Sara Bauer is a member of the Firm’s Intellectual Property Group. She counsels clients across many industries on trademark and copyright matters including strategic advice, prosecution, licensing and enforcement. She has also represented clients in Internet law matters including Uniform Domain Name Dispute actions and social media takedown actions as well as trademark and copyright litigation matters before federal district courts and trademark matters before Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and defends clients against claims of infringement.
Sara also provides support to the Firm’s Finance & Restructuring and Private Equity/M&A groups with intellectual property due diligence prior and during their complex transactions.
Intellectual Property Protection: comprehensive trademark and copyright strategic advice, prosecution, licensing and enforcement for clients across many industries to both prevent and solve problems involving all aspects of domestic and international trademark law.
Intellectual Property Diligence: represents private equity sponsors and their portfolio companies and major bank lenders who are in a due diligence process looking to acquire an asset or company, or invest in a company in assessing the quality of the intellectual property and, critically, the business value therein. Components of these services often include assessment of trademark and copyright quality, and validity considerations.
Intellectual Property Transactions: represents clients across many industries in structuring and negotiating strategic trademark and copyright transactions including licenses, assignments, settlement agreements, consent and release agreements, website terms and conditions, and trademark use guidelines.
Complex Intellectual Property Disputes: internet law matters including Uniform Domain Name Dispute actions and social media takedown actions. Represents clients in matters before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and defends clients against claims of trademark and copyright infringement. Advises litigation teams on all aspects of trademark and copyright matters.
- Advises a publicly traded consumer products company on intellectual property portfolio strategy, including domestic and international trademark strategy, enforcement and portfolio management.
- Prepared and prosecuted trademark applications for a variety of biotechnology, medical device and pharmaceutical clients in the areas of diagnostic and therapeutic products, including agricultural biotechnology, microbiome therapies, and imaging technology.
- Represents start up and small-cap companies with development of global branding strategies.
Publications and Presentations
- “Graffiti Artists Seek IP Credentials: Four Recent Cases,” author, Law360, January 2015.
- “Supreme Court Issues Decision in Lanham Act False Advertising Case,” author, Fish & Richardson Litigation Blog, March 2014.
- “Yoga Exercise or Dance,” author, Intellectual Property Magazine, March 2013.
- “Fear the Crowd – Pitfalls of Crowdsourcing for Innovators,” author, Intellectual Property Magazine, November 2012.
- “Old Treaty, New Outlook: The Madrid Protocol Empowers Developing Countries,” author, The Holy Cross Journal of Law & Public Policy, 2011.
Professional and Community Involvement
As a former division 1 college athlete, Sara still maintains an active commitment to sports, including serving as a board member for the Holy Cross Varsity Club. She is also a member of the International Trademark Association and the Boston Bar Association.
Sara is also active in providing pro bono services to the Center for Women and Enterprise (Boston, MA) and a non-profit organization engaging students in STEM education.
Education & Credentials
- Suffolk University Law School
- JD, 2011, cum laude
- Managing Editor Transnational Law Review
- College of the Holy Cross
- BA, 2008