Georgetown University Law Center
JD, 1998, cum laude
US District Court, Massachusetts
US Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, District of Columbia
"experienced IT expert"
IAM Patent 1000
Carlos Perez-Albuerne has a national practice focused on litigation and counseling clients with respect to patent, trade secret, copyright and other technology-related issues. Mr. Perez-Albuerne serves as lead attorney on significant litigation matters for several of the largest publicly and privately held companies in the United States. He has litigated matters in many of the Federal Courts, including those in Massachusetts, Delaware, California, Texas, California and Puerto Rico. He has particular expertise in software, computer architecture, networking and telecommunications.
Mr. Perez-Albuerne has been named a Massachusetts Super Lawyer. He was chosen to receive one of the Massachusetts Association of Hispanic Attorney’s inaugural “Latino Leadership Awards” and was a finalist for the Boston Business Journal’s “20 on the Move” award. He has been named a World’s Leading Patent Practitioner by IAM Patent 1000.
Mr. Perez-Albuerne has served as a Special Assistant District Attorney for Suffolk County. In that role he was the lead lawyer on many criminal prosecutions, with responsibility for investigation, preparation and trial of those matters. Prior to law school, Mr. Perez-Albuerne worked at the Eastman Kodak Company.
Intellectual Property Litigation: litigation of disputes involving technology, particularly patent, trademark and trade secret claims and counsels clients with respect to non litigation matters involving intellectual property and data security. Extensive experience advising investors and target entities in the context of transaction diligence and negotiation. Advises clients responding to potential incidents involving security of both consumer data and sensitive business information.
- Lead counsel for Akamai Technologies in patent litigation involving data transmission over the Internet.
CDS v. Akamai Technologies, ED Tx
- Lead counsel in DJ action against NPE regarding patents related to web “click-to-chat” functionality.
LogMeIn Inc. v. Pragmatus Telecom LLC, D Del
- Lead counsel in patent litigation defending claims by NPE regarding flash media server.
Akamai v. Afluo, D Del
- Lead counsel for Fidelity Investments in trade secret case involving dynamic publishing software.
Content Management Associates v. FMR, D Mass
- Lead counsel for Hewlett-Packard in patent litigation involving power management in personal computers.
St. Clair Intellectual Property Associates v. Hewlett-Packard, D DE
- Represented Akamai Technologies in patent infringement litigation involving internet content delivery and traffic management technology. After three week trial, jury returned verdict in favor of Akamai in the amount of more than $45 million, which was named largest verdict of 2008 by Mass Lawyers Weekly and was listed in the top 50 of National Law Journal’s "Top 100 Verdicts of 2008."
Akamai Technologies v. Limelight Networks, Inc, D Mass
- Represented Hewlett-Packard in patent infringement litigation brought by Streamserve, Inc. involving software used for creation and management of large volumes of documents.
Streamserve, Inc. v. HP, D Del
- Represented Hewlett-Packard in patent infringement litigation brought by Polaroid involving digital imaging.
Polaroid v. HP, D Del
- Represented Furukawa Electric North America and its subsidiary, OFS-Fitel, in patent infringement litigation involving methods for manufacture of optical fiber products.
Furukawa Electric North America, Inc. v Yangtze Fibre & Cable Company, Ltd, D Mass
- Represented Akamai Technologies in patent litigation involving internet content delivery and traffic management technology.
Akamai Technologies, Inc v. Speedera Networks, Inc, D Mass
- Represented defendants (now known as GE Water) in patent infringement action involving electrodeionization technology.
US Filter v. Glegg Water Conditioning, D Mass
- Represented Electronic Privacy Information Center which, along with US Telecom Association, successfully challenged FCC’s attempted implementation of regulations that would have unconstitutionally altered the standard for electronic monitoring of individuals.
US Telecom Association v. Federal Communications Commission, US Court of Appeals, DC
Publications and Presentations
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. Perez-Albuerne is actively involved in both national and local bar associations. He has served as a Deputy Regional President and member of the Board of Governors of the National Hispanic Bar Association, and is the immediate Past President of the Massachusetts Association of Hispanic Attorneys.