J.P. Jaillet, chair of Choate’s Insurance & Reinsurance Group, provides clients with a combination of successful trial results in big-ticket coverage disputes and expertise of the industry and its arbitrators. J.P. routinely represents large insurers, reinsurers, private equity firms, and other companies in complex business and coverage disputes, including reinsurance arbitration.
J.P.’s clients include Liberty Mutual, Swiss Re, Munich Re, Sompo, Chubb, Berkley, and General Electric.
J.P. is the co-chair of Choate’s Hiring Committee, where he helps lead firm-wide recruitment and summer associate talent development.
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers
- The Legal 500: Next Generation Partner (2020-2022)
Insurance and Reinsurance
- Advise reinsurers concerning COVID-19 coverage issues in connection with property, liability, and workers’ compensation losses.
- Represented reinsurers concerning large property claims and aggregation issues, including with respect to ice dam, wildfire, and storm losses.
- Trial counsel for various cedents obtaining multi-million dollar recoveries arising out of asbestos losses.
- Advised life insurers and reinsurers concerning variable annuity disputes.
- Trial counsel for leading reinsurer in $75 million arbitration concerning treaty underwriting issues.
- Obtained $100 million recovery in catastrophe bond dispute.
- Trial counsel for insurer in arbitration concerning protocol for reinsurer’s claim handling procedures.
- Advised large insurer concerning direct-side opioid claims.
Complex Business Litigation
- Trial counsel obtaining $5.75 million jury verdict for public company related to interference with a corporate sale.
- Represent major technology company in connection with alleged $40 million fraudulent transfer.
- Obtained summary judgment for private equity firm in lawsuit alleging $25M million investment fraud and breach of fiduciary duty.
Publications and Presentations
- “Post-Pandemic COVID Losses,” moderator, ARIAS Re/insurance Seminar, March 2023.
- “An Update on Complex and Emerging Risks: Revivor Claims, Opioids and PFAS,” panelist, ARIAS-US Spring Conference, May 2021.
- “Opioid Coverage Issues: A Primer,” Boston, MA, February 5, 2018.
- “After the Final Award: When is it permissible and appropriate for panels to retain jurisdiction?,” ARIAS webinar, September 2017.
- "Reinsurance Risk," speaker, American Bar Association – Insurance Litigation Conference, March 2017
- "Reinsurance Primer," speaker, Boston Bar Association, April 2016.
- "Deflategate, Reinsurance and Arbitrator Bias," author, Employment Law360, August 2015.
- "Ex Parte Communication in Reinsurance Arbitrations: Impact of Recent Cases," speaker, ARIAS Arbitrator Workshop.
- “The Ins and Outs of Cyber-insurance,” speaker, Boston Bar Association seminar.
Education & Credentials
- University of Virginia School of Law
- JD, 2000
- University of Notre Dame
- BA, 1997, magna cum laude
he is very skilled in deposition preparation and litigation strategy, and proactive in his handling of all issues.
Choate Pro Bono Team Files Amicus Brief to Preserve Massachusetts Gun Safety Laws
A Choate Pro Bono team filed an amicus brief to the First Circuit on behalf of Giffords, a national organization working to preserve gun safety laws.
Choate Attorneys and Practice Groups Receive High Rankings in the 2022 Legal 500
The Legal 500 2022 recognized 31 Choate attorneys in their respective fields and 14 practice areas, with education and middle-market M&A receiving Tier 1 rankings.
Choate Ranks Highly in The Legal 500 2021 Guide
The Legal 500 2021 recognized 31 Choate attorneys in their respective fields and 11 practice areas, with education and middle-market M&A receiving Tier 1 rankings.
Chambers USA 2019 Recognizes Choate Lawyers and Practice Groups
Chambers USA Guide to America's Leading Lawyers for Business recognized 28 Choate lawyers as leading counsel in their respective fields, with six receiving Band 1 rankings.
Chambers USA 2018 Recognizes Choate Lawyers and Practices
Choate lawyers and practice groups receive high marks from Chambers USA 2018
Actavis Not Owed Opioid Defense, Calif. Appeals Court Says