Kevin Finnerty represents global insurers and reinsurers in significant coverage disputes, and helps financial services companies, biotech companies, and other industry-leading companies to resolve complex commercial litigation successfully and efficiently. He has handled cases in a variety of state and federal courts, and in arbitration.
In 2017, Kevin served as a Special Assistant District Attorney with the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office.
Kevin’s clients have included Starr Insurance Companies, John Hancock Financial, and Alnylam Pharmaceuticals.
- Boston Magazine Top Lawyer in Commercial Litigation (2022)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers "Rising Star“
- Advise reinsurers concerning COVID-19 coverage disputes in connection with property, liability, and workers’ compensation losses.
- Represent reinsurers and cedents in coverage disputes concerning property catastrophes, asbestos losses, construction defects, variable annuities, and industry loss warranties.
- Advise insurers with respect to complex coverage issues, including talc losses, pharmaceutical losses, and nationwide clergy abuse claims.
- Prevailed at trial while representing leading insurer in action to rescind $25 million product contamination policy based upon policyholder’s material misrepresentation during the policy application process.
- Represented international financial services company in successful appeal regarding breach of pharmaceutical research funding agreement, leading to recovery of more than $50 million.
- Represented industry-leading biotechnology company in trade secret misappropriation lawsuit.
- Represented global private equity firm in successful motion to dismiss breach of contract action.
Presentations & Publications
Education & Credentials
- Boston College Law School
- JD, 2014, magna cum laude
- Articles Editor, Boston College Law Review
- Tufts University
- BA, 2011
District of Massachusetts
U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
The Legal 500 2022 recognized 31 Choate attorneys in their respective fields and 14 practice areas, with education and middle-market M&A receiving Tier 1 rankings.
Six Choate attorneys – John Chambers, Kevin Finnerty, Dr. Xiaodong Li, Mike Shinall, Sean Small, and Shaina Wamsley London – have been elected principal at the Firm, effective May 1, 2021.