Stanford Law School
BA, 1993, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
With fifteen years of experience advising corporate clients on all aspects of employee relations, Alison Reif provides practical and efficient advice to clients on employment issues and specializes in finding workable, real world solutions.
Also a seasoned litigator, Ms. Reif has successfully represented companies in more than fifty lawsuits brought by their employees, involving a wide variety of claims.
Ms. Reif also specializes in advice to international companies, particularly in Canada, who are starting operations in the United States and require assistance in navigating United States employment laws.
Alison Reif is listed in Best Lawyers in America and has repeatedly been named a Massachusetts Super Lawyer.
Employment Counseling: Ms. Reif advises companies on terminations and RIFs, disability and leave issues, wage and hour compliance and audits, harassment investigations, employment and severance agreements, employee handbooks and policies, non-competition and other post-employment restrictions, independent contractor arrangements, employee classifications and virtually all other issues facing modern employers.
Employment Litigation: Ms. Reif handles employment litigation, arbitration and administrative cases regarding discrimination, harassment, whistleblowing, non-competition and other post-employment restrictions, ERISA benefits and contract- and tort-based employment claims.
- Successfully represented large national company in Department of Labor audit regarding employee classifications, resulting in full dismissal of charges.
- Guided companies through complete audit of their employee practices and forms to ensure legal compliance and implement best practices.
- Obtained full defense verdict for large Massachusetts employer in jury trial of discrimination and retaliation claims.
- Successfully represented departing executive and new company in litigation over noncompetition agreement.
- Represented large medical products manufacturer in complex federal court litigation involving “whistleblower” claim.
- Obtained full defense verdict in trial before the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination of sexual harassment and retaliation claims.
- Represented major insurance company in arbitration over change-in-control severance benefits.
- Represented major insurance company in federal court litigation over ERISA pension plan benefits.
- Successfully counseled large and small employers through complex situations involving employee disability and leave issues, employment aspects of mergers and acquisitions, violations of non-competition agreements and discrimination and harassment allegations.
Presentations and Publications
- “Navigating Non-Compete Agreements: a Board Primer,” moderator, Stybel Peabody & Associates' Seat at the Table, September 2014.
- “Best Practices for a Reduction in Force: A Basic Checklist,” co-author, Employee Relations Law Journal, July 2010.
- “Massachusetts Legislation Requires Implementation of Electronic Data Protection Policies and Procedures,” panelist, Duff & Phelps Panel Discussion, June 2009.
- “New Guidance Issued on ADA’s Association Provision,” Boston Business Journal, 2005.
- “An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: Preventing Employee Theft and Fraud,” co-author, Massachusetts Bar Association Section Review, 2003.
Professional and Community Involvement
Ms. Reif is a member of the firm’s Hiring Committee. She serves on the Board of Directors for Greater Boston Legal Services. She is also a member of the Labor and Employment Sections of the Massachusetts Bar Association and the Boston Bar Association.