University of Virginia School of Law
University of Notre Dame
BA, 1997, magna cum laude
J.P. Jaillet is a partner in the firm’s Insurance & Reinsurance Group. He has repeatedly been named a Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Star. Mr. Jaillet represents insurers, reinsurers, private equity firms and other companies in complex business and coverage disputes. He has represented clients in courts and arbitration proceedings throughout the United States. In the past three years, Mr. Jaillet has served as trial counsel in six successful trials.
From 2001 to 2002, Mr. Jaillet served as an Assistant District Attorney for Suffolk County.
Insurance & Reinsurance Litigation: litigation and arbitration on behalf of insurance and reinsurance companies involving disputes regarding coverage for a variety of claims.
Complex Commercial & Financial Litigation: complex business-to-business litigation, professional liability litigation, civil fraud, significant contractual disputes, litigation avoidance strategies and general commercial advice and litigation.
- Advised reinsurers concerning large property claims, including aggregated ice dam losses.
- Advised life insurers and reinsurers concerning variable annuity disputes.
- Trial counsel for leading reinsurer in $75 million arbitration concerning treaty underwriting issues.
- Counsel for cedent confirming $100 million recovery in catastrophe bond dispute.
- Trial counsel for insurer in arbitration concerning protocol for reinsurer’s claim handling procedures.
- Trial counsel for various cedents obtaining multi-million dollar recoveries from reinsurers.
- Trial counsel for private equity firm in successful arbitration involving breach of contract and employment claims.
- Obtained summary judgment for private equity firm in lawsuit alleging investment fraud and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Trial counsel obtaining $5.75 million jury verdict for public company related to interference with a corporate sale.
Publications and Presentations
- "Reinsurance Primer," speaker, Boston Bar Association, April 2016.
- "Deflategate, Reinsurance and Arbitrator Bias," author, Employment Law360, August 2015.
- "Ex Parte Communication in Reinsurance Arbitrations: Impact of Recent Cases," speaker, ARIAS Arbitrator Workshop, November 2014.
- “The Ins and Outs of Cyber-insurance,” speaker, Boston Bar Association seminar, March 2014
- “Potential Emerging Risk of Concussion Claims to Insurers,” author, Insurance Law360, December 2012.
- “Cyber Risk,” speaker, 2012 Gen Re Claims Seminar, Stamford, CT, June 2012.
- "Insurance Coverage for Cyber-Risky Business," author, Insurance Law360, February 2012.