David Brown is a partner in Choate's Business & Technology Group.
Mergers & Acquisitions: structuring and negotiating M&A transactions for public and private companies, including complex US and international asset and stock acquisitions involving all types of mergers, acquisitions, leveraged buyouts and going private transactions for technology, service, manufacturing and distribution companies.
Venture Capital & Search Funds: representation of technology companies in all phases of venture finance and formation of search funds and representation in connection with acquisitions, debt and equity financings and general corporate matters.
Outsourcing, Licensing & Joint Ventures: structuring and negotiating complex international outsourcing and joint venture arrangements and technology licensing agreements.
- Netherlands based multi-national corporation and leading provider of digital maps in connection with mergers and acquisitions, outsourcing arrangements and securities law advice.
- Multi-national corporation engaged in manufacture and sale of communications equipment in connection with sale to publicly-held competitor, including negotiation and documentation of acquisition agreement and preparation of registration statement for filing with Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Formation of search fund and representation of fund in connection with initial funding and subsequent acquisition of medical instrument distribution company, including services related to debt and equity financings.
- Publicly-held testing services and instrumentation company in connection with reorganization with parent company and majority-owed subsidiary, including preparation of all necessary registration statements and proxy materials with Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Financial services software company in connection with negotiation of licensing agreements with major international financial institutions.
Publications and Presentations
Regular lecturer on search funds at Harvard Business School, MIT Sloan School of Management, Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth, Yale School of Management and Northwestern Kellogg School of Management.
- "Advanced Search Fund Topics,” speaker, Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University, February 2014.
- "Industry Drill Down: Healthcare, Life Sciences and Technology," moderator, Thomson Reuters’ Northeastern M&A/Private Equity Forum, December 2013.
- "Entrepreneurship Through Buying a Company," speaker, MIT Martin Trust Center for Entrepreneurship’s Entrepreneurship Through Buying a Company, November 2012.
- “Same Rules, Different Ball Game,” quoted, The Deal Pipeline, December 2011.
- “Walking the Funding Tightrope: Essentials for Success,” panelist, Harvard Business School Entrepreneurship Club’s Entrepreneurship Conference, January 2008.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. Brown is a member of the Firm’s Executive Committee.
Education & Credentials
- Suffolk University Law School
- JD, 1982, cum laude
- Bowdoin College
- BA, 1977