Michael Shinall, using his industry and research experience in the fields of chemistry and pharmaceuticals, works with clients to develop strategies to protect their technology and business assets. His practice focuses on patent portfolio management, post-grant proceedings, and licensing/transactional agreements.
During his time at Choate, Michael has assisted a wide variety of clients, big and small, from maintaining worldwide patent coverage for approved small molecule therapeutics, to establishing foundational IP to build value for a new company. Michael also counsels clients on lifecycle management of their critical programs, and works with clients to identify creative solutions to protect their valuable assets.
Michael also advises clients on contentious matters in the United States (including inter partes review and post-grant review proceedings), as well as extensions of those proceedings outside the U.S., such as third party observations in Europe.
Michael’s clients include Progenics Pharmaceuticals, Forma Therapeutics, Saudi Arabian Oil Company, Olema Oncology, and Casma Therapeutics.
Before law school, Michael was a medicinal chemist at AstraZeneca, where he designed and synthesized molecules for use as potential cancer therapeutics. In graduate school, Michael worked both on novel synthetic methods, as well as natural product synthesis. The majority of his work focused on visible light photoredox catalysis utilizing Ru(bpy)3Cl2 to promote an intramolecular radical addition to indoles and other organic compounds.
Prosecution, Counseling, and Diligence
- Prepares patent applications in the subject areas of chemistry, pharmaceuticals, and materials science for prosecution globally.
- Counsel and executed strategy to obtain broad formulation claims for product-stage small molecule therapeutic.
- Develop strategy for companies developing companion diagnostics.
- Represented multiple pharmaceutical companies as IP counsel in initial public offerings.
- Performed IP due diligence analyses and opinions for initial public offerings on behalf of private companies.
- Counsel for clients seeking collaboration agreements for research and clinical development.
- Counsel for Progenics Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in a PGR proceeding challenging a patent directed to compounds for preparing 18F-radiolabeled Prostate-Specific Membrane Antigen (PSMA)-targeting conjugates.
- Counsel for Saudi Arabian Oil Company in an IPR proceeding challenging a patent directed to polycarbonates.
- Assist with strategy in ex-U.S. suit brought by client against foreign entity related to radiopharmaceuticals through analysis of data, art, and expert declarations.
- Prepare arguments for third party observations for pharmaceutical company in Europe.
- Analyzed art and worked directly with expert to assist in preparation of expert report, and assisted with the preparation of demonstratives for jury trial in patent litigation.
Publications and Presentations
- “2022 Trends at the PTAB,” speaker, Boston Patent Law Association’s Annual Intellectual Property Symposium, June 2022.
- “Priority and Disclosure: Challenges and Protections to Small Inventors in a First-to-File World," author, 94 J.Pat. & Trademark Off. Soc’y 362.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member of the Boston Patent Law Association
- Member of the PTAB Bar Association
- Member of the Boston Bar Association
- Category 1 cyclist on the Green Line Velo/Zipcar Elite Cycling Team
Education & Credentials
- Boston College Law School
- JD, 2013
- Senior Editor, International & Comparative Law Review
- Boston University
- MA, 2009, Organic Chemistry
- Fairfield University
- BS, 2007
U.S. District Court, Massachusetts
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Michael Shinall will moderate a panel at the PTAB Bar Association Thought Leader Summit on November 9, 2022 from 2:00pm-5:00pm at the United States Patent and Trademark Office in Alexandria, Virginia.
Michael A. Shinall will be speaking at the Boston Patent Law Association's Intellectual Property Symposium on June 2, 2022.
Choate was a sponsor of the recent PTAB Bar Association Annual Conference in Washington D.C., where more than 150 practitioners, in-house counsel, and attorneys from law firms gathered to hear the latest updates and trends.
Six Choate attorneys – John Chambers, Kevin Finnerty, Dr. Xiaodong Li, Mike Shinall, Sean Small, and Shaina Wamsley London – have been elected principal at the Firm, effective May 1, 2021.