Kevin Tormey has been named in The Legal 500 for mergers and acquisitions in the Northeast US.
Private Equity: representation of private equity funds and their portfolio companies in investment and buy-out transactions.
Mergers & Acquisitions: mergers, acquisitions, leveraged buyouts and going private transactions for companies in many industries, including media, software, information services and related businesses.
Intellectual Property: intellectual property licensing and transfers; patent matters primarily relating to the mechanical, electro-mechanical and medical device arts.
Recent Representative Transactions
- Acquisition of training company in petroleum industry.
- Investment in alarm services business.
- $100 million sale of medical device company.
- Acquisition of radio broadcasting businesses.
- Leveraged buyout of professional sports team and related businesses.
- $90 million sale of multinational manufacturing company.
- Acquisition of pharmaceutical manufacturing business.
- Leveraged buyout of cable, internet and telephone company.
- Sale of electronics packaging company to private equity fund.
- $40 million leveraged buyout of subscription based services company.
- $35 million leveraged buyout of information services company.
- Acquisition of five niche publications and related businesses.
- $350 million leveraged buyout of information services company.
- $125 million asset sale of healthcare publishing and seminar business, including sale of equity and mergers of subsidiaries.
- $190 million asset sale of information systems business.
- $210 million PIPE financing for Dutch public company and simultaneous $100 million acquisition by its US subsidiary.
- $110 million sale of specialized division of publishing company.
Prior to attending Boston College Law School, Mr. Tormey worked for four years as an engineer for General Electric.
Publications and Presentations
- “Targeting the Right Investment: Choices and Challenges in Private Equity Transactions,” author, chapter in Inside the Minds: Understanding Legal Trends in the Private Equity and Venture Capital Market, 2013.
- "Opportunities in the Middle Market," moderator, MIT Sloan Private Equity Symposium, April 2011.
- “Don’t Be So Fast to Convert LLCs to Corporations,” co-author, Buyouts Magazine, November 2009.
Education & Credentials
- Boston College Law School
- JD, 1996, summa cum laude
- Villanova University
- MS, 1992, Mechanical Engineering
- Lehigh University
- BS, 1989, with honors, Mechanical Engineering
US Patent & Trademark Office
Choate recently advised Mainsail Partners in the sale of its portfolio company, nCourt, LLC, to Government Brands, LLC, a portfolio company of Providence Strategic Growth.