Sophie Wang represents biotech, pharmaceutical, and technology companies in complex and high stakes intellectual property and commercial disputes across the country. She is a go-to resource for clients in the life sciences industry, including for complex patent litigation (including Hatch-Waxman and biosimilar litigation), post-grant review (PGR) and inter partes review (IPR) proceedings before the United States Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB), trade secrets litigation, and contract, licensing, and other commercial disputes. Sophie also routinely advises clients on the management of their US and global patent and litigation strategies, including regularly consulting with counsel before the EPO and in the UK, Germany, and other foreign jurisdictions.
Sophie’s practice also includes regular representation of leading industry organizations in submitting amicus curiae briefs to the U.S. Supreme Court and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit on a variety of key IP issues. She is also a frequent speaker and writer on IP-related topics and policies and has served in leadership roles in numerous organizations including the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA), the Alan D. Lourie Boston Intellectual Property American Inn of Court, and the Asian American Lawyers Association of Massachusetts (AALAM).
Sophie has extensive civil and criminal jury trial experience, having also served as a Special Assistant District Attorney in Suffolk County. She is a native speaker of Mandarin Chinese.
- A World’s Leading Patent Practitioner by IAM Patent 1000 (2022-2023)
- Acritas Stars 2020
- LMG Life Sciences U.S. Intellectual Property Rising Star 2020
- Managing IP Magazine Rising Star
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Star
- Massachusetts Top Women Rising Star
- “Future Star” by Benchmark Litigation
Patent Trial and Appeal Board and Appellate Proceedings
- Sandoz Inc. v. Biogen MA Inc., PTAB: Counsel for Biogen in defending patent directed to novel methods of treating inflammatory and autoimmune diseases using TYSABRI® (natalizumab).
- Valo Early Discovery, Inc. v. Hybrigenics SA., Fed. Cir.: Counsel for Valo Early Discovery, Inc. (f/k/a Integral Early Discovery, Inc.) in an appeal of a PTAB post-grant review decision involving a patent protecting novel inhibitors of ubiquitin-specific protease 7 (USP7).
- Foundation Medicine, Inc. v. Guardant Health, Inc., PTAB, Fed. Cir.: Counsel for Foundation Medicine in multiple IPR proceedings and before the Federal Circuit successfully challenging patents relating to next generation sequencing analysis.
- Regeneron Pharm., Inc. v. Kymab Ltd., PTAB: Counsel for Regeneron in multiple IPR proceedings challenging patents directed to transgenic mice and methods of using transgenic mice.
- Kashiv BioSciences, LLC v. Amgen Inc., PTAB: Counsel for Kashiv in IPR proceedings challenging patents relating to methods of protein refolding and purification.
- Guardant Health, Inc. v. Foundation Medicine, Inc., PTAB: Counsel for Foundation Medicine in IPR proceedings defending patents protecting innovative comprehensive genomic cancer assays using next generation sequencing.
- Hybrigenics SA v. FORMA Therapeutics, Inc., PTAB: Counsel for FORMA Therapeutics, Inc. in a PGR proceeding defending a patent protecting novel inhibitors of ubiquitin-specific protease 7 (USP7).
- Alarm.com, Inc. v. Rothschild Broadcast Distribution Sys., LLC, PTAB: Counsel for Alarm.com, Inc. in an IPR proceeding challenging a patent directed to systems and methods for media content storage and delivery.
- Saudi Arabian Oil Co. v. SK Innovation Co. Ltd., PTAB: Counsel for Saudi Arabian Oil Co. in an IPR proceeding challenging a patent directed to polycarbonates.
- Green Cross Corp. v. Shire Human Genetic Therapies, Inc., Fed Cir: Counsel for Shire in defending appeal of IPR decision relating to novel methods for purifying recombinantly produced proteins for enzyme replacement therapy.
Trial and Appellate Proceedings
- Radius Health, Inc. and Ipsen Pharma S.A.S. v. Orbicular Pharmaceutical Technologies Private Limited, D. Mass.: Counsel for Radius and Ipsen in Hatch-Waxman patent litigation relating to TYMLOS® (abaloparatide).
- Biogen Inc. and Biogen MA Inc. v. Sandoz Inc. et al., D. Del.: Counsel for Biogen in biosimilar patent litigation under the Biologics Price Competition and Innovation Act (BPCIA) concerning TYSABRI® (natalizumab).
- Milliman, Inc. et al. v. Gradient A.I. Corp. et al., D. Mass.: Counsel for Gradient A.I. in patent infringement and trade secret litigation relating to systems for de-identifying data.
