Timothy Becker has a broad transactional tax practice, with a focus on advising leading private equity funds, venture capital funds and hedge funds, as well as their portfolio companies, in a wide range of activities including M&A.
Mr. Becker is listed in Chambers USA.
Transactional: tax advice relating to domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations, restructurings, spin-offs and split-offs, as well as private equity, venture capital and hedge fund investments, financing transactions and other general corporate and partnership matters, including U.S. tax issues arising from inbound and outbound investments by funds.
Fund Formation: structuring of private equity, venture capital and hedge funds and other investment vehicles, including drafting, review and negotiation of fund entity operating agreements, offering memoranda and side letters and advice relating to management company and general partner matters.
- Represented BV Investment Partners in its acquisitions of CF Stinson and Plasco ID.
- Advised Windjammer Capital Investors in its acquisition of Heritage Food Service Group.
- Advised Silversmith Capital Partners regarding investments in Centauri Health Solutions, Impact Radius and Digital Map Products.
- Advised Kapa Biosystems in its sale to Roche.
- Advised Cosman Medical in its sale to Boston Scientific.
- Represented Mainsail Partners, QVT Financial, Monarch Alternative Capital, Monroe Capital and hundreds of other fund managers in fund formations and related matters.
- Advised Hub Pen Company in its acquisition by Tenex Capital Management.
- Advised Curaspan Health Group in its acquisition by Cardinal Health.
Publications and Presentations
“Tax Treatment of Mutual Fund Income from Discharge of Indebtedness Arising From an Investment in an Operating Partnership,” co-author, The Journal of Taxation and Regulation of Financial Institutions, 2011.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. Becker is a member of the Board of Advisors of The Journal of Taxation and Regulation of Financial Institutions.
Education & Credentials
- New York University School of Law
- LLM, 2008
- University of Southern California
- JD, 2002, MBT
- Loyola University of Maryland
- BA, 1998, cum laude
Choate recently advised The Beekman Group in its investment in Riccobene Associates Family Dentistry, a provider of comprehensive general and multi-specialty dental services with modern, well-appointed dental offices.
Choate represented Summit Partners and its portfolio company, Club Champion, in its sale to Levine Leichtman Capital Partners.
Choate represented M/C Partners in its investment in Carbon60 Networks Inc., a Canadian technology company specializing in delivering end-to-end managed hosting solutions for public and private sector organizations with business-critical workloads.
Choate represented InfoArmor, a leader in the identity protection and advanced threat intelligence industries and a portfolio company of Summit Partners, in its acquisition by The Allstate Corporation (NYSE: ALL).
Choate represented BV Investment Partners in its $50 million investment in Consero Global, a Finance as a Service company that provides tech-enabled finance and accounting services to growing and mid-market companies.