Brian Goldstein, co-chair of the firm's Business & Technology Group, and a former member of the Firm Committee, has over 25 years of experience in the areas of general business, venture capital, technology and life sciences transactions and M&A.
Mr. Goldstein previously served as Assistant General Counsel at Groundwater Technology, Inc., where he handled SEC reporting; acquisitions, divestitures, and joint ventures; and the sale of a controlling interest of the company to Fluor Daniel.
He is listed in The Legal 500, Best Lawyers in America and is named a Massachusetts Super Lawyer.
Business & Technology: general counsel to growth-oriented companies in a variety of industries, including digital media, Internet, software, biotech and medical devices, advising on domestic and international strategic partnerships, licensing and distribution agreements and general business counseling. His international practice includes cross-border financings and acquisitions, as well as advice on other US-based activities, for companies headquartered or with significant operations in Israel.
Mergers & Acquisitions: national and cross-border mergers and acquisitions on behalf of public and private companies in a wide range of industries.
Private Equity: recapitalizations and investments in early stage ventures and later stage companies for private equity and venture capital firms.
Venture Capital & Private Equity Matters
- Representation of companies in seed, Series A and follow-on rounds of venture capital financing.
- Representation of Israeli technology companies organized in Delaware in recapitalizations and venture capital investments.
- Representation of Leerink Transformation Partners in growth equity investments in Vera Whole Health and Scientist.com.
- Representation of syndicate of venture capital, late stage and hedge funds led by Battery Ventures in recapitalization of and investment in ITA Software.
- Representation of Broadview Ventures in investments in early stage cardiovascular medical device and therapeutic companies.
- Representation of Atlas Ventures and Wellington Partners in spinout of software product line from existing company based in Germany and investment in the new enterprise.
Mergers & Acquisitions Matters
- Representation of digital media company in sale to ComScore.
- Representation of instrumentation company in sale to MKS Instruments.
- Representation of Dotomi, Inc. in $300 million merger with ValueClick.
- Representation of Retail Convergence, Inc. (parent company of Rue La La and SmartBargains e-commerce sites) in $350 million merger with GSI Commerce.
- Representation of Israeli software provider in sale to EMC.
- Representation of Shire in strategic investment and “Build to Buy” transactions with Nimbus Discovery, Inception 1 and ArmaGen.
- Representation of a medical device company in sale to Boston Scientific.
- Representation of healthcare services company to Alita Care, a portfolio company of Kholberg & Company.
- Representation of provider of innovative technology products for military, homeland security and commercial markets in acquisition by Fortune 200 company, including spinout of medical device business excluded from transaction.
- Representation of Groundwater Technology, Inc., as Assistant General Counsel in acquisitions, divestitures and sale of controlling interest of company to Fluor Daniel with proceeds over $350 million.
Licensing & Strategic Partnerships Matters
- Representation of Israeli-based company in license transaction with Fortune 500 media and cable company.
- Representation of tissue engineering company in R&D collaboration agreement with Fortune 50 consumer products company.
- Representation of molecular therapeutics company in “Build to Buy” transaction with Abbvie.
Publications and Presentations
- On-going presenter at UMass Lowell Innovation Hub Education Series for Technology Start-ups.
- “Driving Innovation & Success,” panelist, Massachusetts Advanced Manufacturing Summit, September 2016.
- "Option Deals for Biotech: Ensuring They are Enforceable," author, Mergers & Acquisitions Law360, December 2014.
- "Women’s Enterprise Initiative Business Forum," panelist, Women’s Enterprise Initiative, September 2014.
- “Crisis Management and Tough Judgment Calls in Representing Emerging Growth Companies,” speaker, Practising Law Institute’s Venture Capital 2014: Nuts and Bolts Program, New York, February 2014, April 2015.
- “Funding Gap for Life Science Companies Is Still a Problem,” co-author, Life Sciences Law360, September 2013.
- “Raising Capital for Start-up Businesses,” panelist, Harvard Business School Association of Boston, February 2013.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. Goldstein is a former member of the firm’s Executive Committee. He is also a member of the American Bar Association, Boston Bar Association and Association for Corporate Growth.
Education & Credentials
- University of Virginia School of Law
- JD, 1988
- University of Virginia
- BA, 1983, with honors
Brian 's Insights
Choate recently advised Cyteir Therapeutics in its $29 million Series B preferred stock financing. The investment was led by Venrock, who was joined by returning investors including Celgene, along with new investors Lightstone Ventures and DROIA Oncology Ventures.
Locus Robotics, the provider of autonomous, mobile robots for use in e-commerce fulfillment warehouses has raised $25 million in new funding led by Silicon Valley-based Scale Venture Partners.
Choate recently represented Symbiotix Biotherapies, Inc. (Symbiotix), a pioneering microbiome company developing novel molecular therapeutics based on the human microbiome, in its recent equity financing from Kairos Ventures, LLC.