Paul Laudano, Chair of Choate's Real Estate Group, has 20 years of experience counseling business owners, asset managers, developers and entrepreneurs on building strategies to acquire and maximize the value of their assets. He has managed the acquisition, financing development and permitting of every kind of asset class, from offices and hotels to retail and residential developments, across the country. Additionally, Paul is experienced with joint ventures, complex corporate restructurings and loan workouts. Through this broad experience he has gained a unique and valuable perspective that enables him to provide creative and thoughtful counsel on complex matters that contribute to the success of his clients.
Mr. Laudano is listed in Chambers USA and Best Lawyers in America.
Real Estate: representation of national and regional real estate developers and investors in all aspects of acquisition, financing, development, leasing and permitting in commercial, retail, hospitality, office and large-scale residential properties.
- Counsel to a REIT in the acquisition of a $400 million urban office and laboratory complex.
- New headquarters lease of 250,000 square feet of office space for a major Boston technology company.
- Representation of a private resort casino company as outside corporate counsel, including with respect to finance, entity formation, real estate and employment matters.
- Counsel to a top-five, national “big box” retail anchor on the acquisition and/or leasing of 30 land and redevelopment sites located in six states. This representation has included commercial condominiums, air rights, ground leasing, public incentives and the prosecution of land use and title disputes and litigation.
- Representation of a joint venture partner in the restructuring and sale of a $175 million office park.
- Lease of space in a Cambridge, Massachusetts mixed use project for a major life sciences tenant.
- Counsel to a real estate private equity company in the acquisition, financing and leasing of a $150 million of commercial, multi-family and hospitality properties.
- Representation of an ad hoc committee of holders of $1.55 billion exchangeable notes in the Chapter 11 proceedings of General Growth Properties, Inc., the country’s second-largest mall operator.
- Representation of a national financial institution in connection with its restructuring of $120+ million in secured financing.
- Representation of a publicly held company in connection with a $200+ million financing of real estate holdings in three states.
- Tenant’s counsel to a national bank on a marquee CBD office and retail lease.
- Counsel to equity investor in connection with the acquisition, financing and development of a $60 million condominium property.
- Counsel to an international REIT in connection with acquisition, land use permitting and municipal law matters for the redevelopment and expansion of several regional malls.
- Counsel to the developer of a 120-unit apartment complex and other improvements in connection with the closing of its construction loan facility.
- Representation of the owner of several nursing home and assisted living facilities relative to the disposition of the owner’s assets.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. Laudano is a member of the International Council of Shopping Centers, NAIOP, the Commercial Real Estate Development Association, the Real Estate Finance Association, and the Urban Land Institute. He is also past counsel for the Board of Directors at Charlestown Nursery School and former Director and real estate counsel for The Historic Neighborhoods Foundation.
Education & Credentials
- University of Virginia School of Law
- JD, 1998
- Boston University
- BA, 1994, magna cum laude
Forty-four of our attorneys – including more than 75 percent of the Firm’s equity partners – have been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2021.
Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business recognized 27 Choate partners as leading counsel in their respective fields, with several receiving Band 1 rankings.
On April 20, 2020, Governor Baker signed into law “An Act providing for a moratorium on evictions and foreclosures during the COVID-19 Emergency.”
More than 75 percent of the Firm’s equity partners have been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2020.
Chambers USA Guide to America's Leading Lawyers for Business recognized 28 Choate lawyers as leading counsel in their respective fields, with six receiving Band 1 rankings.
On April 17, 2019, the Department of Treasury and the IRS released a second set of proposed regulations on Qualified Opportunity Zone investments. The proposed regulations address many of the questions and issues surrounding the Qualified Opportunity Zone program, in some cases supplementing and clarifying a first set of proposed regulations that were issued on October 29, 2018.