Mike Gass, Christine Savage
Diana Lloyd, Jack Cinquegrana, Melissa Tearney
- toggleMelissa Tearney Selected by The NLJ
Melissa Tearney has been selected as a "White Collar Crime Trailblazer" by The National Law Journal. Read more...
Choate represents companies and individuals in connection with major Department of Justice healthcare fraud investigations and prosecutions. Recent matters include the defense of national pharmaceutical companies and their officers and employees, a national health insurer in an aggressively litigated qui tam case, and one of the state’s largest managed care health plans.
Choate’s expertise covers the spectrum of securities fraud cases, including DOJ investigations, SEC investigations and enforcement actions, and private class action and derivative litigation. We have successfully defended many companies and individuals in a variety of cases involving revenue recognition, insider trading, market manipulation, market timing and stock option dating practices. We currently represent companies, special committees and individuals in a number of options dating cases.
For additional information on our government enforcement and compliance capabilities, please click here.
Please click on the links below for partial lists of our engagements in these areas:
We have represented clients involved in a broad range of issues, including:
- Marine Technology Company, in defense of alleged federal criminal export control and ITAR violations regarding military technology. We negotiated a favorable civil settlement with the Department of Commerce.
- High Technology Company, in defense of alleged export control violations regarding dual use microwave devices. We negotiated a favorable civil settlement with the Department of Commerce and developed an export controls compliance program for the company.
- Defense Contractors, in federal and internal investigations involving alleged false representations and regulatory violations in the defense contracting process.
- International Equipment Manufacturer, in connection with a government investigation related to a death at one of its installations.
- Founder of a Nationally Known Retail Chain, in connection with a high net worth audit being conducted by the Internal Revenue Service.
- High Net Worth Taxpayers, in connection with voluntary disclosures related to foreign bank accounts and foreign trusts.
- Senior Official of a Petroleum Testing Company, in defense of a federal environmental prosecution alleging falsification of test results and obstruction of justice. We obtained a favorable result after trial and appeal.
- Board of Trustees of a Secondary School, in connection with the school's response to allegations of criminal conduct against a former teacher.
- Principal of a US Consulting Firm, in connection with an investigation involving potential violations of the Foreign Agents Registration Act in Libya.
- Government Contractor, in a federal investigation regarding use of minority set asides and federal funding. The government declined to bring any charges against our client.
- Engineering, Environmental and Operational Employees, in connection with the investigation of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.
- Owner of a Chain of Retail Stores, in defense of a federal prosecution for tax fraud and a related public corruption investigation.
- Equipment Manufacturer, in connection with a federal investigation regarding employment of illegal alien workers through independent contractor organizations.
- Executives of an International Consulting Firm, in connection with a federal procurement fraud investigation.
- Senior Official of a Foreign Government, in connection with a US money laundering investigation.
- Attorneys and Judges, in professional disciplinary proceedings.