Sarah Broughel is a Partner in Choate's Real Estate Group.
Environmental & Land Use: over 20 years of experience counseling clients on environmental due diligence and allocation of environmental liabilities associated with corporate and real estate transactions; brownfields redevelopment; management of hazardous waste site investigation and cleanup; environmental land use restrictions; environmental insurance; environmental audits; permitting and compliance under federal, state and local laws related to hazardous waste, solid waste, air emissions, wastewater discharge, vapor intrusion, toxic chemicals, mold, asbestos, lead paint, transportation, zoning, tidelands, wetlands and endangered species; Massachusetts Environmental Policy Act review; land protection and conservation restrictions. Maintains an active litigation and administrative practice concerning environmental, governmental enforcement and zoning matters.
- Advised property owners on assessment of environmental conditions and allocation of environmental risk in anticipation of disposition and proposed redevelopment of urban industrial facilities, including a working power plant.
- Negotiated administrative consent orders with United States Environmental Protection Agency and Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection with respect to compliance with wastewater, hazardous waste, storm water, and air quality regulations.
- Advised client on management of PCBs and asbestos in building materials in connection with demolition and redevelopment of shopping mall and parking garage.
- Negotiated environmental indemnifications and escrow in connection with purchase of stock of manufacturing company with contaminated properties. Post-closing, advised client with respect to management of investigation and risk based clean up of chlorinated solvents in groundwater and recovery of escrow funds from prior owner.
- Negotiated environmental insurance coverage in connection with acquisitions of industrial facilities and brownfields redevelopment.
- Advised lenders in connection with environmental liabilities related to financing and foreclosure of contaminated property.
- In anticipation of proposed sale and development of property, representation of client with respect to application for conservation and management permit under Massachusetts Endangered Species Act.
- Representation of potentially responsible parties in litigation, arbitration and administrative matters related to state and federal Superfund sites.
- Representation of property owners in connection with wetlands appeals.
- Representation of property owners in connection with permitting and litigation matters involving Chapter 91.
- Representation of landlords and tenants in lease negotiations with respect to environmental and "green building" obligations.
Publications and Presentations
Professional and Community Involvement
Ms. Broughel is a member of the Boston Bar Association Environmental Law Section, the American Bar Association Section on Environment, Energy and Resources, the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP), and Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW).
Ms. Broughel is a corporate trustee of the Trustees of Reservations. Ms. Broughel serves on the land conservation committee of the Trustees of Reservations. She is also a member of the Board of Directors of Massachusetts Land Conservation Trust. Ms. Broughel is an Advisor to Thompson Island Outward Bound.
Education & Credentials
- Georgetown University Law Center
- JD, 1993
- Harvard College
- BA, 1988, magna cum laude
Choate advised longtime client Mainsail Partners in its equity investment in PestRoutes, a Texas-based provider of business management software for the pest control industry