Harvard Law School
JD, 1995, cum laude
University of Massachusetts Amherst
BA, 1992, cum laude, Harry S. Truman Scholar
52 attorneys at the firm – 79 percent of the firm’s equity partners – have been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016. Read more...
“she has a great depth of understanding and experience in the health care industry and is responsive and insightful when resolving problems"
Christine Savage is chair of the Healthcare Group and is recognized by Chambers USA, Best Lawyers in America and Massachusetts Super Lawyers. She was selected by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly as a 2010 “Top Woman of Law” for outstanding leadership, vision, passion and advocacy in the healthcare industry, and she was also chosen as one of 40 emerging business leaders for the Boston Business Journal’s 2007 “40 Under 40” award.
Healthcare: represents community hospitals, academic medical centers, hospices, skilled nursing facility corporations, physician groups and diagnostic testing companies in handling complex compliance and regulatory problems and developing practical business solutions.
- Extensive experience defending hospitals, pharmaceutical companies and individuals against False Claims Act and anti-kickback allegations, including several cases involving qui tam relators.
- Resolved first in nation matter using Stark Self Referral Disclosure Protocol (SRDP) for community hospital.
Private Equity: advises private equity and venture capital firms seeking to develop, invest in or acquire healthcare companies regarding the application of industry and regulatory requirements to their proposed ventures.
Privacy & Data Security: counsel public and private companies and medical institutions on full range of security and privacy issues, including: creating effective privacy policies, including online policies for websites; meeting privacy and security compliance requirements across multiple jurisdictions; ensuring conformity with standards for personal information storage and use; and for reporting of data breaches.
Private Equity/Health Care Finance
- Coordinated all regulatory aspects of acquisition of laboratory services company operating in 40 states.
- $90+ million sale of opioid treatment services business operating in multiple jurisdictions.
Internal/External Investigations Regarding Scientific Misconduct/Human Subjects Research
- Represents academic medical centers and universities in scientific misconduct cases with False Claims Act implications.
- Coordinated significant voluntary disclosure and response to federal investigation of grants management matters at a well-known university.
- Provides compliance and regulatory advice to a growing hospital system IRB.
Health Information Privacy/Data Breaches
- Assisted clients in responding to data losses implicating HIPAA/HITECH and Massachusetts data privacy laws.
- Overhauled privacy policies and practices at pre-eminent non-profit foundation providing clinical and research services in Boston.
- Counsel health technology and service providers on compliance with Stark and anti-kickback laws (e.g., physician investments, physician contracting).
- Advises and trains institutions and employees in areas as diverse as EMTALA, HIPAA, licensure requirements and physician recruitment.
- Provided training to compliance staff at largest healthcare system in Massachusetts regarding how to conduct effective internal investigations.
Publications and Presentations
- “50-State Fraud and Abuse Survey,” Massachusetts chapter co-author, American Health Lawyers Association, June 2014.
- “Providers Need to Face Patient Portal Challenges Head On,” author, Health Law360, May 2014.
- "Ending Physician Speaker Programs May Not Be a Good Thing,” author, White Collar Law360, March 2014.
- “Health IT Market Trends,” interviewed, The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, March 2014.
- “Q&A With Choate’s Christine Savage,” featured, Law360, June 2012.
- "Mistakes, Misconduct or False Claims: Legal Risks and Potential Liability Involving Federally Funded Research,” speaker, Boston Bar Association, Boston, March 2012.
- "Research Compliance," forthcoming Chapter, MCLE College & University Law Manual, Spring 2012.
- “One Year Later: Complying with the Massachusetts Gift Ban Law,” panelist, MassMEDIC, February 2010.
- "Practical Insight into Legal Issues in Higher Education," panelist, MCLE's Presentation of College and University Law, January 2010.
- "Before Firing Bad Patients, Doctors Turn to Lawyers," quoted, Boston Business Journal, March 2008.
- "Money, Medicine and Regulatory Minefields - Navigating Healthcare Services Buyouts," Buyouts Magazine, April 2006.
Professional and Community Involvement
Ms. Savage is a former member of the firm's Executive Committee and leads our Women's Affinity Group. She serves as chair of the Dean’s Advisory Board for the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst and is a co-chair of the college's Fundraising Committee for the UMass Capital Campaign. Ms. Savage has served as a community representative on the Partners Human Subjects Research Committee since 2002. She is a member of the American Health Lawyers Association and the Boston Bar Association.