Sophie Wang represents biotech, pharmaceutical, and technology companies in complex intellectual property and commercial disputes across the country. Her practice focuses on complex patent litigation and trade secrets litigation in federal and state trial and appellate courts, post-grant and inter partes review proceedings before the United States Patent and Trial Appeal Board (PTAB), and contract and licensing disputes within the life sciences and technology industries. Ms. Wang also represents leading industry organizations in submitting amicus curiae briefs to the U.S. Supreme Court and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit on a variety of key issues concerning intellectual property rights.
Ms. Wang has extensive civil and criminal jury trial experience, having also served as a Special Assistant District Attorney in Suffolk County.
Ms. Wang has been named a Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Star and a Massachusetts Top Women Rising Star. She is a native speaker of Mandarin Chinese.
Complex Intellectual Property Disputes: represents clients in complex patent infringement litigation, trade secret litigation, and licensing disputes within the life sciences and technology industries.
Post Grant Proceedings: represents clients in AIA post-grant review proceedings, including inter partes review and post-grant review proceedings.
Complex Commercial Litigation: represents clients securities and antitrust litigation, unfair competition, commercial contract disputes.
Patent Trial and Appeal Board and Appellate Proceedings
Kashiv BioSciences, LLC v. Amgen Inc., PTAB: Counsel for Kashiv in IPR proceedings challenging patents relating to methods of protein refolding and purification.
Guardant Health, Inc. v. Foundation Medicine, Inc., PTAB: Counsel for Foundation Medicine in IPR proceedings defending patents protecting innovative comprehensive genomic cancer assays using next generation sequencing.
Hybrigenics SA v. FORMA Therapeutics, Inc., PTAB: Counsel for FORMA Therapeutics, Inc. in a PGR proceeding defending a patent protecting novel inhibitors of ubiquitin-specific protease 7 (USP7).
Alarm.com, Inc. v. Rothschild Broadcast Distribution Sys., LLC, PTAB: Counsel for Alarm.com, Inc. in an IPR proceeding challenging a patent directed to systems and methods for media content storage and delivery.
Saudi Arabian Oil Co. v. SK Innovation Co. Ltd., PTAB: Counsel for Saudi Arabian Oil Co. in an IPR proceeding challenging a patent directed to polycarbonates.
- Green Cross Corp. v. Shire Human Genetic Therapies, Inc., Fed Cir: Counsel for Shire in defending appeal of IPR decision relating to novel methods for purifying recombinantly produced proteins for enzyme replacement therapy.
Trial and Appellate Proceedings
- Acorda Therapeutics, Inc. v. Roxane Labs., et al., Supreme Court: Counsel for the Boston Patent Law Association in filing amicus brief in support of neither party at the petition stage.
Amgen Inc. et al. v. Adello Biologics, LLC, D. N.J.: Counsel for Adello in complex patent infringement litigation arising under the Biologics Price Competition and Innovation Act of 2009 (“BPCIA”) relating to methods of protein refolding and purification.
MicroTechnologies, LLC v. Autonomy, Inc. (a/k/a HP Autonomy), et al., N.D. Cal.: Trial counsel for Hewlett-Packard in federal jury trial regarding complex contract and fraud dispute arising out of Hewlett-Packard’s acquisition of Autonomy Corporation, PLC.
Momenta Pharm., Inc. v. Amphastar Pharm., Inc. et al., D Mass, Fed Cir: Trial and appellate counsel for Momenta in patent infringement litigation relating to innovative methods of processing therapeutic polysaccharides.
Momenta Pharm., Inc. v. Teva Pharm., USA Inc., D Mass., Fed Cir: Counsel for Momenta in patent infringement litigation relating to innovative methods of processing therapeutic polysaccharides.
Helsinn Healthcare S.A. v. Teva Pharm. USA Inc., Supreme Court: Counsel for the Massachusetts Biotechnology Council in filing amicus brief in support of the petition for writ of certiorari.
Oil States Energy Services, LLC v. Greene’s Energy Group, LLC, et al., Supreme Court: Counsel for the Boston Patent Law Association in filing amicus brief in support of neither party on the merits.
Gilead Sciences, Inc. et al., v. Natco Pharma Limited, et al., Fed. Cir.: Counsel for Biotechnology Industry Organization & The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America in filing amicus brief in support of petition for rehearing en banc.
