David Currie has over 25 years of experience handling a broad range of real estate matters, including acquisitions, financing, leasing and development. Additionally, Mr. Currie has substantial in-house experience, having served as general counsel/chief legal officer for three companies actively involved in commercial real estate, most recently at The Davis Companies, a fully integrated real estate investment, management and development company where he was responsible for all legal matters.
Mr. Currie is listed in Best Lawyers in America.
Real Estate: represents real estate investors and developers in acquisitions, dispositions, financing and development of office, retail, warehouse, industrial, healthcare, and multi-family properties, as well as landlords and tenants in office, retail, lab and industrial leases.
Commercial Finance: represents lenders in financing of sports stadiums, retail stores, mixed-use projects, healthcare facilities and office and industrial properties, note sales, foreclosures and loan workouts.
Joint Ventures: represents sponsors, as well as capital partners, in complex joint venture agreements.
- Representation of multinational corporation in 350,000 sf build-to-suit office and lab development – awarded Suburban Deal of the Year by the Commercial Brokers Association.
- $480,000,000 construction and permanent financing of 18,000 seat professional sports arena and related infrastructure.
- $345,000,000 credit facility for the development and construction of 41,500 seat multi-purpose sports, entertainment and recreation facility.
- Counsel to real estate private equity fund in acquisition of numerous fee, leasehold and debt interests in office, retail, industrial andmulti-family properties, including:
- Acquisition of non-performing $23 million mortgage loan secured by 190,000 square foot office complex and consummation of subsequent deed-in-lieu of foreclosure.
- Acquisition of 248,000 square foot industrial/warehouse property and negotiation of related joint venture.
- $13.25 million acquisition and related financing of 105,000 square foot retail property and negotiation of related joint venture with local operating partner.
- $33 million acquisition at foreclosure and related financing of two office buildings totaling 267,000 square feet.
- $35 million acquisition and related financing of six-building office/flex/warehouse complex.
- Acquisition and related financing of non-performing mortgage loan secured by six-building complex and consummation of subsequent deed-in-lieu of foreclosure from over 30 tenant-in-common investors.
- Represented real estate investment syndicate in acquisition and related financing of pool of six performing commercial mortgages located in five states.
- Acquisition of 150,000 square foot medical office building in joint venture with physician tenants and related financing.
- Negotiation of joint venture for acquisition and development of 168-unit 40B housing project.
- Represented healthcare company in acquisition and related financing of industrial property and securing of local and state permits and approvals for redevelopment as 60-bed rehabilitation hospital.
- Represented distressed debt investor in acquisition of $53 million in distressed loans from US Department of Housing and Urban Development, related financing, and liquidation or restructuring of subject loans.
- Closing and subsequent restructuring of $35 million revolving credit facility for senior housing company.
- $150 million acquisition and subsequent refinancing of chain of six senior housing facilities.
Publications and Presentations
- “Life Science 101: What Brokers Should Know about Life Sciences Transactions,” panelist, Commercial Brokers Association Breakfast Program Series, May, 2017.
- “Real World Challenges in Property Acquisition,” panelist, 4th Annual Real Estate General Counsel Forum, September 2014.
- “Property Acquisition: Due Diligence, War Stories & Checklists,” moderator, 3rd Annual Real Estate General Counsel Forum East, September 2013.
- “Loan Documentations, Deficiencies, Lender Liability & Cure Options” and “Note Sales/Acquisitions/Distressed Debt Investing: What an In-House Real Estate Lawyer Needs to Know,” panelist, The 2nd Western Real Estate General Counsel’s Forum, May 2013.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. Currie has lectured on a variety of real estate topics at organizations such as the Information Management Network, Law Seminars International, Commercial Brokers Association, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc., the greater Springfield Chamber of Commerce, the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, Professional Educational Systems, Inc., the Boston Bar Association and the Metrowest Center for Continuing Education.
Mr. Currie is a member of the NAIOP and has been appointed to its National Trends in Real Estate Development IV Forum.
Mr. Currie has also served on the Board of Directors of Robert F. Kennedy Action Corps., Inc. and the Andover School of Montessori. He is a member of the Andover Massachusetts Housing Trust Fund Board and an Assistant Treasurer of the South Church of Andover.
Education & Credentials
- Cornell Law School
- JD, 1988, cum laude
- Senior Editor, Cornell Law Review
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- BS, 1985
Choate recently represented client U.S. Bank National Association as Administrative Agent and a Lender in connection with a senior secured loan to Chicago Baseball Holdings, LLC, Chicago Cubs Baseball Club, LLC and certain of their affiliates.