Tobin Sullivan is a versatile corporate and securities attorney who counsels growth equity and venture capital investors and growing life sciences and technology companies, ranging from start-ups to pre-IPO companies to global public companies, on a wide range of transactional and corporate law matters. With extensive experience representing investors in growth equity, venture capital and cross-over financings for life sciences, biotech, healthcare and healthIT companies, he is described by clients as a highly responsive, strategic thinker who balances his strong market knowledge with practical business advice.
Tobin provides general corporate guidance on a variety of business matters, including venture capital and growth equity financings, national and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance matters, public company reporting, and SEC compliance. His clients have included Bain Capital Life Sciences, Surveyor Capital (a Citadel company), Andreessen Horowitz (a16z), Sectoral Asset Management, Transformation Capital, Pegasystems, Forrester Research, Riverside Partners, Summit Partners, and M/C Partners.
- Boston Magazine Top Lawyer 2021
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Star
Private Equity & Venture Capital Engagements
- Bain Capital Life Sciences’ growth equity investments in biotech companies, including:
- Arcutis Biotherapeutics (Nasdaq: ARQT) - $95 million Series C financing
- Aptinyx (Nasdaq: APTX) - $70 million Series B financing
- Atea Pharmaceuticals (Nasdaq: AVIR) - $215 million Series D financing
- Jnana Therapeutics - $107 million Series C financing
- JenaValve Technology - $100 million Series C financing
- Transformation Capital’s growth equity investments in Health IT and healthcare services companies
- Surveyor Capital’s growth equity and cross-over investments in life sciences companies, including:
- VelosBio - $137 million Series B financing
- Acrivon Therapeutics (Nasdaq: ACRV) - $100 million Series B financing
- Allogene (Nasdaq: ALLO) - $120 million private financing
- SpringWorks Therapeutics (Nasdaq: SWTX) - $125 million Series B financing
- ElevateBio - $170 million Series B financing
- Pliant Therapeutics - $100 million Series C financing
- Andreessen Horowitz’s venture capital and growth equity investments in bio + health, consumer and enterprise technology companies
- Summit Partners’ growth equity investments in software and technology companies
- The Chernin Group (TCG)’s growth equity investments, including:
- The Pro’s Closet
- Epic Gardening
- Sectoral Asset Management’s growth equity investments in therapeutics and medical device companies, including:
- Apnimed - $62.5 million Series C financing
- Apellis Pharmaceuticals (Nasdaq: APLS) - $60 million Series E financing
- LENZ Therapeutics - $83.5 million Series B financing
- M/C Partners’ carve-out acquisition of Ascend Technologies from West Monroe Partners
- Riverside Partners’ majority investment in 3Play Media
Business & Technology Engagements
- Creation Technologies’ acquisition of IEC Electronics Corp. (Nasdaq: IEC)
- Datawatch Corporation’s (Nasdaq: DWCH) $176 million merger with Altair Engineering (Nasdaq: ALTR)
- Examity Inc.’s $90 million growth equity investment from Great Hill Partners
- General counsel to satellite broadband company, including advising on its $1+ billion equity financing led by SoftBank
- BioRx’s $350 million sale to Diplomat Pharmacy (NYSE: DPLO)
- Cyteir Therapeutics’ equity financing led by Venrock Partners, Celgene, Lightstone Ventures, and DROIA Oncology Venture
- Cosman Medical’s sale to Boston Scientific (NYSE: BSX)
- FP Resources USA Inc.’s take-private acquisition of The First Marblehead Corporation (NYSE: FMD)
- Pegasystems Inc.’s (Nasdaq: PEGA) $600 million 144A convertible note financing
Publications and Presentations
Professional and Community Involvement
- Corporate pro bono work for the Center for Women & Enterprise
- Pro bono clients from the Lawyer’s Clearinghouse and Massachusetts Legal Clinic for the Homeless
- Member of the Boston Bar and American Bar Associations
- Member of Choate’s Hiring Committee
Education & Credentials
- Northeastern University School of Law
- JD, 2012
- Staff Member, Northeastern University Law Journal
- Cornell University
- BS, 2007
Enhanced Healthcare Partners Makes Strategic Growth Investment in Janus
Choate represented Enhanced Healthcare Partners in its strategic growth investment in Janus, a leading provider of healthcare revenue cycle management (RCM) technology.
Sectoral Asset Management Leads $83.5M Series B Financing for LENZ Therapeutics
Choate represented Sectoral Asset Management as lead investor in an oversubscribed Series B financing for LENZ Therapeutics, a late-stage clinical company developing innovative ophthalmic pharmaceutical products that improve vision.
SEC Adopts Shorter T+1 Settlement Cycle for Securities Transactions
Recently, the SEC adopted new rules and amendments intended to reduce time between the execution of securities transactions and their settlement, and calling for, among other things, a shorter T+1 settlement cycle for most securities transactions.
2023 Hart-Scott-Rodino Requirements
Hart-Scott-Rodino (HSR) filing thresholds will be adjusted upward effective February 27, 2023. Effective on the same day, the HSR filing fees will be decreased for relatively small transactions and increased for relatively large transactions.
Choate Elects Six to Partnership for 2023
Six Choate attorneys - Courtney Carr, Dallas Cruz, Lyndsey Kruzer, Jonathan Marshall, Samuel Rudman, and Tobin Sullivan - have been elected to partnership of the firm, effective January 1, 2023.
Bain Capital Life Sciences Leads $107M Series C Financing of Jnana Therapeutics
Choate represented Bain Capital Life Sciences in the $107M Series C Financing of Jnana Therapeutics, a biotechnology company leveraging its next-generation chemoproteomics platform to discover medicines for challenging-to-drug targets.