Bill Lowell is a partner in Choate's Wealth Management Group.
Mr. Lowell is listed in Chambers HNW Guide 2019, Best Lawyers in America and named a Massachusetts Super Lawyer. Mr. Lowell also received the Dean’s Social Impact Award from the College of Professional Studies at Northeastern University.
Mr. Lowell was named by the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts to serve on an Ad Hoc Committee to study and report to the Court on Bosch litigation.
- Serves as trustee of numerous trusts and charitable foundations, and as executor of various estates.
- Together with personnel from Choate's trust department, tax preparation group and Choate Investment Advisors, provides clients with sophisticated income, gift and estate tax planning and investment advice to maximize charitable deductions and minimize taxes.
- Works with Choate Investment Advisors to provide integrated investment, financial planning and estate planning advice to clients regarding their personal assets and retirement accounts, including assuming responsibility for funding their revocable trusts to avoid probate and serving as their trustee.
- Represents public and private company executives to structure and implement plans to benefit both family members and philanthropic interests.
- Represents multiple generations of client families in coordinating tax and wealth management strategies to benefit future generations.
- Represents lottery winners in connection with estate planning and individual planning, including the creation and management of trusts and private charitable foundations.
- Creates limited partnerships and limited liability companies for asset protection and wealth preservation purposes.
- Served as court-appointed administrator of complex intestate estate involving abandoned property accounts in multiple jurisdictions.
Publications and Presentations
- “Fixing Crummey Problems,” co-author, Trusts & Estates, July 2012.
- “Changes Ahead,” co-author, Financial Advisor Magazine, December 2010.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. Lowell is a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel and a member of the Boston Probate Forum, the Tax Section of the American Bar Association and the Trusts and Estates Section of the Boston Bar Association.
Mr. Lowell serves as a Trustee of Northeastern University and WGBH. He also serves as a member of the Corporation of the Museum of Science and Perkins School for the Blind.
Education & Credentials
- Boston College Law School
- JD, 1980, magna cum laude
- Harvard College
- AB, 1977, cum laude
More than 75 percent of the Firm’s equity partners have been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2020.
According to the Guide, Choate is “a very strong firm… [with] a very good trust and estates practice - one of the top… such a powerhouse" and that “[t]heir work, both as counsellors and as technical practitioners, is unfailingly superb."
Choate was ranked as a Band 1 Massachusetts Private Wealth Law practice in the 2018 edition of Chambers High Net Worth (HNW).
Choate announced today that 48 of its attorneys – more than 75 percent of the Firm’s equity partners – have been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2019.
Choate was ranked as a Band 1 Massachusetts Private Wealth Law practice in the 2017 edition of Chambers High Net Worth (HNW).