New York University School of Law
JD, MA, 1989
Editor in Chief, New York University Law Review
St. Lawrence University
BA, 1984, Valedictorian, summa cum laude, Fulbright French Government Teaching Assistant
US District Court, Massachusetts
US Court of Appeals, First & Third Circuits
Honorable Amalya L. Kearse, US Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
Diana Lloyd is co-chair of the firm’s Government Enforcement & Compliance practice group. She has over 20 years of experience in federal and state government enforcement matters, internal investigations and related business and securities litigation. A tenacious and aggressive trial and appellate attorney, Ms. Lloyd has also had considerable success dissuading governmental agencies from pursuing any enforcement or criminal action against her clients. As an Assistant US Attorney in Boston, she received numerous awards for excellence from the US Attorney and various federal law enforcement agencies. Ms. Lloyd has been ranked among the top 50 women and top 100 Massachusetts Super Lawyers, has been recognized as a Massachusetts Super Lawyer since 2005 and is listed in Best Lawyers in America. She has been selected for inclusion in The International Who’s Who of Business Crime Lawyers each year since 2010 and is rated AV Preeminent by Martindale Hubbell.
Government Enforcement & Compliance: extensive experience representing companies and individuals subjected to government investigations or in need of representation in connection with internal corporate investigations.
Complex Financial Litigation & Securities Litigation: handle private and SEC securities litigation, represent individuals and corporate clients before the SEC and FINRA.
Prosecutorial: Assistant US Attorney, Boston in Major Crimes and Economic Crimes Units; Special Assistant District Attorney, Suffolk County District Attorney's Office.
Private Practice: Sullivan & Cromwell, New York; Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom, Boston.
- Special Counsel to the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, for the purpose of conducting an independent inquiry regarding the Massachusetts District Courts and the Boston Municipal Court.
- Defense of corporations, investment advisers and individuals in securities-related investigations, including whistleblower investigations, involving variety of civil and potentially criminal allegations.
- Obtained reversal of federal criminal conviction for multi-year conspiracy involved alleged environmental fraud.
- Representation of major pharmaceutical companies in federal investigations into sales and marketing practices.
- Representation of medical device company in qui tam whistleblower investigation.
- Successful representation of individuals and entities investigated in federal public corruption investigations.
- Defense of former executive of major medical device manufacturer who was acquitted of conspiracy to defraud the US after a lengthy trial.
- Representation of senior executives accused of sophisticated financial fraud.
- Successful representation of numerous individuals in federal healthcare fraud investigations.
Publications and Presentations
- “Q&A With Choate’s Diana Lloyd,” featured, White Collar Law360, April 2013.
- “$104M Whistleblower Award – A Sign of Things to Come,” co-author, Law360, December 2012.
- “SEC/DOJ Developments and Outlook,” moderator, Boston Bar Association CLE Seminar - Securities Fraud 2012: Recent Developments in Enforcement and How SEC Administration Trials May Alter the Landscape, Boston, May 2012.
- “Tough Comp Rules Anticipated Under Dodd-Frank Act,” quoted, Mass Lawyers Weekly, January 2012.
- “Broadening Enforcement of Exec Compensation Clawbacks,” co-author, White Collar Law360, December 2011.
- "Responding to Government Subpoenas and Search Warrants," moderator, Boston Bar Association, November 2011.
- “Five Questions Boards Must Ask About the Whistle-Blower Rule,” author, Agenda Week, July 2011.
- “Liability Without Fault: New Enforcement Trends Against Corporate Executives,” co-author, Bloomberg Law Reports, February 2011.
- “What Every Board Member Needs to Know,” panelist, Association for Corporate Growth Boston Women’s Executive Forum, March 2010.
- “Meet the New US Attorney: A Program with Carmen Ortiz,” moderator, Boston Bar Association, March 2010.
- “Legal Power Couple: Jordan Hershman and Diana Lloyd,” profiled, Law360, February 2010.
- “Gain Insight from Varying States Surrounding Current and Pending Regulations,” moderator, CBI Pharmaceutical Compliance Congress, January 2010.
- “W.R. Grace: Lessons Learned from the Largest Environmental Prosecution in US History,” moderator, Boston Bar Association, October 2009.
- "Responding to a Government Subpoena," presenter, New England Legal Foundation, October 2008.
- Criminal Section Bench/Bar Conference, co-chair, Boston Bar Association, October 2008.
- Criminal Section Health Care Fraud Seminar, co-chair, Boston Bar Association, April 2007.
- “Interacting With Employees,” co-presenter, A Step-By-Step Guide to Conducting Internal Investigations for the Pharmaceutical Industry, American Conference Institute, January 2007.
- “Electronic Discovery in Criminal Cases,” panel moderator, Boston Bar Association, January 2007.
- “Trial Practice Luncheon Roundtable Series: Pretrial Preparation and Jury Issues,” speaker, Massachusetts Bar Association Seminar, July-September, 2006.
- “25 Years of Criminal Enforcement of the Pharmaceutical Industry: Increasing Scrutiny and Shifting Theories,” co-author, Pharmaceutical Executive, August 2006.
- “Off-Label Promotion,” co-author, Pharmaceutical Executive, January 2006.
- “Fundamentals of Preparing and Trying Your First Jury Case,” speaker, Massachusetts Bar Association Seminar, 2003, 2004, 2005.
- “Fiduciary Duties of Directors, Officers and Owners of Closely Held Businesses,” speaker, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education Seminar, 2004.
- “RICO in Federal Civil Litigation,” co-author, Federal Litigation in the First Circuit, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, 2004.
Professional and Community Involvement
Ms. Lloyd is a member of the Boston Bar Association Council and serves on its Executive Committee. She served as co-chair of the Steering Committee for the Criminal Section of the Boston Bar Association from 2008-2010 and has also served on the Board of Trustees of the Women’s Bar Foundation. For six years, Ms. Lloyd was a member of the Federal Criminal Justice Act panel, accepting court appointments to represent indigent defendants in federal criminal cases. She is active in the NYU Law Alumni of New England and has served on various committees for the South Area Solomon Schechter Day School. She has taught in the Citizen Schools Trial Advocacy Program, an after-school enrichment program for Boston public school students. She is also active in Combined Jewish Philanthropies. Ms. Lloyd serves on the firm’s Executive Committee, Operating Committee and Associates Committee, is a former co-chair of the firm’s Hiring Committee and former member of the firm’s Diversity Committee.