Bill Gelnaw has served as one of the Firm’s co-managing partners since 1996 and as a member of its Executive Committee since 1994.
Mr. Gelnaw was named "Best Lawyer" for closely held companies and family business law by Best Lawyers 2018. He is annually listed in Best Lawyers in America for business organizations, mergers and acquisitions and corporate law. He has also been named in The Legal 500 for mergers and acquisitions. Mr. Gelnaw is a 2017 Massachusetts Super Lawyer.
Mergers & Acquisitions: mergers and acquisitions on behalf of public and private companies and private equity funds in a wide range of industries including financial services, healthcare, media, communications, timeshare, professional services and consumer products.
Private Equity: representation of funds in acquisitions and investments, and the ongoing representation and sale of portfolio companies.
- Initial public offering for financial services company.
- $150 million sale of business media company.
- $130 million sale of healthcare services company.
- $300 million acquisition of mutual fund complex.
- $1.7 billion sale of financial services company.
- $1.1 billion sale of mutual fund complex.
- Special board committees in three going private transactions.
- $280 million sale of financial services company.
- $75 million sale of water filtration business.
- Large joint venture in consumer products industry.
Publications and Presentations
- “Pre and Post Sale Planning for You, Your Company and Your Family,” panelist, Bank of America Merrill Lynch’s Conference for Business Owners: M&A Solutions for Privately Held Companies, Boston, October 2012.
- “Going Private Deals Involving a Controlling Stockholder,” co-author, Securities Law360, August 2010.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. Gelnaw is active in a number of business, civic and charitable organizations. Bill is a member of the Board of Directors of Associated Industries of Massachusetts, the Boys & Girls Clubs of Boston, the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce, Jobs for Massachusetts, Inc. and the Massachusetts High Technology Council. He is also a member of the Commercial Club of Boston. He is a member of the Massachusetts and Boston Bar Associations.
Education & Credentials
- Boston College Law School
- JD, 1984, magna cum laude
- Boston College
- BS, 1981, summa cum laude