John Meltaus leads entrepreneurs, operating companies, and investors through their most strategic transactions and business matters in the United States and North America, Europe and the United Kingdom, and Asia. John has teamed seamlessly with senior executives of leading technology, life science, and industrial companies, and managing directors of prominent venture, growth equity, and corporate investors for over 30 years. John regularly partners with his colleagues at Choate and with premier and specialty law firms around the world to deliver best-in-class representation.
John is recognized for his commitment to clients, business acumen, practical advice and success in achieving business objectives – often advising clients on novel transactions and inventive solutions. While his dedication and business savvy have served to forge business relationships with founders, investors, executives, and board members that have spanned decades, John also enthusiastically embraces the newest clients and their business pursuits – representing clients in a range of industries including healthcare services, life sciences, AI, EdTech, FinTech, Industrial, IoT, RE Tech, SaaS, space technology, and telecom.
John has represented strategic and financial investors in control transactions, growth equity and venture financings; operating companies in public and private financings, buy-side acquisitions, and sales to private equity or strategic buyers; and first-time and serial entrepreneurs in their latest ventures. With an extraordinary range of experiences on which to draw – from helping clients to raise funds when markets are tight, to counseling them through “irrational exuberance,” to guiding them through regrouping in the wake of burst bubbles and downturns, to aiding them in pivoting and finding new financing, to working to maximize liquidity and capitalizing on success – John is able to provide clients with the right advice at the right moments. Clients are drawn to John when it’s their investments and returns at stake, they are personally working with counsel, and they want the deal done carefully and advantageously.
- Boston “Lawyer of the Year” for Technology according to Best Lawyers
- The Best Lawyers in America
- Represented Cohort Intelligence Corporation, a provider of value based virtual healthcare, in a Series B financing from prominent healthcare services investment funds.
- Represented Sosei Group Corporation and its subsidiary Heptares Therapeutics Limited, an international biopharmaceutical group which is listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, in an equity transaction with Biohaven Pharmaceutical Holding Company Limited, a commercial-stage biopharmaceutical company.
- Represented Sosei Heptares in an equity and collaboration agreement with Tempero Bio, Inc. and its sponsor Aditum Bio, an investment firm focused on acquiring and developing biotechnology assets.
- Represented OneWeb Global Limited, a global satellite communications company, in a $1.25 billion investment round led by SoftBank Group Corp., Grupo Salinas, Qualcomm Technologies Inc., and the Government of Rwanda.
- Represented Carom Growth Partners in a Series D financing of Clockworks Analytics, a provider of cloud-based smart building analytics solutions.
- Represented Nextgengolf, Inc., a provider of innovative experiences and solutions for high school, college, and urban golf markets, in a strategic transaction with the PGA of America.
- Represented EnterpriseDB Corporation, the enterprise Postgres, open source-based data management provider, in its sale to Great Hill Partners, a leading growth-oriented private equity firm.
- Represented Trinity Partners, LLC, a leading life sciences commercialization strategy and analytics firm, in an investment by Parthenon Capital, a leading growth-oriented private equity firm.
- Represented Arsenal Growth, a growth equity investor, in an investment in Sayari Labs, Inc., a global leader in financial intelligence and supply chain risk solutions.
- Represented eSPED, Inc., a leading provider of SaaS solutions for the education market, in its sale to Frontline Education, an education software provider, via its financial sponsor Insight Venture Partners.
- Represented OneWeb in a $1.7 billion investment round led by SoftBank Group Corp.
- Represented HighRoads, Inc., a provider of health plan product management services, in a Series A financing from leading HealthIT investors.
- Represented Omtool, Ltd., a provider of enterprise document capture, fax, and workflow solutions, in its sale to Upland Software, Inc., a provider of cloud-based Enterprise Work Management software.
- Venture capital financings and private equity transactions for companies in the U.S., Canada, and the European Union.
- Acquisitions of public and private operating companies in the U.S., Europe, and Asia.
- U.S. expansion through new operations and through acquisitions for companies headquartered in the UK, European Union, and Asia.
- Company-side IPOs and secondary offerings for technology and manufacturing companies.
- Underwriter-side IPOs and secondary offerings for major investment banks.
- SEC compliance for Nasdaq National Market companies.
- Key license, distribution, and OEM deals for technology vendors.
- Management compensation, equity, and liquidity plans.
Publications and Presentations
- The University of Chicago Booth School of Business - Selective Entrepreneurship and Search Fund Topics.
- "Crossing the Border: Key Legal Considerations in Acquiring a US-based Company," co-author, Enterprise Ireland.
- "Boardroom Dynamics in 2010: Changing Roles for Management, Independent and Investor Directors," moderator, Association of Corporate Counsel Conference - Northeast Chapter, Boston.
- “Six Deadly M&A Sins,” quoted, Chief Executive.
Education & Credentials
- Boston College Law School
- JD, 1987
- Boston University
- BA, 1983, magna cum laude
Forty-four of our attorneys – including more than 75 percent of the Firm’s equity partners – have been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2021.
More than 75 percent of the Firm’s equity partners have been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2020.
Choate represented OneWeb in its recent $1.25 billion financing round led by Japanese tech giant SoftBank.
Choate announced today that 48 of its attorneys – more than 75 percent of the Firm’s equity partners – have been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2019.