Mark DeFeo counsels private equity funds and emerging companies in acquisitions, equity investments, sales and other significant transactions. He also advises portfolio companies, start-ups and other businesses on general corporate matters, including governance, equity incentive compensation, financings, and commercial transactions. Mr. DeFeo has been named a Massachusetts Super Lawyer Rising Star.
Mergers & Acquisitions: mergers, acquisitions, leveraged buyouts, growth equity investments and other strategic transactions in various sectors, including business services, software, clean-tech and healthcare.
Private Equity: representation of private equity funds and their portfolio companies in general corporate matters, add-on acquisitions and sale transactions.
Business & Technology: representation of emerging companies in formation, governance, financings, equity incentive compensation and other general corporate matters.
- Counseled Braintree Payment Solutions in $800 million sale to eBay.
- Acted as outside general counsel to Braintree Payment Solutions, assisting with acquisition of Venmo, Series B financing, and various commercial agreements and corporate governance matters.
- Represented venture-backed healthcare IT company in $140 million sale.
- Represented private equity fund in $80 million acquisition of security technology company and simultaneous spin-off of target company’s software business.
- Represented private equity fund in leveraged buyout of surveillance software company and substantial equity investment in healthcare data analytics company.
- Represented growth equity fund in investments in acute care and hospice networks and sale of diagnostics company to public buyer.
- Represented start-up life sciences company in formation, vendor agreements, and equity and debt issuances.
- Represented renewable energy company in merger with public company.
- Represented clean-tech company in acquisition of organic materials manufacturer.
- Represented institutional investor in multiple mezzanine debt financings and equity co-investments in connection with leveraged buyouts.
Publications and Presentations
- “Environmental Claims Get Harder to Discharge," co-author, Bankruptcy Law360, November 2010.
- “Unlocking the iPhone: How Antitrust Law Can Save Consumers from the Inadequacies of Copyright Law,” author, Boston College Law Review, 2008.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. DeFeo is a member of the Boston Bar Association.
Education & Credentials
- Boston College Law School
- JD, 2009, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- Note Editor, Boston College Law Review
- Boston College
- BA, 2006, summa cum laude
U.S. District Court, Massachusetts
Choate recently represented Mainsail Partners in its $60 million growth equity investment in FairWarning Technologies.
Choate advised longtime client Mainsail Partners in its equity investment in PestRoutes, a Texas-based provider of business management software for the pest control industry