John Pitfield is co-chair of Choate’s Business & Technology Group. He has been named a top lawyer in Corporate/M&A by Chambers USA and a Best Lawyer in America in Securities Regulation law. He has also been named in The Legal 500 for middle market private equity buyouts and a Massachusetts Super Lawyer.
Corporate & Securities: public offerings, tender offers and debt and equity financings, for both US and Canadian companies.
Mergers & Acquisitions: corporate transactions for public and private companies, including all types of mergers, acquisitions, leveraged buyouts and going private transactions for companies in a broad spectrum of industries.
Private Equity: all aspects of capital raising and acquisition of target companies for funds of all types.
Public Company Compliance: corporate governance matters, public company reporting and regulatory compliance, including with the rules and regulations of the United States Securities and Exchange Commission and The Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002.
- Representation of Claris Vision in its sale to Eli Global.
- Representation of John Risley, co-founder of Clearwater Fine Foods Incorporated, and affiliated entity FP Resources USA Inc. in the acquisition of The First Marblehead Corporation (NYSE: FMD).
- Representation of Dermatology Associates and Candescent Partners in sale of Dermatology Associates to ABRY Partners.
- Representation of Quadrant Software and Candescent Partners in sale of Quadrant Software to Fresche Legacy.
- $100 million follow-on offering for Nasdaq-listed company.
- Represented Canadian biotechnology and marketing companies in US “wrap” components of Canadian bought deals.
- $20 million buyout acquisition of dental management company.
- $100 million acquisition of privately-held US company.
- $400 million disposition of division of public US company.
- $40 million disposition of privately-held US company.
Publications and Presentations
- "Let's Make a U.S. Deal," co-author, Best Lawyers Winter Business Edition, December 2015.
- "Practical Tips for Canadian Companies Launching in the U.S. Market," speaker, Canadian Entrepreneurs in New England's 48hrs in the Hub, Boston, April 2015.
- “Practical Tips for Canadian Companies Launching in the US Market,” speaker, Canadian Entrepreneurs in New England's 48hrs in the Hub, October 2014.
- “Proxy Statement Interactive Breakfast Seminar,” panelist, RR Donnelley, October 2013.
- “Practical Tips for Canadian Companies Launching in the US Market,” speaker, the Canadian Technology Accelerator and the Canadian Entrepreneurs in New England's 48 Hours in the Hub, October 2013.
- “Q&A With Choate’s John Pitfield,” featured, Securities Law360, May 2013.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. Pitfield is a member of the American and Boston Bar Associations. He is the former co-chair and serves on the Board of Visitors of Fenway Health, a leading Boston-based LGBT health provider and research institute.
Education & Credentials
- University of Toronto Law School
- LLB, 1997
- Queen's University
- BA, 1994, first class distinction
Choate represented Datawatch Corporation (Nasdaq-CM: DWCH), a leading data intelligence software company, in its definitive merger agreement to be acquired by Altair (Nasdaq: ALTR), a machine learning and optimization provider.
Choate announced today that 48 of its attorneys – more than 75 percent of the Firm’s equity partners – have been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2019.
We were honored to host a discussion focusing on the theme of Private Equity and Venture Capital investment opportunities in the Autonomous Vehicles (AV) and Smart Cities space.