Brian Goldstein, co-chair of Choate’s Business & Technology Practice Group, has more than 35 years of experience advising venture capital and growth equity investors and innovative, high-growth companies in health IT, healthcare services, life sciences, and medical device industries, on their most important transactions and helping them to increase the returns on their investments.
Brian regularly advises on financings, strategic partnerships and licensing agreements, mergers and acquisitions, and general business counseling. His international practice includes cross-border financings and acquisitions, as well as advice on other U.S.-based activities, for companies headquartered or with significant operations in the United Kingdom/Ireland, Europe, and Israel.
Brian previously served as Assistant General Counsel at Groundwater Technology, Inc., where he handled SEC reporting; acquisitions, divestitures, and joint ventures; and the sale of a controlling interest of the company to Fluor Daniel.
Brian has advised sophisticated investment funds and globally-recognized investors and companies, including 5AM Ventures, Bain Capital Life Sciences, Perceptive Advisors (via Perceptive Xontogeny), and Transformation Capital Partners.
- The Legal 500 (2014-2023)
- Best Lawyers in America (2023)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyer
- Representation of Transformation Capital Partners in growth equity investments in Health IT and Healthcare Services companies, such as Datavant, Grow Therapy, Longevity Health Plan, LetsGetChecked, Parachute Health, Patient Ping, PlushCare, and Vera Whole Health.
- Representation of Bain Capital Life Sciences in growth equity investments in drug development companies, such as Arcutis and ViaCyte.
- Representation of Broadview Ventures in early-stage investments in drug development and medical devices companies, such as Aleviant Medical, CardiAQ Valve Technologies, HAYA Therapeutics, Remedy Pharmaceuticals, Renovacor, and Vectorious Medical Technologies.
- Representation of 5AM Ventures in early-stage investments in drug development and HealthIT companies, such as Camp4 Therapeutics, Fellow Health, Nvelop, and Skye Bioscience.
- Representation of Perceptive Xontogeny Ventures in early-stage investments in drug development companies, such as AsclepiX Therapeutics and CereVasc.
- Sale of Vera Whole Health to Clayton Dubilier & Rice.
- Sale of Cosman Medical to Boston Scientific Corporation.
- Sale of Bournewood Health Systems to Alita Care, a portfolio company of Kholberg & Company.
- Sale of WebCollage, a division of Answers Corporation, to Gladson, a portfolio company of Wicks Group.
- Sale of The Whittier Pavilion to Acadia Healthcare.
- Representation of Allotex in Series B investment by a syndicate of US and EU investors, including KCK, Panakes and Supernova.
- Representation of CytoTronics, a biotechnology company building a next-generation complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor (CMOS)-powered drug discovery platform, in its $9.25 million initial seed funding.
- Representation of Nuanced Health in Series Seed investment led by 8VC.
- Representation of Lantos Technologies in investments by RA Capital and Catalyst Health Ventures.
- “Build to Buy” option transactions by Shire with Nimbus Discovery, Inception 1, and ArmaGen.
- “Build to Buy” option transaction by Symbiotix Biotherapies with AbbVie.
Publications and Presentations
- “The Rising Asymmetry in Deal Terms Across the Ecosystem,” moderator, Boston Biotech Forum, October 2021.
- "Roche, Merck Pick Up Biotech Startups After Other Buyers Passed," quoted, Wall Street Journal, November, 2019.
- “The Nuts & Bolts of Company Formation,” moderator, Boston Biotech Forum, September 2019.
- “The Evolution of Finance,” panelist, Boston Biotech Forum, September 2018.
- “Starting a Biotech Company: Where to Begin,” webinar presenter, Xconomy, March 2018.
- On-going presenter at UMass Lowell Innovation Hub Education Series for Technology Start-ups.
- "Driving Innovation & Success," panelist, Massachussetts Advanced Manufacturing Summit, September 2016.
- “Option Deals for Biotech: Ensuring They are Enforceable,” author, Mergers & Acquisitions Law360.
- “Women’s Enterprise Initiative Business Forum,” panelist, Women’s Enterprise Initiative.
- “Crisis Management and Tough Judgment Calls in Representing Emerging Growth Companies,” speaker, Practising Law Institute’s Venture Capital 2014: Nuts and Bolts Program, New York.
- “Funding Gap for Life Science Companies Is Still a Problem,” co-author, Life Sciences Law360.
- “Raising Capital for Start-up Businesses,” panelist, Harvard Business School Association of Boston.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Former member of Choate’s Executive Committee
- Member of the American Bar Association, Boston Bar Association, and Association for Corporate Growth
- Chairman of the Board of One Can Help, an organization that helps at-risk children and families involved in the juvenile court system by providing critical resources they urgently need to create positive change in their lives
- Strategic Advisor to Next Level Boston
Education & Credentials
- University of Virginia School of Law
- JD, 1988
- University of Virginia
- BA, 1983, with honors
Brian 's Collaborators
Brian 's Insights
The current FTC leadership has been making strong statements against private equity roll-ups across industry sectors, and on September 21, 2023, acted on this rhetoric by suing a large health care provider in Texas, along with its founding private equity sponsor.
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), with the concurrence of the Department of Justice (DOJ), recently published proposed rules aimed at radically expanding the information that goes into a Hart-Scott-Rodino (HSR) filing. By the FTC’s estimate, the time required to complete an HSR filing will increase, on average, by 107 hours.
The 2023 edition of The Legal 500 recognized 29 Choate attorneys in their respective fields and 12 practice areas, with education and middle-market M&A receiving Tier 1 rankings.
Hart-Scott-Rodino (HSR) filing thresholds will be adjusted upward effective February 27, 2023. Effective on the same day, the HSR filing fees will be decreased for relatively small transactions and increased for relatively large transactions.
Choate represented Transformation Capital as the lead investor in a $24M Series B investment in Plume, the leading gender-affirming virtual care provider.