Art Meyers is listed in Chambers USA and Best Lawyers in America.
Executive & Equity Compensation: advises senior executives and boards on all matters relating to executive compensation, including employment, severance and change in control arrangements. Advises public and closely held entities on tax, corporate, employment and securities law aspects of equity compensation plans.
Employee Benefit Plans:counsels profit and not-for-profit employers on the design, implementation and administration of tax-qualified retirement plans, nonqualified deferred compensation plans and welfare benefit plans.
ERISA: serves as ERISA counsel to plan fiduciaries and private funds.
- Negotiates and drafts executive employment, consulting, severance and change of control agreements.
- Advises public and private entities on tax, corporate, employment law and securities law aspects of equity compensation plans.
- Structures and documents nonqualified deferred compensation arrangements and their funding vehicles, including compliance with tax code section 409A.
- Consults on document and operational compliance issues relating to tax-qualified retirement plans and welfare benefit plans, including determination letters, agency correction programs, plan investments, fiduciary conduct and IRS/DOL controversies.
- Advises on executive compensation, ERISA and employee benefit plan issues arising in connection with mergers, acquisitions, credit facilities and other business transactions, including transition services agreements, plan spin-offs and transfers, multiemployer plan withdrawal liability, COBRA and golden parachute payments.
- Counsels private equity funds on ERISA plan asset, prohibited transaction and common control issues relating to their formation and maintenance.
- Provides technical assistance in ERISA litigation and other controversies with respect to matters such as option vesting, severance, workforce reductions, post-retirement medical benefits, fiduciary duties, benefits claims and withdrawal liability.
Publications and Presentations
- “Board Recruitment: What Do Investors Want?” moderator, SCG Eastern New England Conference, November 2017.
- “Hot Topics in Equity Compensation,” panelist, The 25th Annual NASPP Conference, October 2017.
- “Best Practices for Insider Trading Policies,” panelist, The 25th Annual NASPP Conference, October 2017.
- “Moving the Goals Posts: Navigating Changes in Performance-Based Equity Awards,” panelist, E*Trade Directions 2017 client conference, May 2017.
- “Compensation Committees & Executive Compensation Governance, Alignment and Retention,” panelist, Financial Executives International Chapter Meeting Boston, May 2017.
- "Trick...or Treat? Ten Terrifying 162(m) Traps & How to Avoid Them," speaker, NASPP Conference, October 2016.
- "Madder Than a Wet Hen: The Top 10 Mistakes in Grant Agreements," speaker, NASPP Conference, October 2016.
- "An Advanced Course on Pay Ratio," panelist, 7th Annual Executive Compensation Summit, June 2016.
- “Parents and Their Children: Making it Work With Your Overseas Subsidiaries,” speaker, GEO 17th Annual Conference, April 2016.
- “Fight Club: When Plan Design & Administration Collide,” panelist, National Association for Stock Plan Professionals Annual Conference, October 2015.
- "Performance Grants Take Center Stage," speaker, Global Equity Organization Chapter Meeting, September 2015.
- "Protecting Your Company's Stock Plans in Today's Environment," speaker, ACC-Northeast Chapter Webinar, November 2014.
- “Hiring and Firing Executives: Equity Compensation Issues” and “Pay Ratio: Exploring Some ‘Other Statistical Methods,’” panelist, 6th Annual Regional Conference of Connecticut/Boston Chapters of the National Association of Stock Plan Professionals, Boston, July 2014.
- “Q&A With Choate’s Arthur Meyers,” featured, Employment Law360, March 2013.
- “Section 162(m): Keeping Your Executive Compensation Deductions Safe from the Tax Man,” panelist, 20th Annual National Association of Stock Plan Professionals Conference, New Orleans, October 2012.
- “Today’s Hottest Topics in Stock Compensation,” panelist, 19th Annual National Association of Stock Plan Professionals Conference, San Francisco, November 2011.
- “RSU Award Acceptance,” contributor, The Corporate Executive, May 2011.
- “Preparing Now for 2011 Tax Increases and Beyond: Internal Pay Equity and Dodd-Frank—Time to Get a Head Start,” contributor, The Corporate Executive, September 2010.
- "Face Your Demons: How You and Your Stock Plan Lawyer Can Work Together More Effectively," panelist, 18th Annual National Association of Stock Plan Professionals Conference, Chicago, September 2010.
- Tax and Legal Considerations for Performance Plans,” speaker, National Association of Stock Plan Professionals’ Practical Guide to Performance-Based Awards, Chicago, September 2010.
- “Planning for Taxes Due Upon Vesting of Performance Awards,” contributor, The Corporate Executive, May 2010.
- “New Rules for Proxy Statement Disclosure,” panelist, National Association of Stock Plan Professionals Chapter Meeting, Boston, February 2010.
- “New Regulations on Employee Stock Purchase Plans,” author, Law360, December 2009.
- “The Roadmap: How – and Why – to Implement Net Exercises,” speaker, National Association of Stock Plan Professionals, 17th Annual Conference, San Francisco, November 2009.
- "Section 162(m) for Dummies," panelist, National Association of Stock Plan Professionals, 16th Annual Conference, New Orleans, October 2008.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. Meyers is a member of the American Bar Association, National Association of Corporate Directors, National Center for Employee Ownership, New England Compensation Consortium, New England Employee Benefits Council and the Society of Corporate Secretaries & Governance Professionals. He is a member of the Executive Advisory Committee of the National Association of Stock Plan Professionals. He serves on the Executive Compensation Task Force, a division of CompensationStandards.com, and on the advisory board of mystockoptions.com, a website providing extensive content and modeling tools for stock option holders. From 1998 to 2004, Mr. Meyers served as president of the Boston Chapter of the National Association of Stock Plan Professionals.
Education & Credentials
- University of Michigan Law School
- JD, 1981
- University of Michigan
- BA, 1977
Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business recognized 34 Choate lawyers as leading counsel in their respective fields, with six receiving Band 1 rankings.