New York University School of Law
US District Court, Massachusetts
Honorable Ronald R. Lagueux, US District Court, District of Rhode Island
Bill McMahon has extensive experience representing financial institutions, insurance companies and other corporate clients in complex restructuring and insolvency engagements, both in and out of court.
Mr. McMahon served as a Special Assistant District Attorney for the Suffolk County District Attorney’s office as part of the firm’s Volunteer Prosecutor Program. As a Special Assistant District Attorney, he prosecuted a range of misdemeanors and felonies and tried numerous cases to verdict.
Mr. McMahon has been named a Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Star.
Bankruptcy & Restructuring: insolvency matters and proceedings on behalf of creditors’ committees, financial institutions, buyers of distressed assets, liquidating agents and secured and unsecured creditors.
Finance: senior secured, second lien and mezzanine lenders in complex restructurings and workouts; debtor-in-possession financing.
- Represented multinational bank in obtaining full recovery of investment in railcar leasing arm of CIT Group, Inc. in connection with CIT’s bankruptcy, one of the largest Chapter 11 bankruptcies in US history.
- Representation of financial institutions working out troubled investments in and out of court.
- Represented Fortune 500 insurance company in enforcing rights in policyholder bankruptcies throughout the US, including by negotiating policy buy-out agreements.
- Served as US counsel to Canadian nutritional supplement maker with US operations in connection with refinancing of company’s $60 million secured credit facility.
- Represented liquidating officer of international contract manufacturer in pursuing avoidance actions that resulted in multi-million dollar recovery for bankruptcy estate.
- Assisted Fortune 500 insurance companies in resolving coverage obligations in asbestos bankruptcies across US.
- Represented Surge Trading, Inc., f/k/a Castor Pollux Securities, in connection with its purchase of the market making business of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC pursuant to Section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code.
- Represented troubled national dry cleaning chain in out-of-court restructuring that resulted in going concern asset sales that preserved hundreds of jobs throughout the country.
- Assisted major software developer in protecting intellectual property rights in bankruptcy proceedings throughout country.
- Prosecuted and defended hundreds of avoidance actions throughout country.
- Served, at the request of a United States Bankruptcy Judge, as special mediation counsel to a pro se Chapter 7 debtor defending a non-dischargeability complaint, securing a dismissal of case with prejudice.
Publications and Presentations
- "Spotlight on Intercreditor Agreements in Bankruptcy," co-author, Bankruptcy Law360, February 2012.
- "Bankruptcy Jurisdiction – Beyond Section 1334,” co-author, Bankruptcy Law360, June 2011.
- “The Evolution of Credit Bidding,” co-author, Law360, Finance Section, February 2010.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. McMahon is a member of the Boston Bar Association and the American Bankruptcy Institute, and has served on the faculty of the American College of Bankruptcy’s First Circuit Law Student Program.