Daniel Riley is corporate and securities counsel at Choate, joining the firm after practicing with a Wall Street law firm in New York. Mr. Riley has been named a Massachusetts Super Lawyer Rising Star. Mr. Riley is a versatile corporate lawyer who counsels clients regarding a wide range of transactional and corporate law matters. Mr. Riley advises clients across the spectrum – from private equity funds to public companies – on significant mergers, acquisitions, and similar transactions as well as day to day strategic and commercial matters. Mr. Riley represents issuers and underwriters in capital markets transactions, and advises clients on general corporate and securities law matters, including SEC compliance.
Prior to law school, Mr. Riley served as an information technology officer and oceanography officer in the US Navy.
Private Equity: represents private equity funds in connection with initial investments, sales and other interim transactions. Advises portfolio companies on strategic and commercial matters.
Mergers & Acquisitions: represents private equity sponsor-backed, as well as venture- and founder-backed companies in acquisitions, sales and recapitalizations.
General Corporate & Securities: provides counsel on general corporate matters for public and private companies, venture capital transactions, securities law compliance issues and mergers and acquisitions.
Capital Markets: represents underwriters and investors in connection with public and private debt and equity securities offerings, including public utilities and public utility holding companies.
- Represented natural resources company in registered debt offering in connection with major strategic acquisition.
- Represented leading private equity fund client in recent leveraged buyouts in manufacturing industries.
- Represented leading private equity fund client in acquisition in the textiles industry.
- Represented multiple public, venture-backed and founder-backed technology companies in acquisitions by strategic and financial investors.
- Represented multiple dental service organizations in their acquisitions by private equity funds.
- Represented multiple international clients in acquisition of U.S. based engineering and technology companies.
- Represented clients in sales of their businesses in the healthcare and wealth management industries.
- Represented technology companies in initial public offerings of common stock, and represented both issuers and underwriters in follow-on public offerings of common stock and other equity securities.
- Represented underwriters and investors in debt capital markets transactions totaling over $1 billion for public utility companies.
- Represented private equity funds in multiple growth equity investments (and exits).
Education & Credentials
- University of Pennsylvania Law School
- JD, 2008, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- Pennsylvania State University
- BS, 1999, Computer Science
Choate recently represented the underwriters, led by Barclays Capital Inc., Goldman Sachs & Co. LLC, PNC Capital Markets LLC, RBC Capital Markets, LLC and TD Securities (USA) LLC, in a $900,000,000 public offering of two series of senior notes by Eversource Energy.
Choate represented Great Hill Partners, a leading growth-oriented private equity firm, in its definitive cross-border agreement to sell its controlling interest in portfolio company Ascenty, LLC, the largest provider of data center and fiber infrastructure services in Brazil, to Digital Realty (NYSE: DLR). The transaction values the company at over $1.8 billion.
Choate represented BV Investment Partners in its $50 million investment in Consero Global, a Finance as a Service company that provides tech-enabled finance and accounting services to growing and mid-market companies.
Choate represented Tower Arch Capital, a Utah-based private equity fund, in its acquisition of Panoramic Doors, a designer and manufacturer of patented, independent panel patio door systems used in residential and commercial applications.
Choate represented Synoptek, a top-ranked IT managed service and cloud service provider and portfolio company of Sverica Capital Management, in its acquisition of Indusa, a global technology company focused on end-to-end enterprise software solutions.