Cornell Law School
JD, 2004, magna cum laude
BA, 1998, summa cum laude
US District Court, Massachusetts
Sean Monahan has been named a Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Star.
Finance: complex financial transactions for banks and institutional investors, borrowers and issuers in full range of financings, including asset-based and cash flow financings as well as mezzanine loans and other junior capital investments.
Bankruptcy & Restructuring: represents trustees, debtors, examiners, secured creditors and unsecured creditors in a variety of creditor’s rights and insolvency matters, including workouts, restructurings and bankruptcy proceedings.
Private Equity: commercial financing transactions for private equity funds and their portfolio companies.
- Represented syndicate of banks agented by Bank of America in connection with US and Canadian revolving credit facilities established for Clean Harbors, Inc. and its affiliates.
- Represented syndicate of banks agented by Citibank in connection with revolving and term loan credit facilities established for Washington Capitals NHL team and term loan credit facility established for Washington Wizards NBA team.
- Represented Chapter 11 debtor Western Massachusetts Lifecare Corporation in connection with Section 363 sale of continuing care retirement community located in Massachusetts and plan confirmation.
- Represented Wells Fargo in connection with senior secured credit facility for catalog and online sporting goods retailer.
- Represented Citicorp as agent for syndicate of lenders in connection with credit facilities for acquisition by Craig Leopold of Minnesota Wild and Xcel Energy Center operating rights.
- Represented Bank of America as agent for syndicate of lenders in connection with $1.45 billion credit facility established by Office of Commissioner of Major League Baseball for twenty-two clubs.
- Represented private equity client in connection with $61 million senior secured revolving, term loan and equipment advance credit facilities for one of client’s portfolio companies with operations in California and Oregon.
- Represented Chapter 11 Trustee of High Voltage Engineering Corporation with $200 million asset sale, debtor-in-possession financing facility and various other matters.
- Represented RBS Business Capital in connection with Article 9 sales of video production company with operations in New York, California and Colorado.
- Represented private equity client in connection with $41 million senior secured credit facility and $19 million mezzanine facility for one of client’s portfolio companies.
- Represented insurance companies in resolving premium disputes and coverage obligations in numerous bankruptcy proceedings throughout United States, including Delaware, New York and Massachusetts.
- Represented Thompson Publishing Group and its affiliates in connection with Section 363 sale of its business divisions located in Texas, Georgia, Florida and Washington, DC.
- Represented TD Bank in connection with $20 million senior secured credit facility to one of largest hair care franchise organizations in the United States.
- Represented JPMorgan Chase as agent for syndicate of lenders in connection with credit facility required to construct new ballpark for Miami Marlins.
- Represented Citicorp as agent for syndicate of lenders in connection with credit facility for Roush Fenway Racing NASCAR team.
Publications and Presentations
- “Debtor’s Counsel, Be Careful Who You Help,” co-author, Bankruptcy Law360, March 2013.
- “Viewpoint: Court Ruling Endangers 'Credit Bidding',” co-author, American Banker, April 2010.
- “A Shifting Tide for Secured Lenders,” co-author, Law360, November 2009.
- “Bankruptcy Law Conference,” faculty member, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Boston, October 2008.
- “A Tempest in a Teapot: State Sovereign Immunity and Federal Administrative Adjudications in Federal Maritime Comm’n v. South Carolina State Ports Authority,” author, Cornell Law Review, 2003.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. Monahan is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute, the Turnaround Management Association, the Boston Bar Association and the Massachusetts Bar Association. He lives in Salem, Massachusetts, with his wife and daughters.