Mr. Naughton is a partner in the Business & Technology Group. He is a former member of the Firm’s Executive Committee and former co-Chair of the Business & Technology Practice.
Mr. Naughton is listed in Best Lawyers in America, and has been listed in The Legal 500 for middle-market mergers and acquisitions work, as well as in Chambers USA on multiple occasions as a leading lawyer in the areas of corporate law and mergers and acquisitions. Irish America magazine selected him for their "Top Legal 100," a list of the most influential Irish-Americans in the legal profession. Mr. Naughton also has been listed as a Massachusetts Super Lawyer on multiple occasions.
Business & Technology: represents growth-oriented companies ranging from start-up stage to global public companies in a wide range of industries. He counsels these companies in connection with initial formation, financings, licensing and strategic partnerships, acquisitions and corporate governance. A significant portion of his work in this area involves cross-border transactions.
Mergers & Acquisitions: national and international mergers and acquisitions on behalf of both strategic and financial entities, including mergers, acquisitions, sales and leveraged buyouts.
Cross-Border: regularly counsels UK, Irish, Canadian, and other non-US companies and investment firms in connection with activities in the US, including acquisitions, financings, licenses and strategic partnerships.
Private Equity: representation of private equity and venture capital funds in connection with their investment activities, including minority and growth equity investments, acquisitions, recapitalizations and dispositions.
- Representation of real-time behavioral marketing company in sale to multinational software corporation.
- Representation of numerous companies in seed, Series A and successive rounds of venture capital and growth equity financings.
- Representation of leading private equity firm in acquisition and disposition of multiple portfolio companies in consumer retail industry.
- Representation of European-based software company in acquisition of technology from Microsoft IP Ventures.
- Representation of leading venture capital firm in financing of healthcare IT company.
- Representation of venture capital-backed company in license transaction with Fortune 200 financial services company.
- Representation of portfolio company of UK-based private equity firm in acquisition of US company to launch operations in the US.
- Representation of digital media company in formation and multiple rounds of financings to fund growth of operations in China.
- Representation of founder-owned digital asset management company in sale to leading private equity firm.
- Representation of European-based venture capital-backed company in reorganization into Delaware corporation and related round of venture capital financing.
- Representation of leading US venture capital firm in financing of Canadian-based e-commerce company.
- Representation of software company in sale to Nasdaq-listed company.
- Representation of publicly-traded company in connection with strategic partnership with Fortune 500 company.
Publications and Presentations
- "State of the Legal Market for 2017-2018,” panel, Boston Legal Market 2017 Conference, October 2017.
- "Let's Make a U.S. Deal," co-author, Best Lawyers Winter Business Edition, December 2015.
- "A New Century in Transatlantic Business Links," panelist, Irish Network USA Annual Conference, November 2015.
- "What Technology Companies Need to Know About Navigating the U.S. Legal System,” presenter, Launch In US Alliance, December 2011.
- “Key Issues in Complex M&A,” panelist, Association of Corporate Counsel, Northeast Chapter, December 2011
- “Challenges and Opportunities in Seeking Funding from U.S. VCs,” presenter, Swissnex Boston, June 2011.
- “Mini Seedcamp New York,” mentor, Seedcamp, New York, June 2011.
- “Obtaining U.S. Venture Capital in the New Paradigm,” author, AccountAbility Way, October 2010.
- "Crossing the Border: Key Legal Considerations in Acquiring a U.S.-based Company," co-author, Enterprise Ireland, February 2010.
- “How to Hit a Homer with a VC,” co-author, Business & Finance, January 2010.
- “Startups Learn to Stretch their Finances,” quoted, Mass High Tech, December 2009.
- “Drafting Commercial Documents – Equity Financing Agreements,” presenter, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education.
- “Acquiring Technology Companies – Key Legal Considerations,” presenter, International Acquisitions Conference, Dublin, Ireland, September 2007.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. Naughton is a member of the Boston Bar Association and a former member of the firm’s Executive Committee.
Mr. Naughton is one of three co-founders of the Holy Cross Emerging Technologies Group, an alumni affinity group of the College of the Holy Cross.
Education & Credentials
- Boston College Law School
- JD, 1997, magna cum laude
- Notes & Comments Editor, Boston College Law Review
- College of the Holy Cross
- BA, 1993
- Honorable Jonathan Steinberg
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Veterans Claims
Choate announced today that 48 of its attorneys – more than 75 percent of the Firm’s equity partners – have been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2019.
The United States Bureau of Economic Analysis (“BEA”) is conducting a benchmark survey using form BE-12 that seeks financial and operating data about U.S. affiliates of foreign multinational enterprises.