Shaun Barnes represents domestic and international private equity, growth equity, and venture capital fund sponsors. Focusing on middle-market and lower-middle market firms, Shaun advises fund sponsors on all aspects of the fund formation process, including structure, key terms, marketing, and negotiations with investors, as well as advising fund sponsors and institutional investors in connection with primary fund investments and secondary transactions. Shaun also counsels clients regarding the structure and terms of their internal business arrangements, and assists with regulatory and compliance issues, particularly with respect to the Investment Advisers Act. As a result of his time practicing overseas, Shaun brings a unique breadth of experience to his client work.
His clients have included New Energy Capital Partners, Chiratae Ventures, Omega Funds, i-Qu & Co., LFM Capital Partners, and Grove Street Advisors.
Sverica Capital Management Fund VI, a $750 million private equity fund.
Riverside Partners in a $532 million, multi-asset GP-led secondary transaction.
- New Energy Capital Infrastructure Credit Fund II, a $500 million clean energy infrastructure fund.
- LFM Capital Partners II, a $184 million private equity fund focused on the manufacturing and industrial sector.
- Grove Street Advisors on the formation of multiple separately managed accounts for global institutional investors.
- Cherry Ventures Management GmbH on U.S. fundraising and structuring matters.
- BY Capital Management GmbH on U.S. fundraising and structuring matters.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member of the Boston Bar Association’s International Law Steering Committee and the International Transactions Subcommittee
Education & Credentials
- Duke University School of Law
- JD, 2012, magna cum laude
- Boston University
- MA, 2009
- Boston University
- BA, 2005, summa cum laude
Sverica Capital Management Closes $750M Fund VI
Choate represented Sverica Capital Management, a leading growth-oriented middle market private equity firm, in the formation of its sixth private equity fund.
SEC Proposes Significant New Regulations for Advisers to Private Investment Funds
On February 9, 2022, the Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”) published proposed regulations for investment advisers whose clients include private funds (the “Proposal”).
New Energy Capital Acquired by Victory Capital
Choate represented New Energy Capital in its sale to Victory Capital. Based in Hanover, New Hampshire, New Energy Capital (NEC) is a leading alternative asset management firm focused on debt and equity investments in clean energy infrastructure projects and companies.
Choate Advises Chiratae Ventures on the Formation of its $337M Fund IV
Choate represented Chiratae Ventures on the formation of its oversubscribed $337M Fund IV.
Riverside Partners Closes $532M Continuation Fund
Choate represented Riverside Partners in the closing of a new $532M Continuation Fund, led by funds advised by Neuberger Berman, a private, independent, employee-owned investment manager.