Sophie Wang is Counsel in Choate's Intellectual Property Litigation Group, which has been top-ranked by Chambers USA and whose members have been recognized in Best Lawyers in America. Her practice focuses on complex patent litigation and inter partes review proceedings, trade secrets litigation, copyright and trademark issues, and contract and licensing disputes.
Ms. Wang also has prosecutorial experience, having served as a Special Assistant District Attorney in Suffolk County at the Boston Municipal Court, where she gained significant criminal jury trial experience and motion practice experience.
Ms. Wang has been named a Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Star and a Massachusetts Top Women Rising Star.
Complex Intellectual Property Disputes: complex patent infringement litigation, trade secret litigation, licensing disputes, and inter partes review proceedings within the technology, software, and life sciences industries.
Complex Commercial Litigation: securities and antitrust litigation, unfair competition, commercial contract disputes.
- Momenta Pharm., Inc. v. Amphastar Pharm., Inc. et al., D. Mass. , Fed. Cir.: Trial and appellate counsel for Momenta in patent infringement litigation relating to innovative methods of processing therapeutic polysaccharides.
- Green Cross Corp. v. Shire Human Genetic Therapies, Inc., Fed. Cir.: Counsel for Shire in defending appeal of IPR decision relating to novel methods for purifying recombinantly produced proteins for enzyme replacement therapy.
- Foundation Medicine, Inc. v. Guardant Health, Inc., PTAB: Counsel for Foundation Medicine in IPR proceedings relating to innovative comprehensive genomic cancer assays using next generation sequencing.
- Helsinn Healthcare S.A. v. Teva Pharm. USA Inc., Supreme Court: Counsel for the Massachusetts Biotechnology Council in filing amicus brief in support of the petition for writ of certiorari.
- Oil States Energy Services, LLC v. Greene’s Energy Group, LLC, et al., Supreme Court: Counsel for the Boston Patent Law Association in filing amicus brief in support of neither party on the merits.
- Gilead Sciences, Inc. et al., v. Natco Pharma Limited, et al., Fed. Cir.: Counsel for Biotechnology Industry Organization & The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America in filing amicus brief in support of petition for rehearing en banc.
- Limelight Networks, Inc. v. Akamai Technologies, Inc., E.D. Va.: Counsel for Akamai in patent infringement litigation relating to novel content delivery methods.
- Children’s Medical Center Corporation v. Celgene Corporation, D. Mass: Counsel for Celgene in breach of contract litigation regarding exclusive license agreement related to patents concerning Revlimid® and Pomalyst® (treatments for cancer).
- Becton, Dickinson & Co. v. Insulet Corp., D. N.J.: Counsel for Insulet in patent infringement litigation relating to insulin injection and infusion devices.
- Tekmira Pharm. Corp. v. Alnylam Pharm. and AlCana Tech., Inc., MA. Sup. Ct.: Counsel for AlCana in trade secret litigation brought against AlCana and its research collaboration partner Alnylam concerning novel lipid nanoparticles used as drug delivery vehicle for siRNA therapeutics.
- Momenta Pharm., Inc. v. Teva Pharm., USA Inc., D. Mass. , Fed. Cir.: Counsel for Momenta in patent infringement litigation relating to innovative methods of processing therapeutic polysaccharides.
Publications and Presentations
- “On-Sale Bar Questions Leading Up To Helsinn At High Court,” co-author, Law360, August 2018.
- “What to Expect From Intellectual Property Cases Before SCOTUS This Term,” panelist, Boston Bar Association, June 2018.
- “Summary of Oil States Decision,” author, BPLA Newsletter, Spring 2018 Edition.
- “Oil States v. Greene’s Energy and SAS Institute v. Iancu: A Round Table Discussion”, discussion leader, BPLA Committee Event, May 2018.
- “Oil States Energy Services, LLC v. Greene’s Energy Group, LLC,” panelist, The Administrative-Private Law Interface Conference, March 2018.
- "Trademark Law for Patent Litigators/Patent Law for Trademark Litigators," speaker, Boston Bar Association, February 2018.
- “In the Hot Seat—Upcoming Cases in the Supreme Court and Federal Circuit,” panelist, BIO IPCC Fall Conference, November 2017.
- "When Courts Invoke Equitable Tolling In Noncompete Cases,” co-author, Commercial Contracts Law 360, August 2015.
- “Secondary Consideration for Pharma Patents get 2nd Look,” co-author, IP Law360, November 2014.
- “Trade Secrets in Life Sciences: Challenges and Opportunities in a Collaborative and Mobile Environment,” co-author, Bloomberg BNA, November 2013.
- “Health Law Case Brief: Grocela v. General Hospital Corporation,” author, BBA Health Law Reporter, January 2013.
- “Lessons From Post-Uniloc Cases,” co-author, IP Law360, September 2011.
- “New Dodd-Frank Whistleblower Rules: Protecting Your Company Now,” co-author, Corporate Compliance Insights, August 2011.
Professional and Community Involvement
Ms. Wang is a member of the Board of the Boston Intellectual Property American Inn of Court. She is also a member of the Boston Bar Association, the Asian American Lawyers Association of Massachusetts, the Boston Patent Law Association, the PTAB Bar Association, and the American Intellectual Property Law Association. She also participates in the firm’s pro bono program and Women’s Leadership Network.
Education & Credentials
- Washington University School of Law
- JD, 2010, cum laude
- Primary Editor, Journal of Law & Policy
- Wellesley College
- BA, 2007
U.S. District Court, Massachusetts
U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
Michael Bunis, Sophie Wang and Margaret Burnside discuss cases dealing with the on-sale bar doctrine and what impact the decision of Helsinn Healthcare SA v. Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc. will have on existing Federal Circuit precedent in Law360.
Foundation Medicine, Inc. and Guardant Health, Inc. announced an agreement to settle a patent infringement lawsuit brought by Foundation Medicine against Guardant concerning U.S. Patent No. 9,340,830.
Choate successfully defends Shire Human Genetic Therapies, Inc. in an appeal in the Federal Circuit of a favorable inter partes review decision from the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
Sophie Wang discusses the recent Oil States decision and its impact on the future of inter partes review.
Choate has elevated nine of its attorneys, across all five of its core focus areas, to Counsel effective May 1, 2018.