J.P. Jaillet is the chair of the firm’s Insurance & Reinsurance Group. Mr. Jaillet represents insurers, reinsurers, private equity firms and other companies in complex business and coverage disputes. He has represented clients in courts and arbitration proceedings throughout the United States. In the past three years, Mr. Jaillet has served as trial counsel in six successful trials.
From 2001 to 2002, Mr. Jaillet served as an Assistant District Attorney for Suffolk County.
Insurance & Reinsurance Litigation: litigation and arbitration on behalf of insurance and reinsurance companies involving disputes regarding coverage for a variety of claims.
Complex Commercial & Financial Litigation: complex business-to-business litigation, professional liability litigation, civil fraud, significant contractual disputes, litigation avoidance strategies and general commercial advice and litigation.
- Advised reinsurers concerning large property claims, including aggregated ice dam losses.
- Advised life insurers and reinsurers concerning variable annuity disputes.
- Trial counsel for leading reinsurer in $75 million arbitration concerning treaty underwriting issues.
- Counsel for cedent confirming $100 million recovery in catastrophe bond dispute.
- Trial counsel for insurer in arbitration concerning protocol for reinsurer’s claim handling procedures.
- Trial counsel for various cedents obtaining multi-million dollar recoveries from reinsurers.
- Trial counsel for private equity firm in successful arbitration involving breach of contract and employment claims.
- Obtained summary judgment for private equity firm in lawsuit alleging investment fraud and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Trial counsel obtaining $5.75 million jury verdict for public company related to interference with a corporate sale.
Publications and Presentations
- “Opioid Coverage Issues: A Primer”, Boston, MA, February 5, 2018.
- “After the Final Award: When is it permissible and appropriate for panels to retain jurisdiction?”, ARIAS webinar, September 2017.
- "Reinsurance Risk," speaker, American Bar Association – Insurance Litigation Conference, March 2017
- "Reinsurance Primer," speaker, Boston Bar Association, April 2016.
- "Deflategate, Reinsurance and Arbitrator Bias," author, Employment Law360, August 2015.
- "Ex Parte Communication in Reinsurance Arbitrations: Impact of Recent Cases," speaker, ARIAS Arbitrator Workshop, November 2014.
- “The Ins and Outs of Cyber-insurance,” speaker, Boston Bar Association seminar, March 2014.
Education & Credentials
- University of Virginia School of Law
- JD, 2000
- University of Notre Dame
- BA, 1997, magna cum laude