Louis Marett specializes in the taxation of private equity and venture capital transactions and fund formations.
He is the Chair of Choate's Tax Group and is listed in Best Lawyers in America, The Legal 500 and Chambers USA. Mr. Marett is also named a Massachusetts Super Lawyer.
Mergers & Acquisitions: structuring and negotiation of private and public mergers and acquisitions, and other corporate and partnership financings and restructurings, many of them cross-border.
Fund Formation: structuring of private equity and venture funds and alternate investment vehicles, both domestic and offshore.
- Advised Summit Partners in its acquisition of CareCentrix, Inc.
- Represented Spectrum Equity in its sale of portfolio company Mortgagebot LLC to Canadian public company Davis & Henderson.
- Advised Windjammer Capital Investors in its acquisition of Protective Industries, Inc.
- Advised Riverside Partners in its acquisition of Welocalize, Inc. and follow-on acquisition of Park Translations, LLC.
- Represented Mainsail Partners in its sale of portfolio company eSecuritel Holdings, LLC.
- Represented Essex Woodlands, Riverside Partners, Cardinal Partners and Mainsail Partners in fund formations.
- Hundreds of other corporate and partnership transactions over 40 years of practice.
Publications and Presentations
“Transactional and Operational Challenges and Strategies for International Growth,” panelist, Thriving in a Global Economy, June 2013.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. Marett is a trustee of the St. Vincent de Paul Foundation and a past trustee of the Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation and The Schepens Eye Research Institute.
Education & Credentials
- Harvard Law School
- JD, 1972, cum laude
- Harvard College
- AB, 1968, magna cum laude
U.S. District Court, Massachusetts
U.S. Tax Court
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Choate recently advised The Beekman Group in its investment in Riccobene Associates Family Dentistry, a provider of comprehensive general and multi-specialty dental services with modern, well-appointed dental offices.
Choate represented the underwriters, led by Wells Fargo Securities, BNY Mellon Capital Markets, J.P. Morgan and MUFG, in a $375,000,000 public offering of first mortgage bonds by Avista Corporation.
Choate recently represented Summit Partners as lead investor in its recent equity financing of Fuze.
Choate represented G Treasury SS, LLC, a portfolio company of Mainsail Partners, in its cross-border acquisition of Visual Risk Pty Ltd, an Australian private company.