Kim Kaplan-Gross focuses on the representation of domestic and international investment funds, including lower middle market private equity, growth equity, venture capital, fund-of-funds and other alternative asset management that help clients advance their strategic capabilities. A highly regarded worldwide resource, she has been recognized by clients as a “fabulous, talented lawyer with very good technical skills and a really effective negotiating style.” Kim’s approach to fund formation facilitates achievement of what is considered by all parties to be a “good deal,” as transactions that lead to repeat investments are in the best interests of both clients and limited partners. She is a member of Choate’s eight person Executive Committee.
Clients value Kim’s over 25 years of experience in leading fund formation, firm establishment (including team spin-outs), management company and general partner structuring and governance matters, regulatory matters, and creation and operation of separate account and special purpose investment programs. In fundraising, she advises fund sponsors on legal structuring matters, guides them in market positioning and setting proposed terms and conditions, and leads their investor negotiations. Additionally, Kim advises institutional investors in their investments in private equity funds, as well as in their acquisitions and dispositions of portfolios of private investment fund and operating company interests.
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers
- Chambers USA (2010-2023)
- Best Lawyers in America (2023)
- Leading lawyer in the area of Investment Funds in the United States by Legal Media Group’s ExpertGuides
- The Legal 500: Recommended Lawyer for Investment Fund Formation and Management (2018)
- Business Today “Top 10 Influencers in Massachusetts Private Equity Fund Formation 2023”
- Who’s Who Legal’s list of top Private Funds: Formation attorneys
- Represented LFM Capital on the formation of its $307M third fund.
- Represented New Energy Capital Partners in its management company sale to Victory Capital Management.
- Represented TLV Partners as it raised $320M for its fourth flagship fund and second opportunity fund.
- Represented Asymmetric Capital Partners on the formation of its oversubscribed $105M debut fund.
- Represented Marcy Venture Partners on the formation of its $325M second fund.
- Represented TrueBridge Capital Partners as it raised $170M for its Seed and Micro-VC Fund I, its first venture capital fund-of-funds focused solely on seed and micro-VC firms.
- Represented Chiratae Ventures on the formation of its oversubscribed $337M Fund IV.
- Represented Riverside Partners in the closing of a new $532M Continuation Fund.
- Represented TrueBridge Capital Partners as it raised $750M for Fund VII.
- Represented Sverica Capital as it raised $450M for Fund V.
- Represented Council Capital in its $200M fourth fund.
- Represented TrueBridge Capital Partners in its sale to P10 Holdings, Inc.
Publications and Presentations
- "Insurers Loom as Meaty Target for Private Equity," quoted, FUNDfire, November, 2017
- "Choate Hall & Stewart, On The Private Equity Middle-Market: Competition, Fee Pressure And China," quoted, Forbes, November 2017
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member of the Board of Directors of Boston University Hillel
- Member of the Investment Committee at Solomon Schechter Day School of Greater Boston
- Member of the Governance Committee of the Jewish Community Endowment Pool (JCEP) of the Combined Jewish Philanthropies of Greater Boston
- Member of the Choate Executive Committee
- Regular panelist and participant at industry events and symposia, including the Merrill Lynch Private Equity CFO Conference and NVCA's VentureScape
Education & Credentials
- University of Miami School of Law
- JD, 1994, Order of the Coif
- Boston University
- BS, 1989
The women of Choate’s Private Equity group hosted an evening reception at the Fosters Pavilion of the Boston Harbor Hotel following the first day of the Kayo Women’s Private Equity Summit. Choate and industry colleagues gathered to hear Joanne Chang, James Beard award winner and chef-owner of Flour, speak about her career path and experience as a woman in a male-dominated industry.
Choate hosted the Kayo Conference Series for a Women in Private Equity Pop-Up program, which brings together leading women in private equity, venture capital, and M&A who are looking to capitalize on strong valuations and back the next generation of entrepreneurs to transform company growth.
On August 23, 2023, the SEC adopted final regulations in a 658-page Adopting Release, significantly increasing the regulatory burden on advisers to private funds and impacting the scope and timing of private fund financial reporting.
The 2023 edition of Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business recognized 16 practice areas and 31 Choate attorneys as leading counsel in their fields, with six receiving Band 1 rankings, three receiving nationwide recognition, two global recognitions, and two senior statesmen.
Choate represented Sverica Capital Management, a leading growth-oriented middle market private equity firm, in the formation of its sixth private equity fund.