Meg Ives is a partner in the Firm’s Intellectual Property Litigation Group. She has more than a dozen years of experience representing leading technology and life sciences companies in high stakes patent infringement, trade secret, and breach of contract litigation in federal courts across the country. She has also represented clients in connection with inter partes review proceedings before the United States Patent and Trademark Office Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
Regarded by clients as a practical, business-minded litigator, Meg has been recognized as a Massachusetts Super Lawyer (2016-2017) and a Rising Star (2011-2015).
Complex Intellectual Property Disputes: Represents major life sciences companies, medical device companies, and clients in the high tech industry in patent, trade secret, licensing, and other intellectual property disputes.
- Shire LLC v. Abhai LLC, D Mass: represented Shire in its Hatch-Waxman litigation related to ADDERALL XR®.
- Maquet Cardiovascular LLC v. Saphena Medical, Inc., ND Cal: represented Saphena in its defense against Maquet’s claims of patent infringement, breach of contract and Lanham Act violations related to Saphena’s medical device for endoscopic vessel harvesting, and Saphena’s antitrust, unfair business practices, and tortious interference counterclaims.
- Foundation Medicine, Inc. v. Guardant Health, Inc., D Del & ED Tex: counsel to Foundation Medicine in patent infringement action related to genomic cancer testing using next generation sequencing.
- Children’s Medical Center Corporation v. Celgene Corporation, D Mass: counsel to Celgene in breach of contract litigation regarding exclusive license agreement related to Revlimid® and Pomalyst® (treatments for cancer).
- Green Cross Corporation v. Shire Human Genetic Therapies, PTAB: represented Shire in IPR proceeding directed to Shire’s patented method for purifying I2S protein produced recombinantly for enzyme replacement therapy.
- Clean Energy Management Solutions LLC v. FrontPoint Security Solutions LLC, ED Tex: counsel to FrontPoint in patent infringement action related to home automation systems including integrated door locks and garage door openers.
- Entry Systems, LLC v. FrontPoint Security Solutions, LLC, ED Tex: counsel to FrontPoint in patent infringement action related to home automation systems including integrated door locks.
- Limelight Networks, Inc. v. Akamai Technologies, Inc., ED Va: counsel to Akamai in patent infringement action related to content delivery methods.
- Loramax LLC v. John Hancock Funds, LLC, ED Tex: counsel to John Hancock in patent infringement litigation involving technology that enables user contact preference selection.
- DataMotion Texas LLC v. John Hancock Financial Corporation et al., ED Tex: counsel to John Hancock in patent infringement litigation involving data privacy and security applications.
- Script Security Solutions, LLC v. FrontPoint Security Solutions, LLC, ED Tex: counsel to FrontPoint in patent infringement litigation regarding portable motion detection systems.
- Rothschild Connected Devices Innovations v. CPI Security, Inc., ED Tex: counsel to CPI in patent infringement litigation involving systems and methods for creating personalized consumer products.
- Phoenix Licensing v. Fidelity Investments, Inc., ED Tex: counsel to FMR in patent infringement litigation involving direct mail marketing platform.
- Versata Software Inc. v. NetBrain Technologies Inc., D Del: counsel to NetBrain in patent infringement litigation related to network mapping software.
- New England BioLabs, Inc., v. Enzymatics, Inc., D Mass: counsel to New England BioLabs in patent infringement action involving nucleic acid ligand inhibitors to DNA polymerases.
- Afluo LLC v. Adobe Systems, Inc., D Del: counsel to Akamai in patent infringement litigation and related inter partes review regarding flash media server.
- Pi-Net International, Inc. v. Payless, Dollar Thrifty, Avis, and Hertz, CD Cal: counsel to multiple defendant car rental companies in patent infringement litigation involving e-commerce technology platforms.
- Stat Medical Devices Inc. v. Facet Medical Technologies, D Del: counsel to Facet in patent infringement litigation regarding reusable lancets designed for testing blood glucose levels.
Publications and Presentations
- "Winning Strategies for Patent Jury Trials," Moderator, Boston Bar Association, May 2018.
- “Tackling Bad Faith Assertions of Patent Infringement in the Commonwealth,” moderator, Boston Bar Association.
- “The Unwritten Rules: Novel and Creative Strategies and Tactics in Patent Litigation,” panelist, PLI Advanced Patent Litigation Program, November 2017.
- “Pretrial Litigation,” MCLE New England, Boston, November, 2017.
- “Post-Grant Amendments at the USPTO,” speaker, Boston Patent Law Association, June 2017.
- "Apotex Sets Stage For Next Fed. Circ. BPCIA Dispute,” author, IP Law360, October 2015.
- “How Bowman V. Monsanto May Wreak Havoc On Biotechnology,” co-author, Life Sciences Law360, April 2013.
- “Strategies for Fighting Global Trade Secret Theft,” co-author, IP Law360, September 2012.
- “Avoiding Trade Secret Litigation in the Life Sciences,” co-author, IP Law360, August 2012.
- “Preempting Patent Litigation With 3rd-Party Submissions,” co-author, IP Law360, February 2012.
- “In the Wake of Bilski,” co-author, Law360, June 2009.
Professional and Community Involvement
Ms. Ives is a member of the Boston Bar Association, the Boston Patent Law Association, and the Boston IP Inn of Court, and is Co-Chair of the BBA IP Litigation Committee. She is also on the Board of Directors of Pernet Family Health Services in Worcester, Massachusetts.
Education & Credentials
- The Catholic University of America - Columbus School of Law
- JD, 2004, magna cum laude
- Connecticut College
- BA, 1999
District of Columbia
U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
U.S. District Court, Massachusetts
U.S. Supreme Court
Foundation Medicine, Inc. and Guardant Health, Inc. announced an agreement to settle a patent infringement lawsuit brought by Foundation Medicine against Guardant concerning U.S. Patent No. 9,340,830.
Choate successfully defends Shire Human Genetic Therapies, Inc. in an appeal in the Federal Circuit of a favorable inter partes review decision from the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
Choate recently represented Wells Fargo Bank, National Association as Administrative Agent and the Senior Secured Lender in connection with a Senior Secured Revolving Credit Facility as part of a debtor-in-possession financing to The Walking Company and its various affiliates.
Margaret Ives, partner in the firm’s Intellectual Property Group, will be a panelist at the 2017 PLI Advanced Patent Litigation Program.