Louis Marett specializes in the taxation of private equity and venture capital transactions and fund formations.
He is the Chair of the firm’s Tax Group and is listed in Best Lawyers in America, The Legal 500 and Chambers USA. Mr. Marett is also named a Massachusetts Super Lawyer.
Mergers & Acquisitions: structuring and negotiation of private and public mergers and acquisitions, and other corporate and partnership financings and restructurings, many of them cross-border.
Fund Formation: structuring of private equity and venture funds and alternate investment vehicles, both domestic and offshore.
- Advised Summit Partners in its acquisition of CareCentrix, Inc.
- Represented Spectrum Equity in its sale of portfolio company Mortgagebot LLC to Canadian public company Davis & Henderson.
- Advised Windjammer Capital Investors in its acquisition of Protective Industries, Inc.
- Advised Riverside Partners in its acquisition of Welocalize, Inc. and follow-on acquisition of Park Translations, LLC.
- Represented Mainsail Partners in its sale of portfolio company eSecuritel Holdings, LLC.
- Represented Essex Woodlands, Riverside Partners, Cardinal Partners and Mainsail Partners in fund formations.
- Hundreds of other corporate and partnership transactions over 40 years of practice.
Publications and Presentations
“Transactional and Operational Challenges and Strategies for International Growth,” panelist, Thriving in a Global Economy, June 2013.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. Marett is a trustee of the St. Vincent de Paul Foundation and a past trustee of the Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation and The Schepens Eye Research Institute.
Education & Credentials
- Harvard Law School
- JD, 1972, cum laude
- Harvard College
- AB, 1968, magna cum laude
US District Court, Massachusetts
U.S. Tax Court
US Court of Federal Claims
Choate recently advised Mainsail Partners in the sale of its portfolio company, nCourt, LLC, to Government Brands, LLC, a portfolio company of Providence Strategic Growth.
Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business recognized 34 Choate lawyers as leading counsel in their respective fields, with six receiving Band 1 rankings.