University of North Carolina School of Law
JD, 2001, cum laude
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
PhD, 1993, Chemical Engineering
University of South Carolina
US Patent & Trademark Office
William Haulbrook specializes in building comprehensive patent portfolios to support clients’ business objectives in the US, Europe and Asia. Dr. Haulbrook was named an “IP Star” by Managing Intellectual Property in 2013 and one of the “Top Ten Intellectual Property Lawyers Influencing Nanotechnology” by Nanotechnology Law and Business in 2008.
Intellectual Property Prosecution: procurement and enforcement of intellectual property rights, with emphasis on strategic development of US and foreign patent portfolios, patent infringement and validity opinions, reexaminations, oppositions, patent licensing and general IP diligence in a variety of fields, including medical imaging and diagnostics, computer software, nanocomposites, advanced materials, industrial processes, polymers and composites, energy, semiconductor manufacturing, industrial chemistry and petroleum processing.
Due Diligence: advise technology companies and investors on patent enforcement, validity, infringement, risk assessment, freedom to operate and related issues.
Dr. Haulbrook worked as an engineer in the chemical industry prior to his legal practice.
- Ongoing representation of large medical imaging and diagnostics company with respect to IP protection and strategic partnerships.
- Development of patent portfolios for start-ups, venture-backed companies, public companies and research institutions.
- Advising clients in patent reexaminations, oppositions and pre-litigation strategies.
- Advising clients in joint development agreements and IP licensing issues.
- Performing IP diligence for clients seeking investor financing.
- Performing IP diligence for inventors interested in technology companies.
Publications and Presentations
- “Walking the Line: Advice for Patent Agents on Interacting with Clients without Direct Attorney Supervision,” panelist, Boston Patent Law Association Seminar, Boston, November 2013.
- “Clean Energy Fellowship Program,” panelist, New England Clean Energy Council, Boston, August 2008.
- “Strategic Choices in Nanotech Funding and IP Protection,” moderator, Nano Science and Technology Institute Conference, Boston, June 2008.
- “Nanotechnology: Strategies for Securing and Protecting Patents and Copyrights,” panelist, Strafford Publications CLE Teleconference, April 2008.
- “Nanotech Patents: Tips for Getting the Patent Protection You Need,” co-author and presenter, Nano Science and Technology Institute Conference, Santa Clara, May 2007.
- “Getting a Handle on the Software Patent Explosion,” author, IPFrontline, January 2006; Patent Strategy and Management, November 2005.
Professional and Community Involvement
Dr. Haulbrook serves on the MIT Prelaw Advisory Board, counseling MIT students and graduates interested in the legal profession. He is also a member of the American Bar Association, the Massachusetts Bar Association and the American Intellectual Property Law Association.