Chris Nelson is a partner in Choate's Private Equity Group, focusing on growth equity, buyouts and other flavors of private equity.
Mr. Nelson brings to his clients a broad range of experience in counseling private equity funds, management teams, companies and entrepreneurs in a variety of business transactions, including growth equity, venture capital and buyout investments, mergers and acquisitions, private securities offerings, senior and subordinated debt financings, sophisticated technology transfers and licensing transactions, and equity-based compensation arrangements.
His practice is equally split between guiding growth equity, venture capital, buyout and other private equity funds through their direct investments in or acquisitions of prospective portfolio companies and in advising companies (and/or management teams and entrepreneurs) that are growth equity, private equity or venture-backed endeavors. His extensive experience with both capital sources and private equity or venture-backed companies provides him with a unique perspective on the concerns of each party in these transactions and allows him to anticipate issues and to structure solutions that work for both sides.
Chris has served as lead outside counsel in each of the following:
- $350m sale of The Tennis Channel to Sinclair Broadcast Group (NASDAQ: SBGI).
- Columbia Capital investment in and restructuring of SoundHouse, LLC.
- Columbia Capital and Rho Ventures investment in Mandalay Sports Media, LLC.
- Beecken Petty O'Keefe & Company acquisition of Southern Anesthesia & Surgical, Inc. (spin out from PSI World Medical which is now part of Mckesson).
- Outside general counsel- Access Sports Media, Inc., various financings and strategic transactions. Outside general counsel - Tennis Channel, various financings and strategic transactions.
- Outside general counsel - Tennis Channel, various financings and strategic transactions.
- Outside general counsel - Aspen Aerogels, Inc. (NYSE: ASPN) ,various financings and strategic transactions.
- Pavilion Medical Innovations, LLC initial incubator financing and subsequent spin-out and financings of Saphena Medical, Inc., Kaleidoscope, LLC and Cruzar Medical, Inc.
- M/C Partners investment in Coral Wireless and subsequent sale to Verizon Wireless.
- Battery Ventures, Bain Capital, Columbia Capital investment in the Tennis Channel.
- Mandalay Sports Media, LLC investment in OYO Sportstoys, Inc.
- Columbia Capital investment in Nuvo TV (now known as Fuse Media).
- Catalyst Health Ventures investment in Vortex Medical,Inc.
- Sale of Vortex Medical, Inc. to Angiodynamics, Inc. (NASDAQ: ANGO).
- Great Hill Partners sale ofTriVin, Inc. to American Capital (NASDAQ: ACAS).
- Catalyst Health Ventures investment in LumeRx, Inc.
- Catalyst Health Ventures investment in Novazyme, Inc. (purchased by Genzyme).
- Biotrove, Inc. in its sale to Life Technologies (later acquired by Thermo Fisher Scientific).
- Great Hill Partners investment and multiple financings in support of radio station rollup.
- Spryance, Inc. sale to Transcend Technologies (later acquired by Nuance).
Education & Credentials
New England School of Law
JD, 1992 magna cum laude
University of New Hampshire
We were honored to host a discussion focusing on the theme of Private Equity and Venture Capital investment opportunities in the Autonomous Vehicles (AV) and Smart Cities space.