Columbia Law School
JD, 1974, James Kent Scholar
BA, 1968, cum laude
US Court of Appeals
Federal, First, Ninth Circuits
US Court of Federal Claims
US District Court, Massachusetts
US Supreme Court
Honorable Frank J. Murray, US District Court, District of Massachusetts
Hugh Scott handles complex litigation of all types and is an experienced trial lawyer. He served as head of the firm’s Litigation Department for most of the 1990s.
Mr. Scott has been named a Massachusetts Super Lawyer and recognized in The Legal 500 as a leading lawyer for Insurance. He was also one of only 11 insurance industry attorneys recognized as a “2013 Client Service All Star” by The BTI Consulting Group, an honor that annually identifies – through feedback from more than 240 general counsel – a select group of attorneys who display an outstanding commitment to client service excellence. Mr. Scott was also named the 2014 Boston “Lawyer of the Year” for Insurance Law by Best Lawyers.
Insurance & Reinsurance Litigation: litigation and arbitration on behalf of insurance companies involving disputes regarding coverage for a variety of claims, including hazardous waste sites, asbestos, business disparagement and d & o liability.
Government Enforcement & Compliance: representation of clients in the full range of criminal and civil government enforcement actions, investigations and prosecutions.
Complex Commercial Litigation: representation of companies in the litigation of significant disputes involving contracts and commercial dealings.
- Served as lead trial counsel defending major national insurance company against claims for nationwide environmental pollution coverage in lengthy jury trial that resulted in directed verdict for insurers.
- Served as lead appellate counsel for major national insurer in Wellington ADR appeal that succeeded in reversing adverse trial decision that had awarded substantial coverage for asbestos claims.
- Defended major Boston bank in criminal jury trial that resulted in directed verdict on fraud charges but conviction on lesser regulatory charges.
- Represented Fortune 500 company in favorable settlement of groundbreaking criminal environmental charges.
- Tried Massachusetts Appellate Tax Board case that resulted in largest individual income tax refund in state ($47 million).
- Defended major national commodities brokerage against nationwide class action fraud case, reaching successful settlement for company.
- Prosecuted and convicted Chairman of Massachusetts Senate Ways and Means Committee of extortion in lengthy criminal jury trial.
Presentations and Publications
- "Where is the Pro Rata V. All Sums Debate Today?" co-author, Insurance Law360, December 2014.
- “'Additional Insured' at Stake in Texas High Court BP Case," co-author, Insurance Law360, March 2014.
- “Q&A With Choate’s Hugh Scott,” featured, Insurance Law360, March 2013.
- “The Choice-Of-Law Conundrum,” co-author, Insurance Law360, November 2011.
- "Boston Gas: Massachusetts Chooses 'Pro Rata' Allocation for 'Long Tail' Claims." co-author, Boston Bar Journal, Winter 2010.
- “Liability for Long-Tail Claims: Pro Rata or All Sums?” co-author, Law360, November 2009.
- Computer and Intellectual Property Crime: Federal and State Law, BNA Books, 2001.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. Scott is a member of the Boston Bar Association and American Bar Association. He is also on the New England Legal Foundation Advisory Board and served for many years on the District of Massachusetts Criminal Justice Act Board.
Mr. Scott is a Fellow in the American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel, a group of preeminent coverage and extracontractual counsel in the US and Canada dedicated to improving the civility and quality of the practice of insurance law. Membership by nomination is limited to 1,000 lawyers with at least 15 years of experience.