Sarah Broughel is a Partner in the Firm's Real Estate Group.
Environmental & Land Use: over 20 years of experience counseling clients on environmental due diligence and allocation of environmental liabilities associated with corporate and real estate transactions; brownfields redevelopment; management of hazardous waste site investigation and cleanup; environmental land use restrictions; environmental insurance; environmental audits; permitting and compliance under federal, state and local laws related to hazardous waste, solid waste, air and wastewater emissions, vapor intrusion, toxic chemicals, mold, asbestos, lead paint, transportation, zoning, tidelands, wetlands, endangered species, and Massachusetts Environmental Policy Act; land protection and conservation restrictions. Maintains an active litigation and administrative practice concerning environmental, governmental enforcement and zoning matters.
- Advised property owners on assessment of environmental conditions in anticipation of disposition and proposed redevelopment of urban industrial facilities, including a working power plant.
- Negotiated administrative consent orders with United States Environmental Protection Agency and Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection with respect to compliance with wastewater, hazardous waste, storm water, and air quality regulations.
- Advised client on hazardous materials issues, including PCBs and asbestos in building materials, in connection with demolition and redevelopment of shopping mall and parking garage.
- Advised client of environmental liabilities and negotiated environmental indemnifications and escrow in connection with purchase of stock of manufacturing company with known contamination. Post-closing, advised client with respect to management of investigation and risk based cleanup of chlorinated solvents in groundwater and recovery of escrow funds from prior owner.
- Negotiated multi-site environmental insurance coverage in connection with purchase of overnight delivery company assets.
- Negotiated environmental representations, warranties, indemnities, construction and remediation protocols on behalf of landlord in connection with leases of 11 fuel service areas.
- Representation of sellers, purchasers and lenders in connection with disposition, acquisition, financing of industrial and commercial properties and redevelopment of brownfields sites.
- Advised clients with respect to Brownfields Covenants Not to Sue.
- Advise clients with respect to Massachusetts Environmental Policy Act review and litigation with respect to land transfers and projects.
- In anticipation of proposed sale and development of protected habitat, advised client with respect to endangered species impacts and negotiated conservation and management permit under Massachusetts Endangered Species Act.
- Representation of potentially responsible parties in litigation, arbitration and administrative matters related to state and federal Superfund sites.
- Representation of property owners in connection with wetlands appeals .
- Representation of property owners in connection with permitting and litigation matters involving Chapter 91.
Publications and Presentations
Professional and Community Involvement
Ms. Broughel is a member of the Boston Bar Association Environmental Law Section, the American Bar Association Section on Environment, Energy and Resources, the National Association of Office and Industrial Properties and Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW).
Ms. Broughel is a corporate trustee and member of the advisory council of the Trustees of Reservations. Ms. Broughel serves on the land conservation committee of the Trustees of Reservations. She is also a member of the Board of Directors of Massachusetts Land Conservation Trust. Ms. Broughel is an Advisor to Thompson Island Outward Bound.
Education & Credentials
- Georgetown University Law Center
- JD, 1993
- Harvard College
- BA, 1988, magna cum laude