- Amgen Inc., et al. v. Sanofi, et al., U.S. Supreme Court: Counsel for Sir Gregory Paul Winter and Interested Scientists in filing amicus brief in support of the Respondents on the merits.
- United States v. Arthrex, Inc., et al.; Smith & Nephew, Inc., et al. v. Arthrex, Inc., et al.; Arthrex, Inc. v. Smith & Nephew, Inc., et al., U.S. Supreme Court: Counsel for the American Intellectual Property Law Association in filing amicus brief in support of reversal on the merits.
- Guardant Health, Inc. v. Foundation Medicine, Inc., D. Del.: Counsel for Foundation Medicine in patent infringement litigations relating to next generation sequencing analysis.
- Acorda Therapeutics, Inc. v. Roxane Labs., et al., U.S. Supreme Court: Counsel for the Boston Patent Law Association in filing amicus brief in support of neither party at the petition stage.
- Amgen Inc. et al. v. Adello Biologics, LLC/Kashiv Biosciences, D. N.J.: Counsel for Adello/Kashiv in complex patent infringement litigation arising under the Biologics Price Competition and Innovation Act of 2009 (“BPCIA”) relating to Kashiv’s application to the FDA seeking approval of its filgrastim product as a biosimilar to Amgen’s filgrastim product sold under the brand name Neupogen.
- MicroTechnologies, LLC v. Autonomy, Inc. (a/k/a HP Autonomy), et al., N.D. Cal.: Trial counsel for Hewlett-Packard in federal jury trial regarding complex contract and fraud dispute arising out of Hewlett-Packard’s acquisition of Autonomy Corporation, PLC.
- Momenta Pharm., Inc. v. Amphastar Pharm., Inc. et al., D. Mass., Fed Cir: Trial and appellate counsel for Momenta in patent infringement litigation relating to innovative methods of processing therapeutic polysaccharides.
- Momenta Pharm., Inc. v. Teva Pharm., USA Inc., D. Mass., Fed Cir: Counsel for Momenta in patent infringement litigation relating to innovative methods of processing therapeutic polysaccharides.
- Helsinn Healthcare S.A. v. Teva Pharm. USA Inc., U.S. Supreme Court: Counsel for the Massachusetts Biotechnology Council in filing amicus brief in support of the petition for writ of certiorari.
- Oil States Energy Services, LLC v. Greene’s Energy Group, LLC, et al., U.S. Supreme Court: Counsel for the Boston Patent Law Association in filing amicus brief in support of neither party on the merits.
- Gilead Sciences, Inc. et al., v. Natco Pharma Limited, et al., Fed. Cir.: Counsel for Biotechnology Industry Organization & The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America in filing amicus brief in support of petition for rehearing en banc.
- Limelight Networks, Inc. v. Akamai Technologies, Inc., E.D. Va.: Counsel for Akamai in patent infringement litigation relating to novel content delivery methods.
- Children’s Medical Center Corporation v. Celgene Corporation, D. Mass.: Counsel for Celgene in breach of contract litigation regarding exclusive license agreement related to patents concerning Revlimid® and Pomalyst® (treatments for cancer).
- Medtronic MiniMed Inc. v. Insulet Corp., C.D. Cal., Becton, Dickinson and Co. v. Insulet Corp., D. N.J.: Counsel to Insulet Corporation in multiple patent infringement litigations involving insulin delivery devices and blood glucose meter technology.
- Tekmira Pharm. Corp. v. Alnylam Pharm. and AlCana Tech., Inc., MA Sup Ct.: Counsel for AlCana in trade secret litigation brought against AlCana and its research collaboration partner Alnylam concerning novel lipid nanoparticles used as drug delivery vehicle for siRNA therapeutics.
Publications and Presentations
- “Year in Review: A High-Level Look at the Most Significant Legislative, Enforcement and Policy Developments Influencing Life Sciences IP, Products Liability and Compliance in 2023,” panelist, ACI Women Leaders in Life Sciences Law Conference, July 2023.
- “Navigating a Career in IP Law,” panelist, Asian American Law Association of Massachusetts, April 2023.
- “Biosimilar Litigation: Where are we now?” panelist, BIO IPCC Fall Conference, November 2022.
- “PTAB Trends: Where Does the PTAB Fit in for Life Sciences Companies,” moderator, IPWatchdog Life Sciences Masters, October 2022.
- “A Practice-by-Practice Examination of Key Legal Developments Impacting the Life Sciences Industry in the Last Year,” speaker, ACI Women Leaders in Life Sciences Law Virtual Conference, July 2021.
- “Arthrex and its Impact on Your Practice,” webinar moderator, American Intellectual Property Law Association, July 2021.
