Brian Lenihan is co-chair of the firm’s Business Department. He has been named to The National Law Journal’s annual list of “Mergers & Acquisitions Trailblazers.” He is listed in Best Lawyers in America for corporate and venture capital law and has been recognized in Chambers USA as a leading lawyer in the area of private equity since 2006. Mr. Lenihan is named in The Legal 500 for Private Equity Buyouts and Venture Capital and Emerging Companies and in Massachusetts Super Lawyers for mergers & acquisitions and corporate law. Mr. Lenihan is a member of the firm's Executive Committee.
Private Equity: representation of private equity funds in a broad range of financing transactions, including leveraged buyouts, majority and minority recapitalizations, and growth equity investments.
Representative Private Equity Clients: Century Equity Partners, M/C Partners, Sectoral Asset Management, Silversmith Capital Partners, Spectrum Equity Investors, Summit Partners, Symmetric Capital.
Business & Technology: corporate transactions for private technology companies, including mergers and acquisitions, venture capital financings and cross-border transactions. Regularly acts as special counsel to Canadian companies and investors in cross-border transactions with US funds or issuers. Particular domain expertise in financial technology and IT solutions for the healthcare and financial services industries.
Representative Technology Clients: BioRx, Complete Innovations, Denovo, Industrial Defender, Kapa Biosystems, Kolide, Meteor Learning, Perspecsys, Semcasting, Teklinks, Threat Stack, Thrive Networks, Tripcraft, Venminder.
Representative Fintech Clients: Braintree Payment Solutions, Digital Risk, Flores & Associates, Global Cash Card, iPay Technologies, Merchant Customer Exchange (MCX), Mortgagebot, Venmo.
- Represented Spectrum Equity in its investments in Definitive Healthcare (healthcare IT), Ethoca Solutions (credit card fraud solutions), Extreme Reach (digital advertising solutions), HealthMEDX (healthcare IT), Lucid Software (charting software), Net Health (healthcare IT), Pictometry (aerial imagery), Tenstreet (driver recruitment software), Verafin (AML compliance).
- Represented Century Equity Partners in its investments in BrightClaim (claim management solutions), Broadstreet Capital Partners (specialty insurance broker), Colonial Claims (flood claim solutions), Conner Strong (specialty insurance broker), Digital Risk (mortgage fraud detection), Forethought Financial (pre-planning insurance), Flores & Associates (health benefits management), Priority Care Solutions (claim management solutions).
- Represented M/C Partners in its investments in Denovo (data hosting), Ensono (IT business of Axciom), Everstream Solutions (fiber optic network), Great Lakes Comlink (ISP and CLEC), PlumChoice (technical support services), Thrive Networks/Corporate IT Solutions (managed services).
- Represented Symmetric Capital in its investments in AirServ (airline services), BioRx (specialty pharmacy), Complete Innovations (fleet tracking software), Mathnasium (math tutoring services), Preventure (wellness solutions), School Improvement Network (online educator content), Teklinks (managed services).
- Represented Silversmith Capital in its investments in Centauri Health Solutions (healthcare IT) and Impact Radius (digital marketing solutions).
- Represented Brightclaim in its sale to Genpact.
- Represented Merchant Customer Exchange in its sale to JP Morgan Chase.
- Represented HealthMEDX in its sale to NetSmart Technologies.
- Represented Kapa Biosystems in its $445 million sale to Roche Diagnostics.
- Represented BioRx in its $350 million sale to Diplomat Pharmacy.
- Represented Industrial Defender in its sale to Lockheed Martin.
- Represented Braintree Payment Solutions/Venmo in its $800 million sale to PayPal.
- Represented Teklinks in its majority recapitalization by Pamlico Capital.
- RepresentediPay Technologies in its $300 million sale to Jack Henry.
- Represented Greencore (Ireland) in its acquisition of various US companies, including On a Roll Sales, Marketfare Foods, H.C Schau, Lettieri’s, and Gretchen’s Shoe Box Express.
- Represented Digital Risk in its $200 million sale to Mphasis (India).
- Represented Complete Innovations (Canada) in its strategic investment from Madison Dearborn.
- Represented Perspecsys (Canada) in its sale to Blue Coat Systems.
- Represented Mortgagebot in its $232 million sale to D + H (Canada).
Presentations and Publications
- "Choate Hall & Stewart, On The Private Equity Middle-Market: Competition, Fee Pressure And China," quoted, Forbes, November 2017
- “Private Equity and Strategic Investors: How Canadian CEOs Choose their Equity Partner,” moderator, Canadian Venture Capital Association Conference, May 2014.
- “Cross-Border Legal and Tax Issues,” panelist, M&A International’s M&A in the Americas Conference, June 2013.
- “Transactional and Operational Challenges and Strategies for International Growth,” panelist, Thriving in a Global Economy, June 2013.
- “Unlocking Value in the Face of Uncertainty,” moderator, MIT Sloan Private Equity Symposium, May 2012.
- “Q&A With Choate’s Brian Lenihan,” featured, Private Equity Law360, November 2011.
- “The SEC Changeup on Private Equity Fund Registration,” co-author, Corporate Finance Law360, August 2011.
- "The Right Investor: VC or Strategic," panel co-moderator, Ontario Venture Summit, Ottawa, October 2010.
- "Building Sustainable Operating Improvements into Portfolio Companies," moderator, Canadian Venture Capital Association Conference, May 2010.
- “Growth Equity,” moderator, MIT Sloan Private Equity Symposium, April 2010.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. Lenihan is a former member of the firm’s Executive Committee and the former co-chair of the firm’s Private Equity group. He is a member of the American, Massachusetts and Boston Bar Associations. Mr. Lenihan serves on the board of Noonan Scholars, an organization that helps high achieving minority students from Boston attend and succeed in the nation’s top colleges. Mr. Lenihan also serves as the co-chair of the Friends of Dartmouth Track & Field and is a member of the Wearers of the Green, Dartmouth’s athletic hall of fame.
Education & Credentials
- Boston College Law School
- JD, 1993, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif
- Executive Editor, Boston College Law Review
- Dartmouth College
- BA, 1989, cum laude
- Honorable Michael Boudin
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit, 1994-1995
Choate recently advised M/C Partners and its portfolio company, Everstream Solutions LLC, in its definitive agreement to sell Everstream to AMP Capital.
Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business recognized 34 Choate lawyers as leading counsel in their respective fields, with six receiving Band 1 rankings.