Brian Monnich, co-chair of Choate's Wealth Management Group, provides clients with sophisticated guidance on a broad array of wealth management matters. He takes a personal approach in advising clients of diverse ages, nationalities and across various industries.
Mr. Monnich is listed in Best Lawyers in America and has repeatedly been named a Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Star.
Wealth Management: advises on all aspects of wealth management, including development and implementation of estate planning strategies designed to minimize taxes and preserve family wealth.
Trustee: serves as trustee of numerous family and charitable trusts.
International Estate Planning: specializes in planning involving non-U.S. persons, non-U.S. assets and foreign trusts.
- Designed sophisticated wealth transfer strategy to enable owners of private company to transfer significant portion of economic value of company to trusts for descendants free of tax.
- Serves as Trustee of charitable foundation that has developed innovative grantmaking program to fund research for cure of Parkinson’s Disease.
- Advised non-U.S. institutional trustee in connection with restructuring of foreign trust to minimize U.S. tax liabilities.
- Assisted family with development of governance structure meant to facilitate management of family wealth over multiple generations.
- Counsels numerous clients in formulating customized trust provisions intended to offer economic benefits and protection to children without affecting their motivation to lead productive and fulfilling lives.
Publications and Presentations
“A Client Gifts Her Estate from Overseas,” featured, Wall Street Journal, November 2013.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. Monnich is a member of The Society of Trusts and Estates Practitioners (STEP). He is also an active volunteer for the Trustees of Reservations. Prior to his legal career, Mr. Monnich was a foreign language teacher at Tabor Academy in Marion, Massachusetts and the Landon School in Bethesda, Maryland.
Education & Credentials
- Boston College Law School
- JD, 2001, magna cum laude
- Boston College Law Review
- Georgetown University
- BA, 1995, magna cum laude