John Meltaus is a partner in Choate's Business & Technology Group. He is listed in Best Lawyers in America.
Business & Technology: corporate, executive and board advice on key legal, financing and business matters, company representation, international expansion, corporate governance, intellectual property and major commercial transactions for businesses ranging from start-ups, to pre-IPO companies, to global public companies.
Corporate & Securities: public and private financings, underwritten offerings, venture capital and private equity transactions, corporate investments, debt financings and SEC and market compliance.
Mergers & Acquisitions: public and private mergers, buyouts, strategic acquisitions, cross-border expansions and trade sales, exit transactions, tender offers, leveraged buyouts and spin-offs across a range of industries.
- Venture capital financings and private equity transactions for companies in U.S., Canada and European Union.
- Acquisitions of public and private operating companies in U.S., Europe and Asia.
- Sell-side M&A transactions, including public-to-public mergers and private sales of venture-backed companies, with proceeds ranging to $4 billion.
- U.S. expansion through new operations and through acquisitions, for companies headquartered in European Union and Asia.
- Company-side IPOs and secondary offerings for technology and manufacturing companies.
- Underwriter-side IPOs and secondary offerings for major investment banks.
- SEC compliance for Nasdaq National Market companies.
- Key license, distribution and OEM deals for technology vendors.
- Management compensation, equity and liquidity plans.
Publications and Presentations
- "Crossing the Border: Key Legal Considerations in Acquiring a US-based Company," co-author, Enterprise Ireland, February 2010.
- "Boardroom Dynamics in 2010: Changing Roles for Management, Independent and Investor Directors," moderator, Association of Corporate Counsel Conference - Northeast Chapter, Boston, January 2010.
- “Six deadly M&A sins,” quoted, Chief Executive magazine, October 2009.
Education & Credentials
- Boston College Law School
- JD, 1987
- Boston University
- BA, 1983, magna cum laude
Choate represented Bradford Networks, Inc., an Internet-of-Things (IoT) company focused on network security and automation, in its acquisition by Fortinet, Inc., a strategic buyer.
Choate recently represented Trinity Partners, LLC in its investment from Parthenon Capital Partners.