Matt Barrett is a member of Choate's Intellectual Property Litigation and Complex Commercial Litigation Practice Groups, both of which have been top-ranked by Chambers USA. His practice includes patent litigation, Lanham Act litigation, trade secrets litigation and contract disputes. Mr. Barrett has co-authored articles on the challenges associated with e-discovery in trade secrets litigation and on the litigation risks of nanotechnology. He also has written and argued several successful motions, has participated in a range of hearings in state and federal court and has extensive experience with complex electronic discovery.
Mr. Barrett has been named a Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Star.
Complex Intellectual Property Disputes: complex patent infringement and misappropriation of trade secrets cases within the technology, life sciences and software industries.
Complex Commercial Litigation: assists in representation of leading corporations and financial institutions in complex commercial litigation, including patent infringement claims and securities investigations.
- Currently representing multiple software clients to protect their intellectual property through trade secrets litigation in district courts across the country.
- Assisted in representation of client in multiple district court infringement and licensing actions to enforce patent to conformable medical gloves, helping client to recover millions of dollars in actual and liquidated damages.
- Played key role in series of patent and trademark suits designed to protect intellectual property of major health sciences company.
- Successfully argued for dismissal of breach of contract case.
- Researched and wrote successful opposition to motion to dismiss patent infringement suit that allowed client to continue to pursue its claims and reach advantageous settlement agreement.
- Helped revise electronic document review procedures for case team in complex litigation matter, enabling team to efficiently review millions of pages of documents.
Publications and Presentations
- “Invalidating Patents on the Pleadings Post-Bilski,” co-author, IP Law360, June 2014.
- “Defending Trade Secrets in the e-Discovery Era,” co-author, IP Law360, November 2011.
- “Nanotechnology: Understanding and Managing the New Frontier,” co-author, Andrews Litigation Reporter: Toxic Torts, April 2009.
Education & Credentials
- Emory University School of Law
- JD, 2008, with honors
- Notes & Comments Editor, Emory International Law Review
- Stanford University
- BA, 2003
U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
U.S. District Court, Massachusetts
Foundation Medicine, Inc. and Guardant Health, Inc. announced an agreement to settle a patent infringement lawsuit brought by Foundation Medicine against Guardant concerning U.S. Patent No. 9,340,830.
Alnylam has entered into a settlement agreement with Dicerna Pharmaceuticals resolving trade secret misappropriation claims against Dicerna, and counterclaims asserted by Dicerna, in pending litigation in the Superior Court of Middlesex County, Massachusetts.