Alexander Augst advises clients in a wide variety of IP matters with a focus on procurement and commercialization of patent portfolios in a broad range of biomedical technologies. His background in academic technology transfer and his previous experience gained at an international law firm provide him with a deep understanding of the needs of a variety of clients, from academic institutions to start-ups and large corporations.
Intellectual Property Protection: prepares patent applications across the biopharmaceutical area, conducts related research including prior art and infringement analyses and prepares contentions, charts and briefs in patent litigation.
Prior to joining Choate, Dr. Augst was an associate at an international law firm where his practice focused on patent prosecution in the bio/pharma space and IP diligence in large commercial transactions.
Previously, Dr. Augst was an IP licensing manager at a major Boston area hospital where he performed business and IP analyses of inventions predominantly in the medical device space, prepared marketing materials, and negotiated and prepared a variety of agreements related to technology transactions.
Dr. Augst obtained his PhD from Imperial College London, where he developed computational models of blood flow in arteries, based on 3D ultrasound imaging. Subsequently, Dr. Augst was a post-doctoral researcher at Imperial College London, MIT and Harvard University, where he performed research in the area of cell and tissue engineering and cell-biomaterial interactions.
- Drafted and prosecuted patent applications in the biopharmaceutical area
- Performed IP due diligence in large-scale M&A and other transactions
- Drafted IP licenses and related agreements
- Negotiated and assisted in drafting licenses and collaboration agreements
Publications and Presentations
- “Biosimilars 2014 in review and what to expect in 2015”, co-author, The Biotech Connection at Boston, 2015.
- “Low wall shear stress predicts subsequent development of wall hypertrophy in lower limb bypass grafts,” co-author, Artery Research, 2009.
- “Effects of chondrogenic and osteogenic regulatory factors on bone-cartilage composites engineered using human bone marrow stem cells, silk scaffolds and bioreactors,” co-author, Journal of the Royal Society, Interface, 2008.
- “Analysis of complex flow and the relationship between blood pressure, wall shear stress and intima-media thickness in the human carotid artery,“ co-author American Journal of Physiology- Heart and Circulatory Physiology, 2007.
- “Alginate Hydrogels as Biomaterials," co-author, Macromolecular Bioscience, 2006.
- “Composite bone-cartilage tissue constructs grown using human bone marrow stromal cells, silk scaffolds and rotating bioreactors,” co-author, Biomaterials, 2006.
- “Application of Ultrasound-Based Computational Fluid Dynamics to Modelling Blood Flow in the Carotid Bifurcation,” co-author, International Volumes on Medical Imaging Systems, 2005.
- “Various issues relating to CFD simulations of carotid bifurcation flow based on models reconstructed from 3D ultrasound images,” co-author, Journal of Engineering in Medicine, Part H, 2003.
- “Accuracy and reproducibility of CFD predicted wall shear stress using 3D ultrasound images,” co-author, Trans. ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 2003.
- “Reproducibility study of magnetic resonance based computational fluid dynamics prediction of carotid bifurcation flow,” co-author, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 2003.
- “Comparison of the effects of antihypertensive treatment with angiotensin II blockade and beta blockade on carotid wall structure and haemodynamics: protocol and baseline demographics,” co-author, Journal of the Renin Angiotensin Aldosterone System, 2002.
- “MR based CFD cardiovascular modelling: a reproducibility study on carotid blood flow,” co-author, Hypertension, 2002.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. Augst is a member of the Licensing Executives Society, the Boston Bar Association, the American Bar Association and the German-American Business Council of Boston. He is also past co-chair of the IP Committee of the Massachusetts Biotechnology Council and served on the AdvaMed Conference 2012 Organizing Committee.
Education & Credentials
- Suffolk University Law School
- JD, 2014
- Imperial College London
- PhD, 2003, Biomedical Engineering
- City University
- MEng, 1999