Sarah Camougis is a Partner in the firm's Private Equity Group. She has been named to Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly's 2013 "Top Women of Law" list. This award recognizes women who have made great professional strides and demonstrated outstanding accomplishments in private practice, the corporate arena and social advocacy.
Ms. Camougis advises private and public companies, private equity and venture capital funds, angel investors and management teams in a wide range of businesses in the United States, Canada and Europe. Her transactional experience includes private equity transactions, mergers and acquisitions, bankruptcy sales, senior and subordinated debt financings, recapitalizations, leveraged buyouts, workouts, restructurings, start-ups, employment and equity incentive arrangements and other general corporate matters.
Prior to joining the Firm, she served as a Law Clerk to United States Bankruptcy Judge Joan N. Feeney and later to United States Bankruptcy Judge Henry J. Boroff.
- Represented private equity investor in connection with £90 million investment in UK-based global benefits management and employee engagement software company.
- Represented Canadian private equity investor in acquisition of Florida based web hosting provider.
- Represented private equity investor in the $1.2 billion acquisition of RCN Corporation, including the split of RCN's cable and fiber businesses into separately financed portfolio companies.
- Advised investor in connection with a $27 million equity investment in an Internet entertainment publisher.
- Represented a NYSE-listed telecommunications strategic in a $500 million acquisition of a portfolio of property interests under approximately 1,800 communications sites.
- Advised private equity investor in company formed to acquire data centers in the United States.
- Advised private equity investor in investment in data center provider of infrastructure, colocation, private cloud and business continuity services in NY Metro region.
- Advised group of US investors in forming and financing a bidder in Industry Canada auction of advanced wireless services licenses with more than $225 million of equity investments.
- Advised US private equity investors in connection with equity investment in publicly held Singapore company that owns and operates fiber-based networks in Europe.
- Served as company counsel to one of the largest independent value-added solutions providers of network infrastructure and advanced technology solutions to business customers in the United States.
- Represented private equity investors in equity financings totaling more than $275 million of company that owns and operates fiber optic networks in certain regions of the United States.
- Guided management team in negotiation of $225 million of private equity financing of company formed to acquire and operate renewable energy projects.
- Represented lead equity sponsors in bidding consortium to buy Puerto Rico mobile wireless company out of bankruptcy for $156 million.
- Advised private equity investors in a series of related transactions culminating in the investors selling control of US broadband spectrum rights to a hedge fund and public company for an aggregate purchase price in excess of $350 million.
- Represented private equity investors in connection with equity financing, subordinated debt financing and senior debt financing of joint venture with Warner Bros. totaling $600 million (transaction was awarded "Media Industry Deal of Year" by Investor Dealer Digest).
- Represented private equity investors in acquisition and financings of broadband cable company serving residential and business customers in western United States.
- Advised private equity investors in financings of communications tower businesses and sales to private equity and strategic buyers.
- Represented private equity investors in acquisition, equity financings and debt financings of Cleveland-based wireless provider.
- Advised private equity investor in connection with $300 million leveraged buyout of a mobile production company.
- Advises New York-based angel investing group focused on investments in women-owned businesses.
- Corporate counsel to a publicly held radio and television broadcaster and advises them on acquisitions, financings and other corporate matters.
- Guided and negotiated the restructuring and recapitalization of a Florida-based CLEC.
- Represented private equity investors in formation and $120 million equity financing of a Bermuda-based company formed to engage in the ownership and operation of dark fiber networks in metropolitan areas in the US and Europe.
- From formation to merger with a public company in less than one year, Ms. Camougis was among a team representing a venture-backed holder (with over 20 investors) of communications spectrum.
Professional and Community Involvement
Ms. Camougis is a member of the Boston Bar Association, the European Venture Capital Association and the Women’s Association of Venture & Equity. She has coached female entrepreneurs in starting and growing their own businesses through her involvement in Springboard Enterprises and Center for Women & Enterprises. In addition, she is the founder and a board member of the Women's Association of Venture & Equity, a national networking organization for women in venture capital and private equity.
Education & Credentials
- Suffolk University School of Law
- JD, 1992
- University of Virginia
- BA, 1989
We were honored to host a discussion focusing on the theme of Private Equity and Venture Capital investment opportunities in the Autonomous Vehicles (AV) and Smart Cities space.
Choate recently advised M/C Partners and its portfolio company, Everstream Solutions LLC, in its definitive agreement to sell Everstream to AMP Capital.