Boston College Law School
JD, 2009, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
BA, 2006, summa cum laude
US District Court, Massachusetts
Mark DeFeo participated in the firm’s Summer Associate Program in 2008. While in law school, Mr. DeFeo worked as a research assistant for a Boston College copyright law professor, focusing on the enforcement of digital media copyrights. After law school, he was a member of the Boston College Eagle Scholars Fellowship Program, researching ways to restructure international patent law to encourage investments in the treatment of third-world diseases. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. DeFeo worked as an attorney at Babson Capital Management, working on private placement and mezzanine financing transactions, in addition to the formation of a limited partnership investment fund.
Mergers & Acquisitions: mergers, acquisitions and leveraged buyouts for companies in various industries.
Finance: mezzanine and subordinated debt in leveraged buyout transactions and other acquisition financings.
Bankruptcy & Restructuring: workouts, restructurings and bankruptcy proceedings on behalf of debtors and secured and unsecured creditors.
- Assisted with representation of renewable energy company in merger with public company.
- Supported team representing clean-tech company in acquisition of organic materials manufacturer.
- Worked on client team representing software company in recapitalization and receipt of growth equity investment from large private equity firm.
- Assisted in representation of medical device company in sale to strategic buyer.
- Assisted in representation of institutional investors in $42 million issuance of mezzanine debt and common stock in connection with acquisition of large plastics manufacturer.
- Assisted with representation of institutional investors in $30 million issuance of mezzanine debt and common stock in connection with acquisition of international automotive parts manufacturer.
- Defended various trade creditors against preference actions brought or threatened by debtors and trustees.
Publications and Presentations
- “Environmental Claims Get Harder to Discharge," co-author, Bankruptcy Law360, November 2010.
- “Unlocking the iPhone: How Antitrust Law Can Save Consumers from the Inadequacies of Copyright Law,” author, Boston College Law Review, 2008.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. DeFeo is a member of the Boston Bar Association.