Anita Spieth has more than 10 years of experience representing life sciences and technology companies in high stakes patent infringement, trade secrets, and other complex IP litigation. She provides an effective and user-friendly case management approach and counsels clients on litigation strategy to achieve their goals. She also represents clients in connection with inter partes review proceedings before the USPTO Patent Trial and Appeal Board, as well as in copyright issues (particularly related to software and artificial intelligence) and trade secret disputes.
Anita makes her clients’ lives easier by taking tasks off of their plates and making their worries her own. She begins her work by gaining a thorough understanding of the internal workflow of her clients so that her work product is immediately useful and does not require additional cycles. She speaks in clear and plain terms that clients and – importantly – judges and juries can understand.
Anita has developed a global strategy to help clients manage risk and protect US intellectual property while related cases proceed internationally, including directing EPO strategy and various litigations throughout the world. Anita’s team at Choate has experience mustering and managing various international law firms to ensure that international positions are consistent with those taken in the U.S.
Anita’s clients include Takeda, Biogen, EMC/Dell, Alarm.com, and Pegasystems.
- “Next Generation Lawyer” by Legal 500 US
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers “Rising Star”
- Central Security Group - Nationwide, Inc. et al. v. Ubiquitous Connectivity, LP (PTAB): Representing petitioner Central Security Group in challenging patents related to the use of SMS (short message service) messages and cellular networks to control and monitor environmental devices.
- Shire v. CSL Behring LLC, D Del.: Counsel to Shire (now Takeda) in patent infringement action relating to use of biologic for treatment of hereditary angioedema. Advised Shire in successfully defending patents in multiple IPRs.
- Children’s Medical Center Corp. v. Celgene Corp. D Mass.: Represented Celgene in breach of contract litigation regarding exclusive license agreement related to cancer therapies.
- Advising biotechnology company regarding future biosimilar litigation and licensing opportunities.
- Advised clinical-stage biotechnology company, in view of competitor’s patents, on freedom-to-operate and litigation-planning strategy with respect to a biologic/medical device combination product.
- Represent intelligent security company and numerous authorized resellers in multiple patent infringement cases, pending nationwide. Represented same entities before the Patent Trial & Appeal Board.
- Represented technology company in numerous misappropriation of trade secret actions relating to enterprise security, eGRC implementations, and data storage technology. Cases also involved former employee’s violation of non-competition and non-solicitation agreements. Successfully pursued and obtained preliminary injunctions.
- Represented leader in production and supply of reagents for life sciences industry regarding theft of trade secrets by former employees and founders with respect to new company.
- Represented US clothing retailer against claims of copyright infringement involving use of patterned fabric in apparel products.
Publications and Presentations
- “Best Practices for Remote Proceedings,” webinar panelist, Boston Bar Association, May 2020.
- “Accomplishing Your Deposition Goals,” webinar panelist, Practicing Law Institute, March 2020.
- “Trade Secrets in an Evolving Landscape: Practice Pointers for Biotech Patent Practitioners,” moderator, BIO IPCC Fall Conference, November 2018.
- “Decision Makers,” speaker, Boston Patent Law Association, New Hampshire’s Arthur J. Gajarsa Inn of Court, the Boston IP Inn of Court, September 2018.
- “2nd Circ. Set To Weigh in on CFAA Circuit Split,” co-author, Appellate Law360, July 2015.
- “Common Law v. UTSA: The Last States Standing,” co-author, IP Law360.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member of the Boston Bar Association
- Member of the Intellectual Property Inn of Court
- Elected member of the Parks and Recreation Committee of Lincoln, Massachusetts
- Board member of Magic Garden Children’s Center
Education & Credentials
- Harvard Law School
- JD, 2009
- Boston College
- BA, 2004, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
U.S. District Court, Massachusetts
First Circuit Court of Appeals
Anita Spieth will present on the Boston Bar Association webinar panel “Best Practices for Remote Proceedings” on Wednesday, May 13.
Our Trade Secrets team outlines steps companies can take to make sure that their proprietary information remains protected during this unprecedented time.
Anita Spieth will present on the panel “Accomplishing Your Deposition Goals” at the Practicing Law Institute (PLI) Fundamentals of Taking and Defending Depositions 2020 on March 5.