Dr. Sahr develops strategies for life science companies to maximize exclusivity for medicines and diagnostics, in particular biologics. Dr. Sahr concentrates his practice on building worldwide patent portfolios appropriately aligned with product life cycle. Dr. Sahr brings a sophisticated understanding of the interplay between patent and regulatory law to his practice. Having worked in research and discovery for a multinational pharmaceutical company, Dr. Sahr knows the process, science, and business of bringing regulated products to market.
Intellectual Property Protection: strategic patent portfolio development, regulatory exclusivities, biosimilars, patent term extensions and Orange Book listings, patentability assessment, freedom to operate, non-infringement and invalidity opinions.
Complex Intellectual Property Disputes: pre-litigation diligence, patent litigation strategy, PTAB proceedings (interference and inter partes review).
- Develop and prosecute patent portfolios for therapeutic products including antibodies, vaccines, nucleic acid molecules, polypeptides, stem cells, medical devices, imaging agents, and small molecules for new disease indications.
- Compliance with Bayh-Dole requirements for federally funded inventions.
- Navigate eligible subject matter for patenting of diagnostic methods and products.
- Landscape analysis and strategy for biotechnology companies pursuing biosimilar/interchangeable biologic products.
- Clearance of potentially blocking third party IP via protests, third party pre-issuance submissions, and oppositions.
- Non-infringement and invalidity opinions for multinational pharmaceutical companies seeking to launch products (human and animal vaccines, pain therapeutics).
- Inventorship assessment and opinion for dispute resolution.
- Patent interferences through priority phase regarding nucleic acid molecules, polypeptides and antibodies.
Publications and Presentations
- “A Patent Primer for Academic Scientists—What, Why and How?” speaker, BAWA Biotechnology Consulting, LLC's Current Issues in Medicine, Biotech and Pharma, August 2015.
- "Inside FDA Regulation of Antibody Drug Conjugates," co-author, Intellectual Property Law360, July 2015.
- “Patent Primer for Academic Scientists” speaker, Current Issues in Medicine and Pharma 13th Annual International Conference, Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, August 2015.
- “Have Prometheus & Myriad Changed the World?” speaker, presentation to Blavatnik Fellows in Life Science Entrepreneurship at Harvard Business School, Boston, October 2013.
- “The Biologics Price Competition and Innovation Act: Innovation Must Come Before Price Competition,” author, Boston College Intellectual Property & Technology Forum, July 2009.
Professional and Community Involvement
Dr. Sahr served two terms on Law360’s Life Sciences editorial advisory board, providing feedback and guidance to the publication regarding its coverage of the industry. He served as a Massbio MassCONNECT mentor for a start-up biotechnology company. He is also a member of the American Intellectual Property Law Association, the Boston Patent Law Association, the Boston Bar Association, the American Bar Association, and the PTAB Bar Association.
Education & Credentials
- Indiana University School of Law
- JD, 2009, summa cum laude
- Indiana Law Review
- Indiana University School of Medicine
- PhD, 2004, Medical Neurobiology
- State University of New York at Albany
- BA, 1993
U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
U.S. District Courts, Northern District of Indiana & Southern District of Indiana