Clients trust Matt Maguire to execute their most challenging corporate transactions, remarking that his familiarity with the complexities and cadence of major deals adds meaningful value to the process.
Over the years, Matt has executed on investments, acquisitions and divestitures, on behalf of sophisticated global investment funds, including Bain Capital, Apollo, KKR, Summit Partners, as well as multi-national corporations like Philips technology companies, Kimberly Clark Corporation, and the Discovery Channel.* His current emphasis is on transactions occurring in private equity’s middle market, including on behalf of Summit Partners, Century Equity Partners, DW Healthcare Partners, and several others.
In addition to private equity buyout deals, Matt has appreciable experience with growth equity transactions, including serving as lead associate on the Choate team for the lead investor (a London-based hedge fund) in the Series C financing of a cryptocurrency company with a $10 billion valuation (based on that round). The closing of that transaction he led alongside a Choate partner was covered by CNBC television, among other national media outlets. He has also represented international companies like IKEA and Johnson & Johnson in connection with their venture capital investments.
Unique among corporate lawyers, Matt previously worked as a litigator before he entered private practice in 2013. Most notably, he served as a Special Assistant U.S. Attorney with the Justice Department in Washington, DC, representing federal agencies like the DOJ, FBI, DHS, and the U.S. Navy in federal district court cases. As first-chair, counsel of record to the United States, he has successfully presented arguments to some of the nations’ most high-profile federal judges.
*Experiences cited throughout this biography include representations that Matt undertook while practicing with other law firms before Choate.
Growth Equity Investments and Divestitures
- Tetragon Financial Group, as lead investor in a Series C round for Ripple, Inc., a cryptocurrency company with a $10 billion enterprise valuation based on the Series C purchase price.
- Century Equity Partners in four separate transactions involving the sale or divesture of substantial minority equity stakes.
- Represented a technology company in a Series C round at a $225 million valuation, managing several complex components of the transaction.
- B. Riley in connection with a growth equity investment in a natural gas company.
Buyout Deals and Mergers
- Summit Partners in connection with, among other transactions, (i) a recent acquisition of a healthcare-related company, (ii) the sale of HelpSystems to H.I.G. Capital and (iii) the sale of Solid State Equipment to Veeco Instruments.
- DW Healthcare Partners in connection with multiple transactions and matters, including its acquisition of SoClean, a nationally advertised household product.
- Century Equity Partners in connection with the acquisition of DOXA Insurance Holdings, LLC, a private holdings company of specialty insurance underwriting companies nationwide.
- The Manischewitz Company, a Bain Capital portfolio company and global leader in the kosher food business, in connection with its sale to a third-party purchaser.
- Connance Inc. and Dispatch, Inc., respectively, in their August 2018 merger acquisitions by two national private equity firms.
- Bain Capital Credit and a regional broadcasting network in their acquisition of television broadcasting stations from Nexstar Broadcasting Group.
- QIAGEN N.V. in the $260M acquisition of the digital assets of Formulatrix, Inc.
- Philips Lighting in connection with several asset acquisition transactions in support of its technology platforms.
- Kimberly-Clark Corporation in selling its drug delivery division to Sorrento Therapeutics for a total of $310M (including contingent consideration).
Venture Capital Transactions
- Johnson and Johnson Company in connection with its venture investment in a technology company.
- IKEA’s investment arm in connection with an investment in an environmentally green energy source.
- Represented Selphagy Therapeutics in connection with a Series A financing by Life Bioscience.
Miscellaneous Transaction Experience
- The attempted acquisition of the Revel Casino in Atlantic City, New Jersey (built for $2.4 billion and then NJ’s largest building) out of the bankruptcy process by a New York real estate mogul.
- Garrison Investment Group in the equity recapitalization (and debt restructuring) of Speed Commerce, an online shipping fulfillment corporation.
- Bain Capital Credit in connection with their acquisition of multiple television broadcasting stations.
- Co-investment transactions on behalf of H.I.G / Whitehorse, Medley Capital, Partners Group, Golub Capital, Northwestern Mutual, et al.
* Experiences cited throughout this biography include representations that Matt undertook with other law firms before Choate.
Education & Credentials
Boston College Law School
Catholic University of America
BA, magna cum laude
District of Columbia