Nan Giner is a partner in Choate's Wealth Management Group. She delivers comprehensive counsel targeted to clients’ personal planning objectives, with an emphasis on sophisticated wealth transfer strategies. Her clients include company founders and other entrepreneurs, as well as domestic and international families.
Ms. Giner has been named a “Trust and Estates Trailblazer” by The National Law Journal and is annually listed in Best Lawyers in America. She is also listed as a leading individual in Chambers HNW Guide 2017, a 2014 “Top Woman of Law” by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, and has been ranked among the top 50 women Massachusetts Super Lawyers. She is proficient in Spanish and German.
Wealth Management: represents individuals and families in matters ranging from basic estate planning, wills and revocable trusts to sophisticated strategies for lifetime asset transfers.
Complex Gift & Estate Planning: estate planning strategies with a particular focus on integrating tax issues with securities law and partnership issues, as well as planning for and implementing US and foreign ownership and management structures. Strategic planning to minimize income, gift, estate and generation-skipping transfer taxes, including Grantor Retained Annuity Trusts (GRATs), Charitable Lead Trusts (CLATs) and Family Limited Liability Companies (FLLCs).
- Executed estate planning strategy for company founder that transferred $25 million to children free of gift tax through grantor retained annuity trust and sale of stock to intentionally defective grantor trust.
- Implemented purchase of off-shore private placement variable life insurance by dynasty trust to achieve income tax-free growth of investments during policy term.
- Worked on trust modification to split trust and gift the remainder interest at tax advantaged rates.
- Created limited liability companies and trusts to equalize gifts on tax advantaged basis among grandchildren and to provide for long-term asset protection of existing trusts.
Professional and Community Involvement
Ms. Giner is a fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel and a member of the Estate Planning Curriculum Advisory Committee for MCLE. She serves as a trustee of the Social Law Library in Boston and of the University of Massachusetts Amherst Foundation.
Education & Credentials
- Stanford Law School
- JD, 1985
- University of Massachusetts Amherst
- BA, 1982, cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Choate was ranked as a Band 1 Massachusetts Private Wealth Law practice in the 2017 edition of Chambers High Net Worth (HNW).
Four Choate partners – Karen F. Copenhaver, A. Silvana “Nan” Giner, Dr. Brenda Herschbach Jarrell, and Joan A. Lukey – have been named to the prestigious top “Women in Business Law” list for 2017.
Nan Giner, co-chair of the Wealth Management Group at Choate has been named a 2016 “Trusts & Estates Trailblazer” by The National Law Journal.