Cornell Law School
BA, 1973, with high honors, Phi Beta Kappa
US District Court, Massachusetts
Honorable Joseph L. Tauro, US District Judge, District of Massachusetts
“recommended for his out of the box thinking"
The Legal 500
John Nadas is Chairman of the Firm and a partner in the Litigation Department, specializing in complex litigation. In addition, he currently serves as co-chair of the Firm’s Hiring Committee and its Diversity Committee. For the past 18 years he served as one of the Managing Partners of the Firm, and for the past 24 years he served as a member of the Firm’s Executive Committee.
Mr. Nadas is listed among Best Lawyers in America and named a Massachusetts Super Lawyer. He is recognized in The Legal 500 as a leading lawyer for Insurance and has been elected to the World’s Leading Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers and The International Who’s Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers.
Insurance & Reinsurance Litigation: litigation, arbitration, alternative dispute resolution and counseling of insurance companies with respect to a wide variety of insurance coverage and conduct issues arising out of a broad spectrum of liabilities, exposures and regulatory requirements.
- Representation of insurers in over 125 declaratory judgment actions in more than 20 states.
- Representation of insurers in numerous asbestos coverage actions venued in bankruptcy proceedings.
- Summary judgments for insurer, affirmed on appeal by Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court in multi-million pollution coverage action.
Polaroid v. Travelers
- Summary judgment for insurer, affirmed on appeal by US First Circuit, on leading case concerning application of personal injury coverage for environmental claims.
Dryden Oil v. Travelers
- Representation of reinsurer in leading cases concerning annualization of limits.
AEIC v. Swiss Re
- Representation of various cedents and reinsurers in numerous confidential reinsurance arbitrations relating to pollution and asbestos losses.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. Nadas is a member of the American Law Institute and has lectured on various litigation, insurance and law firm management topics. He is a past member of the Boston Bar Association Diversity Leadership Task Force, a past member of the US District Court Civil Justice Advisory Board, a past Chairman of the US District Court for the District of Massachusetts Merit Selection Panel and a past member of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court’s Working Group on Practicing with Professionalism. He is a member of the American and Boston Bar Associations. He is a member of the Board of Directors of the Boys and Girls Club of Boston, the Board of Directors of the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce and is active in the United Way and other community and charitable organizations.