi, Inc. in $300 million merger with ValueClick.
- Representation of Retail Convergence, Inc. (parent company of Rue La La and SmartBargains e-commerce sites) in $350 million merger with GSI Commerce.
- Representation of Israeli software provider in acquisition by EMC.
- Representation of software provider in acquisition by LANDesk.
- Representation of provider of innovative technology products for military, homeland security and commercial markets in acquisition by Fortune 200 company, including spinout of medical device business excluded from transaction.
- Representation of The Mustang Group, lead sponsor in The Vermont Teddy Bear Co. going-private transaction.
- Representation of Groundwater Technology, Inc., as Assistant General Counsel in acquisitions, divestitures and sale of controlling interest of company to Fluor Daniel with proceeds over $350 million.
Licensing & Strategic Partnerships Matters
- Representation of Israeli-based company in license transaction with Fortune 500 media and cable company.
- Representation of tissue engineering company in R&D collaboration agreement with Fortune 50 consumer products company.
- Representation of semiconductor company in various technology development agreements.
Publications and Presentations
- "Option Deals for Biotech: Ensuring They are Enforceable," author, Mergers & Acquisitions Law360, December 2014.
- "Women’s Enterprise Initiative Business Forum," panelist, Women’s Enterprise Initiative, September 2014.
- “Crisis Management and Tough Judgment Calls in Representing Emerging Growth Companies,” speaker, Practising Law Institute’s Venture Capital 2014: Nuts and Bolts Program, New York, February 2014.
- “Funding Gap for Life Science Companies Is Still a Problem,” co-author, Life Sciences Law360, September 2013.
- “Raising Capital for Start-up Businesses,” panelist, Harvard Business School Association of Boston, February 2013.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. Goldstein is a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. He is also a member of the American Bar Association, Boston Bar Association and Association for Corporate Growth.