Timothy Becker has a broad transactional tax practice, with a focus on advising leading private equity funds, venture capital funds and hedge funds, as well as their portfolio companies, in a wide range of activities including M&A.
Mr. Becker is listed in Chambers USA.
Transactional: tax advice relating to domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations, restructurings, spin-offs and split-offs, as well as private equity, venture capital and hedge fund investments, financing transactions and other general corporate and partnership matters, including U.S. tax issues arising from inbound and outbound investments by funds.
Fund Formation: structuring of private equity, venture capital and hedge funds and other investment vehicles, including drafting, review and negotiation of fund entity operating agreements, offering memoranda and side letters and advice relating to management company and general partner matters.
- Represented BV Investment Partners in its acquisitions of CF Stinson and Plasco ID.
- Advised Windjammer Capital Investors in its acquisition of Heritage Food Service Group.
- Advised Silversmith Capital Partners regarding investments in Centauri Health Solutions, Impact Radius and Digital Map Products.
- Advised Kapa Biosystems in its sale to Roche.
- Advised Cosman Medical in its sale to Boston Scientific.
- Represented Mainsail Partners, QVT Financial, Monarch Alternative Capital, Monroe Capital and hundreds of other fund managers in fund formations and related matters.
- Advised Hub Pen Company in its acquisition by Tenex Capital Management.
- Advised Curaspan Health Group in its acquisition by Cardinal Health.
Publications and Presentations
“Tax Treatment of Mutual Fund Income from Discharge of Indebtedness Arising From an Investment in an Operating Partnership,” co-author, The Journal of Taxation and Regulation of Financial Institutions, 2011.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. Becker is a member of the Board of Advisors of The Journal of Taxation and Regulation of Financial Institutions.
Education & Credentials
- New York University School of Law
- LLM, 2008
- University of Southern California
- JD and MBT, 2002
- Loyola University of Maryland
- BA, 1998, cum laude
Choate recently advised The Beekman Group in its investment in Riccobene Associates Family Dentistry, a provider of comprehensive general and multi-specialty dental services with modern, well-appointed dental offices.
In the face of deteriorating financial conditions for a business, directors should revisit the fiduciary duties they owe to the business and be particularly attuned to the question of which parties are the proper beneficiaries of those duties.
The Small Business Administration (SBA) continued its incremental rollout of guidance for borrowers under the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP), with two interim final rules issued on the eve of Memorial Day Weekend.
Since late April, the SBA has released multiple pieces of guidance under its Paycheck Protection Program (“PPP”) relating to the requirement that borrowers demonstrate need for PPP funds in order to be eligible for a loan.
On April 30, 2020, the U.S. Federal Reserve published an FAQ and revised term sheets with new details regarding the Main Street Lending Program, including expanded eligibility for program loans and a new loan category.
On April 30, 2020, the Internal Revenue Service issued guidance in Notice 2020-32 providing that no deduction is allowed under the Internal Revenue Code for an expense that is otherwise deductible if the payment of the expense results in forgiveness of a loan under the Payroll Protection Program established by the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act.