Timothy Becker has a broad transactional tax practice, with a focus on advising leading private equity funds, venture capital funds and hedge funds, as well as their portfolio companies, in a wide range of activities including M&A.
Mr. Becker is listed in Chambers USA.
Transactional: tax advice relating to domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations, restructurings, spin-offs and split-offs, as well as private equity, venture capital and hedge fund investments, financing transactions and other general corporate and partnership matters, including US tax issues arising from inbound and outbound investments by funds.
Fund Formation: structuring of private equity, venture capital and hedge funds and other investment vehicles, including drafting, review and negotiation of fund entity operating agreements, offering memoranda and side letters and advice relating to management company and general partner matters.
- Represented BV Investment Partners in its acquisitions of CF Stinson and Plasco ID.
- Advised Windjammer Capital Investors in its acquisition of Heritage Food Service Group.
- Advised Silversmith Capital Partners regarding investments in Centauri Health Solutions, Impact Radius and Digital Map Products.
- Advised Kapa Biosystems in its sale to Roche.
- Advised Cosman Medical in its sale to Boston Scientific.
- Represented Mainsail Partners, QVT Financial, Monarch Alternative Capital, Monroe Capital and hundreds of other fund managers in fund formations and related matters.
- Advised Hub Pen Company in its acquisition by Tenex Capital Management.
- Advised Curaspan Health Group in its acquisition by Cardinal Health.
Publications and Presentations
“Tax Treatment of Mutual Fund Income from Discharge of Indebtedness Arising From an Investment in an Operating Partnership,” co-author, The Journal of Taxation and Regulation of Financial Institutions, 2011.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. Becker is a member of the Board of Advisors of The Journal of Taxation and Regulation of Financial Institutions.
Education & Credentials
- New York University School of Law
- LLM, 2008
- University of Southern California
- JD, 2002, MBT
- Loyola University of Maryland
- BA, 1998, cum laude
Choate recently advised M/C Partners and its portfolio company, Everstream Solutions LLC, in its definitive agreement to sell Everstream to AMP Capital.
Choate recently advised TrueBridge Capital Partners on the formation of its fifth venture capital fund-of-funds. Closing at $450 million, “Truebridge Capital Partners Fund V, L.P.”, exceeded its original target by $75 million. With this latest fund TrueBridge now manages over $2.2 billion in assets.
Choate recently advised New Heritage Capital in its acquisition of a minority stake in Flying Colours Corp., an Ontario-based provider of private jet refurbishment, completion, and MRO services.
Calero Software, LLC, a portfolio company of Riverside Partners, has closed two add-on acquisitions since being backed by Riverside Partners four months ago.
Choate recently represented Winco in its merger with G.E.T. Enterprises, a Houston-based portfolio company of Olympus Partners.