Limelight Networks, Inc. v. Akamai Technologies, Inc., ED Va: Counsel for Akamai in patent infringement litigation relating to novel content delivery methods.
Children’s Medical Center Corporation v. Celgene Corporation, D Mass: Counsel for Celgene in breach of contract litigation regarding exclusive license agreement related to patents concerning Revlimid® and Pomalyst® (treatments for cancer).
Becton, Dickinson & Co. v. Insulet Corp., D NJ: Counsel for Insulet in patent infringement litigation relating to insulin injection and infusion devices.
Tekmira Pharm. Corp. v. Alnylam Pharm. and AlCana Tech., Inc., MA Sup Ct.: Counsel for AlCana in trade secret litigation brought against AlCana and its research collaboration partner Alnylam concerning novel lipid nanoparticles used as drug delivery vehicle for siRNA therapeutics.
Publications and Presentations
- “Supreme Court ruling raises concerns about pharmaceutical, tech patents,” quoted, Boston Business Journal, January 2019.
- “On-Sale Bar Questions Leading Up To Helsinn At High Court,” co-author, Law360, August 2018.
- “What to Expect From Intellectual Property Cases Before SCOTUS This Term,” panelist, Boston Bar Association, June 2018.
- “Summary of Oil States Decision,” author, BPLA Newsletter, Spring 2018 Edition.
- “Oil States v. Greene’s Energy and SAS Institute v. Iancu: A Round Table Discussion”, discussion leader, BPLA Committee Event, May 2018.
- “Oil States Energy Services, LLC v. Greene’s Energy Group, LLC,” panelist, The Administrative-Private Law Interface Conference, March 2018.
- "Trademark Law for Patent Litigators/Patent Law for Trademark Litigators," speaker, Boston Bar Association, February 2018.
- “In the Hot Seat—Upcoming Cases in the Supreme Court and Federal Circuit,” panelist, BIO IPCC Fall Conference, November 2017.
- "When Courts Invoke Equitable Tolling In Noncompete Cases,” co-author, Commercial Contracts Law 360, August 2015.
- “Secondary Consideration for Pharma Patents get 2nd Look,” co-author, IP Law360, November 2014.
- “Trade Secrets in Life Sciences: Challenges and Opportunities in a Collaborative and Mobile Environment,” co-author, Bloomberg BNA, November 2013.
- “Health Law Case Brief: Grocela v. General Hospital Corporation,” author, BBA Health Law Reporter, January 2013.
- “Lessons From Post-Uniloc Cases,” co-author, IP Law360, September 2011.
- “New Dodd-Frank Whistleblower Rules: Protecting Your Company Now,” co-author, Corporate Compliance Insights, August 2011.
Professional and Community Involvement
Ms. Wang is a member of the Board of the Boston Intellectual Property American Inn of Court. She is also a member of the Boston Bar Association, the Asian American Lawyers Association of Massachusetts, the Boston Patent Law Association, the PTAB Bar Association, and the American Intellectual Property Law Association. She also participates in the firm’s pro bono program and Women’s Leadership Network, and serves on the Firm’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
Education & Credentials
- Washington University School of Law
- JD, 2010, cum laude
- Primary Editor, Journal of Law & Policy
- Wellesley College
- BA, 2007
U.S. District Court, Massachusetts
U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
Rob Sahr and Sophie Wang discuss Helsinn v. Teva in, “Supreme Court ruling raises concerns about pharmaceutical, tech patents,” published by the Boston Business Journal.
Michael Bunis, Sophie Wang and Margaret Burnside discuss cases dealing with the on-sale bar doctrine and what impact the decision of Helsinn Healthcare SA v. Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc. will have on existing Federal Circuit precedent in Law360.
Foundation Medicine, Inc. and Guardant Health, Inc. announced an agreement to settle a patent infringement lawsuit brought by Foundation Medicine against Guardant concerning U.S. Patent No. 9,340,830.
Choate successfully defends Shire Human Genetic Therapies, Inc. in an appeal in the Federal Circuit of a favorable inter partes review decision from the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
Sophie Wang discusses the recent Oil States decision and its impact on the future of inter partes review.