Michael Sophocles is senior counsel in the firm's Real Estate Department. He is listed in Chambers USA, Best Lawyers in America and Massachusetts Super Lawyers.
Real Estate: representation of national and regional real estate developers active in the acquisition, development, financing, leasing and disposition of commercial, multi-family residential and industrial properties.
- Counsel to numerous real estate development enterprises, including developers of office properties, retail shopping centers, hotels, industrial parks, multi-unit residential complexes, golf course facilities and athletic clubs.
- Served as outside real estate counsel to various state transportation entities with special emphasis on air-rights development, long-term ground leasing and varied wireless communications and fiber-optic lease agreements.
- Special real estate counsel to Massachusetts Housing Finance Agency in connection with significant loans and real estate transactions.
- Involved in development, financing and leasing of tens of millions of square feet of office, retail, industrial and multi family residential property, as well as such diverse representations as new Boston Garden construction, development of the headquarters for the Boston Stock Exchange, acquisition of the International Country Club and development of numerous urban and suburban retail shopping centers. Most recently represented client in redevelopment of million plus square foot urban site into high rise office, hotel, multi-family residential and cancer care facility.
- Represented such varied local and regional entities as Bain Capital, Hanover Insurance Group, Fidelity Corporate Real Estate, Harvard University in acquisition, disposition or development of significant real estate assets.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. Sophocles is a past member of the firm’s Executive Committee. He has served as Vice Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Hellenic College/Holy Cross School of Theology and has served as a member of the University of Pennsylvania Board of Associate Alumni Trustees and the Executive Committee of the Boston University School of Law Alumni Association. Mr. Sophocles is a member of the bars of Massachusetts and Pennsylvania.
Education & Credentials
- Boston University School of Law
- JD, 1976
- University of Pennsylvania
- BA, 1967