University of Virginia School of Law
University of Virginia
BA, 1983, with honors
Brian Goldstein, co-chair of the firm's Business & Technology Group, and a member of the Firm Committee, has over 25 years of experience in the areas of general business, venture capital, technology and life sciences transactions and M&A.
Mr. Goldstein previously served as Assistant General Counsel at Groundwater Technology, Inc., where he handled SEC reporting; acquisitions, divestitures, and joint ventures; and the sale of a controlling interest of the company to Fluor Daniel.
He is listed in Best Lawyers in America and The Legal 500. Mr. Goldstein is also named a Massachusetts Super Lawyer.
Business & Technology: general counsel to growth-oriented companies in a variety of industries, including digital media, Internet, software, biotech and medical devices, advising on domestic and international strategic partnerships, licensing and distribution agreements and general business counseling. His international practice includes cross-border financings and acquisitions, as well as advice on other US-based activities, for companies headquartered or with significant operations in Israel.
Mergers & Acquisitions: national and cross-border mergers and acquisitions on behalf of public and private companies in a wide range of industries.
Private Equity: recapitalizations and investments in early stage ventures and later stage companies for private equity and venture capital firms.
Venture Capital & Private Equity Matters
- Representation of companies in seed, Series A and follow-on rounds of venture capital financing.
- Representation of Israeli technology companies organized in Delaware in recapitalizations and venture capital investments.
- Representation of syndicate of venture capital, late stage and hedge funds led by Battery Ventures in recapitalization of and investment in ITA Software.
- Representation of Broadview Ventures in investments in cardiovascular disease companies.
- Representation of Atlas Ventures and Wellington Partners in spinout of software product line from existing company based in Germany and investment in the new enterprise.
Mergers & Acquisitions Matters
- Representation of Shire in strategic investment and “Build to Buy” transactions with Nimbus Discovery, Inception 1 and ArmaGen.
- Representation of venture-backed companies in acquisitions of other businesses for stock and cash.
- Representation of digital media company to ComScore.
- Representation of instrumentation company to MKS Instruments.
- Representation of Dotomi, Inc. in $300 million merger with ValueClick.
- Representation of Retail Convergence, Inc. (parent company of Rue La La and SmartBargains e-commerce sites) in $350 million merger with GSI Commerce.
- Representation of Israeli software provider in acquisition by EMC.
- Representation of provider of innovative technology products for military, homeland security and commercial markets in acquisition by Fortune 200 company, including spinout of medical device business excluded from transaction.
- Representation of Groundwater Technology, Inc., as Assistant General Counsel in acquisitions, divestitures and sale of controlling interest of company to Fluor Daniel with proceeds over $350 million.
Licensing & Strategic Partnerships Matters
- Representation of Israeli-based company in license transaction with Fortune 500 media and cable company.
- Representation of tissue engineering company in R&D collaboration agreement with Fortune 50 consumer products company.
- Representation of molecular therapeutics company in “Build to Buy” transaction with Abbvie.
Publications and Presentations
- On-going presenter at UMass Lowell Innovation Hub Education Series for Technology Start-ups.
- “Driving Innovation & Success,” panelist, Massachusetts Advanced Manufacturing Summit, September 2016.
- "Option Deals for Biotech: Ensuring They are Enforceable," author, Mergers & Acquisitions Law360, December 2014.
- "Women’s Enterprise Initiative Business Forum," panelist, Women’s Enterprise Initiative, September 2014.
- “Crisis Management and Tough Judgment Calls in Representing Emerging Growth Companies,” speaker, Practising Law Institute’s Venture Capital 2014: Nuts and Bolts Program, New York, February 2014, April 2015.
- “Funding Gap for Life Science Companies Is Still a Problem,” co-author, Life Sciences Law360, September 2013.
- “Raising Capital for Start-up Businesses,” panelist, Harvard Business School Association of Boston, February 2013.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. Goldstein is a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. He is also a member of the American Bar Association, Boston Bar Association and Association for Corporate Growth.