John Pitfield is co-chair of Choate's Business & Technology Group. He was named the 2016 Boston “Lawyer of the Year” for Securities Regulation by Best Lawyers and a “2016 Client Service All-Star” by The BTI Consulting Group in the M&A and Securities and Capital Markets categories. He has also been named in The Legal 500 for middle market private equity buyouts and a Massachusetts Super Lawyer.
Corporate & Securities: public offerings, tender offers and debt and equity financings, for both US and Canadian companies.
Mergers & Acquisitions: corporate transactions for public and private companies, including all types of mergers, acquisitions, leveraged buyouts and going private transactions for companies in a broad spectrum of industries.
Private Equity: all aspects of capital raising and acquisition of target companies for funds of all types.
Public Company Compliance: corporate governance matters, public company reporting and regulatory compliance, including with the rules and regulations of the United States Securities and Exchange Commission and The Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002.
- Representation of Claris Vision in its sale to Eli Global.
- Representation of John Risley, co-founder of Clearwater Fine Foods Incorporated, and affiliated entity FP Resources USA Inc. in the acquisition of The First Marblehead Corporation (NYSE: FMD).
- Representation of Dermatology Associates and Candescent Partners in sale of Dermatology Associates to ABRY Partners.
- Representation of Quadrant Software and Candescent Partners in sale of Quadrant Software to Fresche Legacy.
- $100 million follow-on offering for Nasdaq-listed company.
- Represented Canadian biotechnology and marketing companies in US “wrap” components of Canadian bought deals.
- $20 million buyout acquisition of dental management company.
- $100 million acquisition of privately-held US company.
- $400 million disposition of division of public US company.
- $40 million disposition of privately-held US company.
Publications and Presentations
- "Let's Make a U.S. Deal," co-author, Best Lawyers Winter Business Edition, December 2015.
- "Practical Tips for Canadian Companies Launching in the U.S. Market," speaker, Canadian Entrepreneurs in New England's 48hrs in the Hub, Boston, April 2015.
- “Practical Tips for Canadian Companies Launching in the US Market,” speaker, Canadian Entrepreneurs in New England's 48hrs in the Hub, October 2014.
- “Proxy Statement Interactive Breakfast Seminar,” panelist, RR Donnelley, October 2013.
- “Practical Tips for Canadian Companies Launching in the US Market,” speaker, the Canadian Technology Accelerator and the Canadian Entrepreneurs in New England's 48 Hours in the Hub, October 2013.
- “Q&A With Choate’s John Pitfield,” featured, Securities Law360, May 2013.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. Pitfield is a member of the American and Boston Bar Associations. He is the former co-chair and serves on the Board of Visitors of Fenway Health, a leading Boston-based LGBT health provider and research institute.
Education & Credentials
- University of Toronto Law School
- LLB, 1997
- Queen's University
- BA, 1994, first class distinction
We were honored to host a discussion focusing on the theme of Private Equity and Venture Capital investment opportunities in the Autonomous Vehicles (AV) and Smart Cities space.
Choate Partner John Pitfield Named to “2016 BTI Client Service All-Stars” List in Both M&A and Securities and Capital Markets Categories