Anita Spieth is counsel in Choate's Intellectual Property Litigation Group. In 2017, Ms. Spieth was named a “Next Generation Lawyer” by Legal 500 US and a Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Star.
Complex Intellectual Property Disputes: assists in patent, trade secret, copyright and trademark litigation on behalf of leading corporations, frequently including biotech and pharmaceutical companies as well as software and hardware developers and telecommunications and internet service providers.
- Represented biopharmaceutical company in breach of contract litigation regarding exclusive license agreement related to cancer therapies.
- Represented leader in production and supply of reagents for life sciences industry regarding theft of trade secrets by former employees and founders with respect to new company.
- Represented US clothing retailer against claims of copyright infringement involving use of patterned fabric in apparel products.
- Represented US clothing retailer against claims of trademark and trade dress infringement involving logo used on apparel.
- Represented technology company in numerous misappropriation of trade secret actions relating to enterprise security, eGRC implementations and data storage technology. Cases also involved former employee’s violation of non-competition and non-solicitation agreements. Successfully pursued and obtained preliminary injunctions.
- Represented leader in production of and supply of reagents for life sciences industry in action against former employees and new competing venture for theft of trade secrets.
- Represented mobile CT manufacturer in lawsuit against former Principal Mechanical Engineer and new employer. Lawsuit alleged former employee misappropriated confidential information and violated non-compete obligations by working simultaneously for both companies. Technology related to computed tomography with specific emphasis on detector arrays, scintillator crystals and data acquisition systems.
- Assisted in defense of media outlet against defamation claims.
- Member of arbitration team that successfully represented company in dispute over costs of buying out minority shareholder.
- Researched and executed Digital Millennium Copyright Act internet take-downs of infringing media on behalf of leading financial institution.
Publications and Presentations
- “Trade Secrets in an Evolving Landscape: Practice Pointers for Biotech Patent Practitioners,” moderator, BIO IPCC Fall Conference, November 2018.
- “Decision Makers,” speaker, Boston Patent Law Association, New Hampshire’s Arthur J. Gajarsa Inn of Court, the Boston IP Inn of Court, September 2018.
- “2nd Circ. Set To Weigh in on CFAA Circuit Split,” co-author, Appellate Law360, July 2015.
- “Common Law v. UTSA: The Last States Standing,” co-author, IP Law360, April 2012.
- “UK Bribery Act 2010: Corporate exposure extended far beyond the FCPA,” co-author, Securities Litigation Law360, June 2010.
Professional and Community Involvement
Ms. Spieth is a member of the Boston Bar Association and the Women’s Bar Association. She represents individuals seeking asylum through Choate’s partnership with the Political Asylum/Immigration Representation Project.
Education & Credentials
- Harvard Law School
- JD, 2009
- Boston College
- BA, 2004, summa cum laude
U.S. District Court, Massachusetts
Four Choate attorneys – Mark DeFeo, Renat Lumpau, John Rearick, and Anita Spieth – have been named counsel at the Firm, effective May 1, 2017.