Tobin Sullivan is a versatile corporate and securities attorney who counsels clients regarding a wide range of transactional and corporate law matters.
Tobin has been named a Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Star.
Business & Technology: counsel for businesses ranging from start-ups, to pre-IPO companies, to global public companies in a variety of corporate transactions and business matters, including national and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, venture capital equity financings, corporate governance matters, public company reporting and SEC compliance and going private transactions.
Private Equity & Venture Capital: transactional counsel to leading private equity and venture capital firms in connection with portfolio company transactions, including minority investments, buyouts and leveraged recapitalizations, in a wide range of industries, including software and technology, biotech and medical devices, telecommunications, oil & gas and financial services.
Business & Technology Engagements:
- Represented BioRx in its $350 million sale to Diplomat Pharmacy (NYSE: DPLO).
- General counsel to satellite broadband company, including advising on its $1+ billion equity financing led by SoftBank.
- Represented FP Resources USA Inc. in the take-private acquisition of The First Marblehead Corporation (NYSE: FMD).
- Represented Datawatch Corporation (NASDAQ: DWCH) in its acquisition of Angoss Software Corporation, a Canadian data analytics company.
- Representation of Cyteir Therapeutics in equity financing by Venrock Partners, Celgene, Lightstone Ventures, and DROIA Oncology Venture.
- Represented U.S. public life sciences company in strategic acquisition of privately held life sciences company based in Switzerland.
- Represented Cosman Medical in sale to Boston Scientific (NYSE: BSX).
- Represented Nasdaq-listed life sciences company in $75 million follow-on offering.
Private Equity & Venture Capital Engagements:
- Represented leading private equity fund in its investment in an omni-channel retail software supplier and the company’s subsequent sale to a private-equity buyer.
- Represented private equity fund in $200+ million leveraged buyout of specialty hardware component manufacturer.
- $220+ million sale of private-equity backed fiber-optic bandwidth infrastructure services provider operating in the Northeast United States.
- Represented medical device company and its private equity sponsor in $33 million sale to Irish-based public company.
- Representation of Texas-based private equity fund in its growth equity investment in an oil and gas services company based in Canada.
Publications and Presentations
Professional and Community Involvement
Tobin is actively involved in corporate pro bono work for the Center for Women & Enterprise and has represented pro bono clients from the Lawyer’s Clearinghouse—Massachusetts Legal Clinic for the Homeless. He is currently a member of the Boston Bar and American Bar Associations. He currently serves on Choate’s Hiring Committee.
Education & Credentials
- Northeastern University School of Law
- JD, 2012
- Staff Member, Northeastern University Law Journal
- Cornell University
- BS, 2007
Choate recently represented Symbiotix Biotherapies, Inc., a pioneering venture-backed biotechnology company developing novel molecular therapeutics derived from the human microbiome, in negotiating its exclusive license agreement with Harvard University.
Choate recently advised Cyteir Therapeutics in its $29 million Series B preferred stock financing. The investment was led by Venrock, who was joined by returning investors including Celgene, along with new investors Lightstone Ventures and DROIA Oncology Ventures.
Choate recently represented Symbiotix Biotherapies, Inc. (Symbiotix), a pioneering microbiome company developing novel molecular therapeutics based on the human microbiome, in its recent equity financing from Kairos Ventures, LLC.