Sara Bauer provides clients strategic, business-minded counsel across many industries on trademark and copyright matters including clearance, prosecution, licensing, and enforcement.
Sara represents clients on trademark and copyright portfolios, enforcement matters, licensing, UDRP actions, social media issues, website issues such as terms and conditions, and DMCA issues, as well as trademark and copyright litigation matters before federal district courts. She also argues trademark matters before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and defends clients against claims of infringement.
Sara also represents private equity sponsors and their portfolio companies and major bank lenders who are in a due diligence process looking to acquire an asset or company, or invest in a company, to help them assess the quality of the intellectual property and, critically, the business value therein. Components of these services often include assessment of trademark and copyright quality, and validity considerations.
Sara’s clients have included The Linux Foundation, Indigo Ag, Inc., BeiGene, Belmont Medical Technologies, Cape Cod Healthcare, Perkins School for the Blind, Sherlock Biosciences, Versa, and Wave Life Sciences.
- Advises a publicly traded consumer products company on intellectual property portfolio strategy, including domestic and international trademark strategy, enforcement, and portfolio management.
- Prepared and prosecuted trademark applications for a variety of biotechnology, medical device, and pharmaceutical clients in the areas of diagnostic and therapeutic products, including agricultural biotechnology, microbiome therapies, and imaging technology.
- Represents start up and small-cap companies with development of global branding strategies.
Publications and Presentations
- “Graffiti Artists Seek IP Credentials: Four Recent Cases,” author, Law360, January 2015.
- “Supreme Court Issues Decision in Lanham Act False Advertising Case,” author, Fish & Richardson Litigation Blog.
- “Yoga Exercise or Dance,” author, Intellectual Property Magazine.
- “Fear the Crowd – Pitfalls of Crowdsourcing for Innovators,” author, Intellectual Property Magazine.
- “Old Treaty, New Outlook: The Madrid Protocol Empowers Developing Countries,” author, The Holy Cross Journal of Law & Public Policy.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Board member for the Holy Cross Varsity Club
- Member of the International Trademark Association
- Member of the Boston Bar Association
- Provides pro bono services to the Center for Women and Enterprise (Boston, MA) and a non-profit organization engaging students in STEM education
Education & Credentials
- Suffolk University Law School
- JD, 2011, cum laude
- Managing Editor Transnational Law Review
- College of the Holy Cross
- BA, 2008