- “Getting Ready for Arthrex Oral Arguments,” speaker, NYIPLA Webinar, February 2021.
- “Breaking Through Bias: Overcoming Gendered Perceptions in the Workplace, Boardroom, and Courtroom,” speaker, ACI Women Leaders in Life Sciences Law Conference, November 2020.
- “Don’t Be Barred by the On-Sale Bar: Helsinn and Other Case Updates,” moderator, BIO International Convention, June 2019.
- “Supreme Court ruling raises concerns about pharmaceutical, tech patents,” quoted, Boston Business Journal, January 2019.
- “On-Sale Bar Questions Leading Up To Helsinn At High Court,” co-author, Law360, August 2018.
- “What to Expect From Intellectual Property Cases Before SCOTUS This Term,” panelist, Boston Bar Association, June 2018.
- “Summary of Oil States Decision,” author, BPLA Newsletter, Spring 2018 Edition.
- “Oil States v. Greene’s Energy and SAS Institute v. Iancu: A Round Table Discussion,” discussion leader, BPLA Committee Event, May 2018.
- “Oil States Energy Services, LLC v. Greene’s Energy Group, LLC,” panelist, The Administrative-Private Law Interface Conference, March 2018.
- “Trademark Law for Patent Litigators/Patent Law for Trademark Litigators,” speaker, Boston Bar Association, February 2018.
- “In the Hot Seat—Upcoming Cases in the Supreme Court and Federal Circuit,” panelist, BIO IPCC Fall Conference, November 2017.
- “When Courts Invoke Equitable Tolling In Noncompete Cases,” co-author, Commercial Contracts Law 360, August 2015.
- “Secondary Consideration for Pharma Patents get 2nd Look,” co-author, IP Law360.
- “Trade Secrets in Life Sciences: Challenges and Opportunities in a Collaborative and Mobile Environment,” co-author, Bloomberg BNA.
- “Health Law Case Brief: Grocela v. General Hospital Corporation,” author, BBA Health Law Reporter.
- “Lessons From Post-Uniloc Cases,” co-author, IP Law360.
- “New Dodd-Frank Whistleblower Rules: Protecting Your Company Now,” co-author, Corporate Compliance Insights.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Vice Chair of Amicus Committee of the American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Board Member/Former Counselor of the Alan D. Lourie Boston Intellectual Property American Inn of Court
- Board Member of the Asian American Lawyers Association of Massachusetts
- PTAB Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Former Diversity ad hoc Committee Member of the Boston Patent Law Association
- Former Steering Committee Member of the Choate Women’s Network
- Choate’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Strategic Planning Committee
Education & Credentials
- Washington University School of Law
- JD, 2010, cum laude
- Primary Editor, Journal of Law & Policy
- Wellesley College
- BA, 2007
U.S. District Court, Massachusetts
U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
Choate and Anita Spieth are noted in Law360’s article, “Individual Inventors Face Rough Day At Federal Circuit,” regarding a three-judge panel’s non-precedential opinion in Shamoon v. Resideo Technologies Inc. The Federal Circuit upheld the PTAB's decision to invalidate an inventor’s patent claims related to wireless communications.
Sophie Wang is speaking at the opening session of the ACI Women Leaders in Life Sciences Law Conference on Wednesday, July 26th in a panel entitled, "Year in Review: A High-Level Look at the Most Significant Legislative, Enforcement and Policy Developments Influencing Life Sciences IP, Products Liability and Compliance in 2023."
Ten Choate attorneys have been recognized in the 2023 IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Professionals, and the firm is one of three firms to receive a “Silver” ranking for patent litigation, placing it in the top six in Massachusetts, and one of only four firms to be “Highly Recommended” in patent prosecution.
In this episode of Choate’s Life Sciences Insights Podcast Series, Sophie Wang, Stephanie Schonewald and Peter Flynn discuss the US Supreme Court’s opinion in Amgen v. Sanofi, one of this term’s most highly-watched cases for our clients concerning the law of enablement as it applies to patents directed to antibody therapeutics.
Choate attended the recent PTAB Bar Association Conference in Washington, DC to hear the latest updates and trends. The conference included a keynote speech by Chief Judge Scott Boalick and a “fireside chat” with Under Secretary of Commerce for IP and Director of the USPTO, Kathi Vidal, and the always enjoyable Judges’ Panel.
Sophie Wang will join panelists at the Asian American Law Association of Massachusetts (AALAM) on April 11 to discuss, "Navigating a Career in IP Law." The discussion will feature in-house and law firm lawyers practicing IP law from a variety of perspectives, including litigation, patent prosecution, trademark, copyright, and more.